Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Or Am I?
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i have a BHG. I don't have smoke from the exhaust. Don't have oily coolant or milky oil. The only symptom I have is that sometimes my car starts to overheat. When it does this, the coolant starts to "boil" over. I think that what's actually happening is the gases are going through the HG and into the cooling system. Any suggestions on confirming BHG? Also, if it is a BHG, can anyone help out here in Indy. I will have no idea what I'm doing to be honest. I don't want to pay an absurd amount to get it done, but I will pay someone to help out with the HG job. Oh btw, it's a 1987 Supra 7M-GTE.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I've got summer coming up.. so I *may* be able to help you out depending upon my schedule and how many summer classes I take.

Do you have tools?? if not.. nows the time to start buying them. Look to sears for a set.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00934117000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

This would be a nice starter set. You will need other tools, but the above will cover most of what you'll encounter.

Time to start printing off the TSRPM located on www.supras.com. You'll need that.

I would suggest a head kit for most of the gaskets. Also new stock headbolts would be a good idea. A stock headgasket car torqued to proper nubmers would last a very long time. If you're wanting a metal gasket, its going to take much more prep work and I would suggest pulling the motor at that point. if you pull the motor.. might as well do a rebuild iwth new rings and bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts