Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago i brought my 88 to a reputable shop about an hour drive from me. I picked it up 2 weeks ago and drove it back. The next day i drove to my fathers house in Michigan and noticed i was burning oil and coolant. I contacted this shop and brought it to them on wednesday. We did a compression test on the engine and the results were 147-160 on all cylinders except for #4 (I think was 4, might have been 3) which was @ 125.

Now to me 125 is pretty fucking low, and i also noticed when he pulled the plug out, fluid was dripping off of it. The fluid wasnt fuel, and im pretty sure it wasnt oil, so perhaps coolant?? The mechanic who worked on my car did say there was a problem with the block not being flush. So im thinking the block needed to be decked and it was not and this caused my Hg to blow perhaps? The only other thing i can think of is a bad ring, which would explain the burning oil, but where the fuck is my coolant going?? i noticed i had white smoke coming from my exhaust which if i remember right is burning coolant. Also there was some coolant that appeared to spray out of my resivour, and the resivour was full to the maximum...

When i had asked the mechanic about the 125 compression he said it was OK... but i talked to another friend of mine who said the minimum it should be is 130. I havnt looked it up yet in the tsrm because i forgot what the website is. What do you guys think, BHG? The shop is a reputable shop and i can hardly believe that they fucked this up if it indeed a BHG...

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
The block NEEDS to be decked if ur putting on a new HG, if you don't deck the block it won't sit properly, and u'll get another blown HG. 147-160 is even a broad scale, and 125 is much too low. You most likely had coolant on ur plug from a BHG. Just to be sure, check for coolant in the exhaust gases. Although this sounds like a for sure bhg. Doesn't matter how reputable the shop is, if they don't know that things need to be decked and machined before fresh installation then all their credibility goes down the drain.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Could be a BHG...get a block tester from your local auto parts store and test the cooling system for combustion gases. Per the TSRM all cylinders should be within 14psi of each other so if they are at least 146 when the other cylinders are 160 then its ok. The 125 is cause for concern. Check your radiator cap for a white milky sludge. You could also have the shop do a leakdown test, if you see air bubbles coming up through the radiator when the cylinder is pressurized you have BHG. This so called reputable shop should have checked the block to make sure it was flat. Was the head machined at all? Keep us updated, and if it is BHG demand your money back and take it to someone who works on these engines.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Im takin my car to this shop later today, and no white sludge. We did some test this guy called "the funnel test" on wednesday, puts this funnel which is hooked up to a radiator cap and hooked it up to the radiator, and started it up to look for bubbles... and as for taking it to someone who works on these engines... erm, they work on a hell of a lot of supras and i figured they would be experts... You probably have heard of this shops name but im not going to splurt it out untill i find out if they will fix my engine properly or not...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I brought it back to the shop only to find out i have to wait two weeks for them to work on it because they are swamped with cars right now. Since the block wasnt decked they agree it might be the HG. But they want to tear it apart before they agree to pay for the whole thing. Only thing is i would still have to pay for the deck job, which they said would probably be about 1500. I hope not, but if its rings or somthing else internal i would pay for a full rebuild minus labor ( i think said minus labor...) Either way the block will be decked, everything will be checked and ill have a mhg installed so i dont have to worry about it ever again (or so i hope) Ill try to keep posted on progress...

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
The block almost never needs to be milled when using a stock-style composite head gasket. The head on the other hand ALWAYS needs to be surfaced at the minimum. If they try to tell you that the head gasket blew because the block was not prepped properly then 1) it is THEIR fault for not checking and 2) ask them what the deck warpage is and then have them show it to you with a mechanics rule. If they refuse to do that just head straight down to the BBB and file the claim and open the lawsuit. You might want to go ahead and start the paperwork now. At the minimum a headgasket job should consist of surfacing the head, checking the block, new head bolts, new head gasket. That is at the absolute MINIMUM.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
VodkaKnight said:
I brought it back to the shop only to find out i have to wait two weeks for them to work on it because they are swamped with cars right now. Since the block wasnt decked they agree it might be the HG. But they want to tear it apart before they agree to pay for the whole thing. Only thing is i would still have to pay for the deck job, which they said would probably be about 1500. I hope not, but if its rings or somthing else internal i would pay for a full rebuild minus labor ( i think said minus labor...) Either way the block will be decked, everything will be checked and ill have a mhg installed so i dont have to worry about it ever again (or so i hope) Ill try to keep posted on progress...
Trust me, they have the ability to work on your car right now. They already have your money, now your just a comeback to them. You need to make a stink.
The block almost never needs to be milled when using a stock-style composite head gasket. The head on the other hand ALWAYS needs to be surfaced at the minimum. If they try to tell you that the head gasket blew because the block was not prepped properly then 1) it is THEIR fault for not checking and 2) ask them what the deck warpage is and then have them show it to you with a mechanics rule. If they refuse to do that just head straight down to the BBB and file the claim and open the lawsuit. You might want to go ahead and start the paperwork now. At the minimum a headgasket job should consist of surfacing the head, checking the block, new head bolts, new head gasket. That is at the absolute MINIMUM.
:iwdumbass

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
wow, I bet they torqued it to stock specs too, uhoh

btw, my head was fine but the block needed about 10 thou cleanup

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
i agree with DeanMarcum. If there saying that the agree that they think the hg blew because the block wasnt resurfaced/decked. Then why the hell didnt they do that. Was there any sort of warrenty on the hg job. Usually you dont have to milled with a stock composite hg because they can handle a little warpage, unlike mhg's. Id demand that they mill the head and block for free, and pay for a new hg and whatever else needs to be done. Its there fault, and you should not be the one paying for someone elses mistakes/carelessness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts