Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Was thinking of getting this tire. Any comments? Mostly fast road and some track use. The tread looks, well, mean! Plus it comes in the size that I want, 255/40R18 and 295/35R18. My other option would be the Toyo T1-S and Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3.

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
I have the KDW's and LOVE them. Very good handling and low road noise plus they seem to have held up well.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Great tire for the money. They last forever. Provide decent grip but little communication on the road course - the stiff sidewall results in violent spins when at its limit. I rate man 8/10 tire that lasts forever. Great wet traction too.

I road raced these tires extensively before moving up. Ran a 12.7 on these tires at BPU on 18s.

Falken Azenis may provide better grip at the same price point. I think it has a lower treadwear and have commented by some to get greasy when hot on the road course.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I had them on another car, they are very nice. I've also run the Eagle F1's you're considering, and I like those more. The Eagles are quieter and have better grip than the KD2's. This is from my personal experience only, and I'm only voicing my opinion on the matter.

The Falken RT615's, mentioned by sks, are nice tires too. They provide good grip. They one MAJOR downfall to them however... They are extrememly noisy. I mean, they are as loud as the BFG All-Terrain T/A's on my diesel truck. They aren't as loud as a race tire, but they are quite honestly the loudest street tire I've ever owned. That said, they provide phenominal grip for a street tire.

I currently have a set of the new Yoko Advan Sport's on my street wheels, and I like them; but I will be switching back to the Eagle F1's as they are quieter and provide more grip.

HTH.

- Chris

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
i have the kdw2's for my rear tires and they are great. i dont have any noise if any at all.
I should probably clarify... I agree that the KDW 2's are very quiet. I felt the only major difference between them and the Eagle F1's is that the F1's had better grip over time as they wore than my KDW 2's. Also, I noticed that the F1's were less prone to tramline, which is something that typically drives me nuts...

- Chris

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
heard great things about Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. Too bad they are discontinued.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We have this tire on our car and I feel I can find a street tire with a little more grip on dry pavement. The car is making 825WHP and it is a given that the tires will spin very easy but I feel like these tires don't fight back enough. They also where worn down to zero thread after one good beating. The short life is fine but it was to be at a compromise for grip. R compound DOT sounds good other then the sand and rocks flying everywhere on the street.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
My main complaint about the KDW 2's were that they had no grip once they were worn past about 70%. They were great for about 5,000 miles on my DD, but after that, they really started to lose their grip. The F1's held up like a champ for much longer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't comment on the durability but I put a set on in the fall and my initial reaction was quiet with very good traction. I took off a set of new Toyo's that were on the factory wheels. They were also quiet but not nearly as sticky as the BFG. 265 / 18 front & 295 / 18 rear.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I run them front and rear on my Supra for street tires and as everyone else has said it's a pretty nice tire for the money. They have decent dry grip and seem to wear very good. The tires are exceptional if you're ever in the rain, they do great.

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts
I run them on my singled Supra and they dead hook in boost in every gear (no joke). Naturally, on race gas it becomes another story but for pump gas they were nothing less than spectacular. Here's the pic of them on my car.

·
Registered
701 Posts
^^ They hook decent on my car but I can blow them off threw first (obviously) and second gear depending on how fast/hard you change gears. If it's a really warm day the traction is much better but they'll still spin if I go WOT from a slow 1st gear roll or pulling out somewhere.

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts
^^ They hook decent on my car but I can blow them off threw first (obviously) and second gear depending on how fast/hard you change gears. If it's a really warm day the traction is much better but they'll still spin if I go WOT from a slow 1st gear roll or pulling out somewhere.
True, I mean I do drive for a few miles before rippin' it up. But after they are warm, these tires do hook in 1st and 2nd gear on pump gas, 20lbs of boost on a 67mm. If the tires are cold they will spin but I think that would happen with any tire really.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have them on mine, f265/18 and r295/18. I think they are great, esp for the price. I still spin them but they def hook much better than anything else I have put on plus they have lasted a very long time so far. I will buy them again.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My BPU supra came with these tires when I bought it and I haven't been satisfied with them. I'm running 16-17psi of boost and the tires just spin in 1st and some of 2nd, even worse during a powershift. I've played with tire pressure and not much of a difference. I'm going to be swapping them out for a set of drag radials.

The treads do look killer!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I really like these tires. I have the exact same size the op is looking into and even at 18 psi on wet ground they hold very well in all gears.

I thought they were quite loud though. It might be because I haven't had a tire as wide as a 295 on the car before though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts