Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a popular topic lately but here is my story.
Motor is a 90 JDM. When swapped I did not use a MHG (did not know about them at time) but did torque it down to 80lbs. Problems started after the fusible link for my flexalite fans burned up. Rad. boiled over and temp went up to 240. Fixed the link. Since then it has run hot( 200+) if I drive it hard. For the last year and a half it did not rise over 200 no matter the driving condidtions. Usually if I keep the speed down and don't boost to much I can keep it between 190(normal) and 200. Don't have any mixing of rad. fluid and oil. Just changed the oil and have made sure the rad. fluid has been burped. I've done a block test and it came back negative for exhaust gas in the rad. fluid. Changed the rad. cap. This increased the pressure in the hoses and it did develope a small leak in upper rad. hose which was remedied by tighting the clamp. Looked for leaky hoses and found none. I feel that fluid is leaking somewhere because if I boost up(9-10lbs) and run 80mph plus the temp will rise(210+) and I will sometimes have to add coolant. Overflow tank is ususally about half full then. It has overheated on me on the way home once. Had to pull over let her cool down and add more coolant but stayed below 200 with easy driving afterward.
Now one thing you should know is that I am running a stock rad. w/a Flexalite 220 Pusher fan. The setup is a follows IC>fan>rad. A friend of mine has suggested that I move the rad. forward and put the fan behind it. I can see that this may be better but you gotta remeber that I've run it this way for 18 mo. with no problems. I've driven it from Philadelphia to S.Texas and back twice with no problems during that time.
So should I bite the bullet and do the HG or am I missing something? If I do the HG I'm thinking of going with one from Titian. Any comments of that?
Thanks for your suggestions

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running Mobil 1 and its still clear. Just changed it about two weeks ago. Right before the overheating incident.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No milky or any residue under the oil cap. Also no white smike or suspicious smells that I have noticed. :dunno:

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
temp situation is one that is common when switchin off the clutch fan and going w/ electrics. our cars really dont seem to like them much at all. throw the stocker back on and see what happens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts