Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think of the kenwood excelon amps??
are they any good or would rf be better......

what would you recommend to push 3 8" eclipse subs
eclipse mids and highs....

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
Are you talking about the new Excelon amps or the model pictured below ? I really like the amps, ESPECIALLY for subwoofers. I don't know what the power rating/resistance is on the 8" eclipse so I woudln't know what model to reccomend. They come in 600W 800W and 1200W models and since they're discontinued now can be found VERY cheap!

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
I don't know what you're looking for by performance, but they are better than the RF. I've got 2 201T's and have no complaints but with my crappy coaxles.

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
Unless it's the 6,000 watt JBL crown MONSTER amp. I'm pretty sure that would blow your 8's right through the rear hatch though.....:D

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
suprafly79 said:
hey brian I was looking into this setup
http://briansbackyard.com/tmp/suprasubs/trunk1.jpg

how do you think it would sound with the eclipse subs......
would it produce enough bass being mounted the way it is...
I think it would sound great (Depends on the air space and quality of install too!), but only if you kept the stock carpet off. When I had my 2 10s setup like that, the carpet really muffled the bass out. Once I cut holes out and installed protective grilles, the output as far as SQ goes was great!

Brian

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
ThumperAC said:
From my experiecne, RF amps are much better than Kenwood.
The only thing RF is better at than Kenwood is overheating. Seriously thought, this is a B.S. argument, neither the top of the line kenwood or rockford fosgate are a "quality" product. Other than the company demo vehicles no top competitors use them. They're simply a couple steps above sony. Unless you got them at best buy, then....well.....sorry. Xtant, Alpine, Diamond Audio, ample and countless others are MUCH better.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I heard that changing out the rear speakers destroy the imaging
its better to leave the rear speakers out.....what does this mean

???destroy the imaging???? wtf is that I'm stupid so help me
I always thought more speakers = more sound
especially interior speakers should = more mid and highs
who wants just pounding bass......that just gives headaches
can anyone make sense of this!!!!!!!

hey brian not to bite off your setup....but how much did your eclipse headunit cost......btw nice car very clean...I checked out your site and also sound domain

·
Cope, the dip of champs!
267 Posts
well the common reference is that if you are at a concert the music is coming at you from the front not the rear. most sq people will always say that rears destroy this especially in a smaller car.

·
1,057 Posts
SHOWOFF said:

The only thing RF is better at than Kenwood is overheating. Seriously thought, this is a B.S. argument, neither the top of the line kenwood or rockford fosgate are a "quality" product. Other than the company demo vehicles no top competitors use them. They're simply a couple steps above sony. Unless you got them at best buy, then....well.....sorry. Xtant, Alpine, Diamond Audio, ample and countless others are MUCH better.
That's fine, everyone has their own opinion. I my experience they have been great! And I have never had overheating problems. Yes I agree that there are other amps that are better but with ANY brand there will always be something better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts