Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has been overheating after about an hour of drivin for a while. Thought it might be the t-stat so I replaced that and added some more coolant. Car ran fine for the 100 mile ride to Chico. Thought i'd go out and have a little fun on a straight road so I took it to redline in 4th and noticed my temp guage shoot up so I got off it immediatly and turned engine off while I coasted down to stop. When I came to stop I immediatly noticed a change in my exhaust, sounded like it was missing. So I did the usual check for plug wires and secure connections, but nothin. Got back to friends place and pulled everything off in hopes it might be a plug, but ran a compression test and i'm not too happy with the results. 165psi for 1-4, but 125psi between 5 and 6. Im stuck 100 miles from home now with a BHG and im not sure if its drivable home. It can still drive, I can just hear it not running right on the 5th and 6th. I dont have the cash, nor AAA to have it towed back to my house. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
If you have to, drive home in the slow lane with the heat blasting. Of course, any additional driving on a BHG can cause more damage.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Same thing happened to me last summer, pulled into Kelowna the thing was missing big time! Like it was running on 4 cylinders, temp didn't go up but cylinder pressure was low between 5 and 6, added some oil to those two cylinders checked compression again and it went up to about 120 from 60 ouch! Ended up leaving it in Kelowna bought a JDM motor had it shipped up there and replaced by Toyota. When they pulled the head there was a big score on the wall of #6 cylinder and gasket was blown between 5 and 6. Cost me a few bucks for sure!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
DeanMarcum said:
If the headgasket is blown between cylinders only then you can drive it home. If there is coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant then you have broken into a water jacket passage and it should NOT be driven at all.
an honest question here, how often do you think a stock composite hg blows between cylinders? the only time i've ever seen anything blow between cylinders is when my cometic failed me due to too much warpage. i agree though, either way, if the coolant got into the oil, don't drive it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I will check the water and oil thing in a bit here. I have a cometic HG btw with ARP head bolts torqued down to 85ft/lbs. Think im gona goto HKS with ARP studs next and call it a day.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Did you add a capful of oil to cylinders 5 & 6 and try the test again on the off-the-wall chance it could be bad piston rings? Does your car smoke a lot from the exhaust? i mean obviously it sounds like a BHG, but still might as well eliminate all other possibilities, could possibly be a stuck or broken valve as well, but it sounds like a BHG.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts