Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, me and a buddy just got done with our HG job on his nonturbo A/T 87, and we started it up. It gargled for a little bit, but it picked up, it went up to 2000 rpms idle in park, so we messed with the idle speed and the distributor timing, we got it down to 1500 in park and 1180 in drive. The main problem is that the header by the 4th valve is GLOWING IN THE DARK. The whole exhaust side of the car is hot as hell, and there is something reddish/brownish coming out of the exhaust before the cat. It's running on 50/50 Toyota Red/Distilled Water. And a Retard's 50/50 mixture of 10w/30 and 10w/40 High mileage Oil. We put about 5.5 Quarts of oil into it after the HG job. I would use the HG FAQ but all the links are down and lead to nothing. Also there is a connector that is on the intake side of the engine that we can't find a home for, its a four prong connector and it is bundled up with three other connectors that lead down to the tranny. This car does not have ABS or TEMS, could it be the connector for the nonexistant ABS? It has no high-end power, says my friend who WOULDN'T LET ME DRIVE IT-- anyways any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We used the same ones, this job was done on a BUDGET we had to take some small things from his Down MK4. The Plugs were brown and when we originally took the Head off the wells were flooded with oil, do you think it could be the plug on #4?

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It had high-end power before... He's just talking about putting it in 2 and driving it with high RPM. I understand I have a leak that is obvious... I'm trying to get some help as to where... I think it might be fuel... Where could it be coming from, in other words, where should I check?

Oh, and we used a TSRM for his exact model for this job

·
Registered
696 Posts
sounds like your exhaust is opening too early. check if your exhaust timeing gear is lined up with the rest of the timeing system.

·
Boost-a-holic
555 Posts
thats what i was gonna say, make sure your cam timing is good. did you crank the engine around one full cycle with a wrench before you started it? most times you will find the cam timing to be off a couple teeth due to slack in the timing belt during install.

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, we also discovered with a beautiful timing light that it was at 54 DEGREES PAST TOP DEAD CENTER :rofl: Oh man did I kick his ass after seeing that. He was trying to get a steady even idle with a bad TPS. I will definetly check the exhaust timing gear, and yes we did crank it around one full cycle before starting.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Also could be a blocked CAT, but I doubt it.

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it eventually stopped leaking out of there once we got the timing back to 10 past top dead center, but the headers are still red hot, so I'm gonna check that when he brings his supra home from work

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My lingo is wrong but yeah we did that. Lol Thanks for setting me straight

1 - 12 of 12 Posts