Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondring how everyone feels about the 3 different drag radials. I've never tried Hoosiers and from my research it looks like they are a whoppin 7lbs lighter per tire than the MT ET Street Radials I'm running now! 255/50/16 If they stick I'm going to try to get a pair. I've tried the BFG's in a 18" before and they aren't as sticky as the mickeys. I think mickeys are the stickiest but also the heaviest. 7lbs of unsprung weight per side is alot

·
Cam Only for now......
631 Posts
Mickeys are def the stickiest tire but they are heavy. Hoosier are also a great tire and lighter. I think is more a preference.... I love my MT drag radials, my best 60' on 275/40/17s with SS has been 1.57. I just recently switched to 15s 275/60s I'm hoping to get some better 60s with the smaller wheel and bigger side wall tire.

Ahmad was has been your best 60' if you don't mind me asking.

Matt

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only ben able to make a few passes on the MT's and I keep breaking axles. The best I have done on them is 1.55 so far. My 11.0 pass was on 18" BFG's wih a 1.62 60'. Once I get axles I can launch harder than ~1300rpm. I want to try the Hoosiers. The MTs definitely stick! I can't get them to spin! They just snap my axles lol. Hence the reason why I have 2 spares for this wednesday. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I ran MT et streets, MT radials, and now Hoosier radials. I will say i love the Hoosiers the most out of all 3 i ran yet. They just got a much better feel to them. I noticed they aren't as hard as the MT radials and wear faster is the only down side i found plus they are a little more expensive. But im buying Hoosiers for now on.

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
MT's all the way, i have had i think about 4 different sizes on my supra, and loved every single one of them...bfg's if your a 6spd guy run away (wheel hop city) if your auto, they are alright. hoosier d/r's no experience with them heard some good stuff but i know what works on my car. Just about everyone else who runs them knows how good they are (MT's). how fast are they going now on them like 22xmph?

to be honest Ahmad, you might want to think about going to an et street (slick)...the dr's don't flex and bend much compared to a slick. i know your having a lot of trouble keeping axles in the car, but the slicks MAY help keep those axles in one piece.

Ben Y

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Thats why i like my Hoosiers alot Ben. They have alot more side wall flex than the MT radials did. When i watch the video's in slow mo you can really see the change's. But like Ben was sayin Ahmad if your breaking axles stay away from the radials in general none of them are as forgiving as a true slick.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I run a bias ply i.e. et street on the rear and run radials up front am I gonna hit a wall? lol People keep tellin me not to mix the tires. Btw, et street is 7lbs lighter than the et street radial and same weight as the hoosier radial.

Do you guys buy your tires locally or online?

·
Southern MD Stig
798 Posts
Yes, any of the drag radials (such as the MT, BFG's, et) you can run with your stock front wheels... but true soft walled slicks you definitely need to run skinnies up front with*

~ K

·
Cam Only for now......
631 Posts

I get mine from speed unlimited, usually have mickeys in stock. I'm not sure about hoosiers though.

Matt

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Ben, What size MT are you runing?
Im running 325/50-15's now (weld wheel) - amazing traction - huge sidewall great for street imho
255/50-16's (stock n/a wheels) - decen traction - was BPU at the time but couldnt spin them
315/35-17's (ccw wheel) - decent traction - low sidewall, ok for street.
275/40-17's (stock wheel) - great traction for size money and availability - decent sidewall hooked great

Thats why i like my Hoosiers alot Ben. They have alot more side wall flex than the MT radials did. When i watch the video's in slow mo you can really see the change's. But like Ben was sayin Ahmad if your breaking axles stay away from the radials in general none of them are as forgiving as a true slick.
Jrock you prob haven't run a big eneough MT et street radial to have the sidewall give on you, you need a bigger sidewall IMHO. for instance the 325/50-15's ive seen crinkle as much as a slick as one point or another. Look at stephanes car last year on the dyno, et street radials wadding up on the dyno! lol no knocking on hoosiers but u know where i stand with tires ;)

If I run a bias ply i.e. et street on the rear and run radials up front am I gonna hit a wall? lol People keep tellin me not to mix the tires. Btw, et street is 7lbs lighter than the et street radial and same weight as the hoosier radial.

you need a skinnie ahmad, theres no way around it, or a REALLY skinny set of front tires. it will get squirly up top. The drag radials dont have a problem doing this though. i would much rather go with an et street or et drag if i were you, but you need a set of ccw skinnies or weld skinnies, anything. I buy most of my tires locally, because they are all race tires, i have a friend who is a manager at advanced auto who hooks me up but sometimes they dont have the tires in stock so i go elsewhere. lemme know ahmad if i can help you with anything else.

I get mine from speed unlimited, usually have mickeys in stock. I'm not sure about hoosiers though.

Matt
speed unreasonable....i have bought from them not going to lie, only when times were rough and i couldnt get the tires in time for something.

Ben Y

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you need a skinnie ahmad, theres no way around it, or a REALLY skinny set of front tires. it will get squirly up top. The drag radials dont have a problem doing this though. i would much rather go with an et street or et drag if i were you, but you need a set of ccw skinnies or weld skinnies, anything. I buy most of my tires locally, because they are all race tires, i have a friend who is a manager at advanced auto who hooks me up but sometimes they dont have the tires in stock so i go elsewhere. lemme know ahmad if i can help you with anything else.

Ben Y
But but but CCW wants $1300 for skinnies! Ughh Not to mention I gotta spend another $500 or so on et streets when I have et street radials with a hand full of passes on em. Oh well

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
But but but CCW wants $1300 for skinnies! Ughh Not to mention I gotta spend another $500 or so on et streets when I have et street radials with a hand full of passes on em. Oh well
thats racing though buddy, gotta find out what works for you car. the skinnies are a must though man, i wont let u go on a track with radial in the front and slicks in the back. Ahmad i will send you a txt of how much i have spent in the last 3 months...racing is racing buddy :p like nike said.... "JUST DO IT!" lol

Ben Y

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats racing though buddy, gotta find out what works for you car. the skinnies are a must though man, i wont let u go on a track with radial in the front and slicks in the back. Ahmad i will send you a txt of how much i have spent in the last 3 months...racing is racing buddy :p like nike said.... "JUST DO IT!" lol

Ben Y
Damn... BALLER! But your car is about a hundred times faster! I guess I'll sell a few things and buy the skinnies and slicks.

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Damn... BALLER! But your car is about a hundred times faster! I guess I'll sell a few things and buy the skinnies and slicks.
lol yeah but its a borderline a street car, yours is a pure street car, i like your car alot though man, def get the skinnies tho, and get back with me when you get the tires so we can go over tire pressures and etc.

Ben Y

·
Registered
591 Posts
I was in the same situation, I knew a drag radial would break my car so I decided to run ET streets (bias) out back and my 19" ccw up front. I attempted to make one pass and sold them the following weekend because the car swayed like a mofo, even going down the street it was all over the road.

·
Fastest Factory Auto
2,228 Posts
+1, bias ply MT ET streets with a 18" radial up front, car was completely unsafe.

-shameless plug- buy my CCW skinnies ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol yeah but its a borderline a street car, yours is a pure street car, i like your car alot though man, def get the skinnies tho, and get back with me when you get the tires so we can go over tire pressures and etc.

Ben Y
Thanks bro, means alot coming from you! Ok, I dont wanna tap into my house funds so I'm making some calls to get rid of stuff and will order the skinnies and ET Streets. Should I get em in full polished or full flat black? I want the center flat black and lip polished to match the rears but they say they can only do it one color. Maybe I will sell my rears and get new ones fully blacked out too!
I was in the same situation, I knew a drag radial would break my car so I decided to run ET streets (bias) out back and my 19" ccw up front. I attempted to make one pass and sold them the following weekend because the car swayed like a mofo, even going down the street it was all over the road.
Thanks for the info. Glad I didnt try it. The black series guy at the last track ran ET streets in the back with dymags up front on radials and swore he was spinning at the 1000' mark. I told him it was swaying becaus eof mixed tires but he didnt want to believe me. Said I was hating on him cuz his car was making so much power lol Oh well

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
Thanks bro, means alot coming from you! Ok, I dont wanna tap into my house funds so I'm making some calls to get rid of stuff and will order the skinnies and ET Streets. Should I get em in full polished or full flat black? I want the center flat black and lip polished to match the rears but they say they can only do it one color. Maybe I will sell my rears and get new ones fully blacked out too!
anytime man, just let me know. yeah man def sell some stuff, dont want to risk the house for the car. i think they can only powdercoat the center's, if anything u could bring the whole rim setup to Gary @ Extreme Powdercoating. He did my valve covers and i am going to have him do my welds in a few weeks probably too. CCW should be able to powder coat the centers on the skinnies. Chip @ CCW helped me out alot in the past. Ill be calling him in a few weeks to order some new rims for my street tire package with the welds. Gary has a good black color that doesnt scratch either, flat black tends to leave marks easily. He showed me the color samples at his shop. He has ALOT of samples, youll probably get in there and your jaw will drop with the amnt of colors he is going to show you. Great guy though, stand up work and his turn around times arent nothing to brag about but the quality is great!

Ben Y

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+1, bias ply MT ET streets with a 18" radial up front, car was completely unsafe.

-shameless plug- buy my CCW skinnies ;)
If your skinnies fit my car I'd buy them in a heartbeat but they wont. How much does CCW charge for skinnies with tires for a supra anyway? Am I getting stuck with the AMG tax?
anytime man, just let me know. yeah man def sell some stuff, dont want to risk the house for the car. i think they can only powdercoat the center's, if anything u could bring the whole rim setup to Gary @ Extreme Powdercoating. He did my valve covers and i am going to have him do my welds in a few weeks probably too. CCW should be able to powder coat the centers on the skinnies. Chip @ CCW helped me out alot in the past. Ill be calling him in a few weeks to order some new rims for my street tire package with the welds. Gary has a good black color that doesnt scratch either, flat black tends to leave marks easily. He showed me the color samples at his shop. He has ALOT of samples, youll probably get in there and your jaw will drop with the amnt of colors he is going to show you. Great guy though, stand up work and his turn around times arent nothing to brag about but the quality is great!

Ben Y
Ok cool. Will keep you poste don what I do. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 42 Posts