Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of fixing a BHG.
And just wanted to mention that taking the turbo off was a pain in the ass - I even used Bishop's removal guide but still.
Well, the car has been sitting for a few months now, so it's got some rusty bits.

Meet rusty the cam:

Seems a little coolant got to the 6th cylinder:

Chewed up passage:

The 6th piston has some rust, but the walls look ok. I put some fresh oil on the pistons/cylinders to clean it up a bit and let it soak.

Some questions:
Are the cams rusty because they have been sitting doing nothing, or because some coolant got mixed in the oil? I do notice some of the oil on the head looking creamy. The rust should come off? Just need to send the the machine shop? or do I need to replace my cams?

The coolant passages on the head worry me abit. There are 2 or 3 passages that are eaten up, the one in the pic above being the worst. Is fixable or should I need to worry about this? Need new head?

·
Registered
392 Posts
x2 fuck that shif off.

Those pics make my engine look brand new compared to yours (i pulled the head off mine yesterday)

·
TX2K10 Beer Pong Champion
417 Posts
Dude, find another engine and rebuild it. That will give you nothing but trouble. Maybe find a jdm GTE and REBUILD it. The block may be salvageable but see what a machine shop says. The head is absolute trash. Find another one.

Oh, and btw, properly mixed coolant won't cause rust like that. Straight water will.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
jebus man, I let my car sit for 2 years and then pulled everything and it didn't look even close to that bad

you must of had a lot of water in that thing

<l><l>

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So from the responses..my head is dead - shouldn't even take it to the machine shop?
I've had the car for about 3 yrs and most of it's time it has been either at the mechanics or parked. I'm guessing the previous owner/s didn't use coolant or flushed the cooling system - and now I get the end results.

I didn't have much water in the cylinder - probably dried up over the months or it seeped? down past the rings and down to the oil pan. I still need to check the bottom end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts