Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably is a question Andi or maybe someone else can answer who is privy to the Big Ass bar design. This will hopefully not start a flaming war like the trd v. big ass sway thread in the general topics forum. I am really interested in the Big Ass front and rear set up. I have read some critcisms by some of the TRD set up being a little too "oversteerish" for road course events but OK for Solo 2. Anybody got the link or maybe the MKIV discussion of the Big Ass sway design intent?
I understand for "race car" purposes from such amatuers as Carroll Smith "Tune to Win" (just kidding) that he likes to stiffen the rear of a car with the springs, not a big rear sway because a big rear sway will transfer more load from the inside wheel to the outside tire in the corner resulting in a more unfavorable lateral weight transer. However, that may be true for a 100% race car. I don't want spring rates that crack the fillings in my teeth going down the road. My tt supra is more daily driver but sees Solo or track days a couple of times a month.
I want a car with initial SLIGHT understeer in the corner entry which can be balanced out with the throttle. Yet I am very comfortable with oversteer. Since a driver feels and reacts to the stiffer end of the carI want the front stiffer but not by much to achieve good control of the turn in to the apex (to set up early throttle app). I would like to know what the design intent of the Big Ass is (assuming great handling of course). I would imagine you can control the car better by reducing roll and not having a spring rate that will pound your kidneys. If others have experience with other sway bar sets, I would love to hear about it. You would think these days someone could come up with a "simple" designed adjustable sway. Please no recommendations "based on my driving style".LOL. Thanks,
Barry H94ttsupra 6sp.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
I would decide what the mission of the car is and go from there.

Comfy daily driver with occasional autocrosses and road racing: Eibachs and KYBs. Then you must choose for yourself which swaybars you want.. TRDs for 27% stiffer than stock against roll, or Bigass swaybars for ~50% stiffer against roll, plus slightly less understeer. (TRD's have the same balance as stock; Bigass swaybars are *slightly* (5-10% on paper, but the fronts are still in early production) balanced towards less understeer.)

Personally if it were my choice for a comfy street car that only sees the street, I'd go with Eibachs, KYBs, and TRD swaybars.

If it were for a comfy street car that sees the street and the autox and the road course occasionally, I'd go with Eibachs, KYBs, and Bigass swaybars.

Finally, if you want a car that really handles well and you want it to quit feeling like a 3500lb boat.. then get Teins. And once you've gotten Teins, IMHO it's only natural tha you go with the Bigass swaybars as the Teins have already made it ride very stiff anyway.

As for oversteer vs. understeer... the TRD swaybars front and back will have the same balance as stock (they're 27% stiffer front and back). The Bigass bars should come out to be about 45-50% stiffer in front and 55-65% stiffer in back. Meaning less understeer than stock, but still livable w/o insane oversteer.

If you want oversteer (good for very tight autocrosses), I've found a good combo to be running a 1-step-stiffer swaybar in back than in front. That is, either a stock front and a TRD rear or a TRD front and a Bigass rear will give you oversteer. Corner entry oversteer. Like my sig pic although not quite that bad. :)

Regards,
Andi

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D
Thanks Andi. I agree you need to decide just where on the street car/track car continium one wants to be and then build towards it. Of course sometimes the goal changes. Mine probably will (when I can afford two Supras!). As much of a late apexer as I tend to be and see some oversteer, I think the stock set up is too understeer oriented in balance for I am sure obvious Joe Blow driver safety reasons. If the TRD is the same balance but simply stiffer then Big Ass is probably for me. Hey I got one anyhow!! Sounds like the intended design of the Big Ass fits into my desired suspension change. It is not that I want a Buick like comfy ride, I just want it livable. The shocks and springs are next. I see you suggested Eibachs and KYBs. I saw the spring rate chart you put up somewhere and based on my desired compromise either the progressive Eibachs or the linear H&Rs are going to be my pick. Curious about the H&Rs due to spring rate although linear. So in your opinion (since you are the only one who has replied!) why the KYBs over the Konis? Just curious. Saw you over at MKIV responding to spark plug question. I just bought Denso Iridiums and am going to give them a try. Hell they sound good on paper.
Thanks,
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
IMO you should ride in a car with Teins. I don't think they are that bad at all, even at their stiffest setting.

I was under the impression that any increase in roll stiffness in one end of the car (caused by springs or sways) would increase lateral wieght transfer at that end, and reduce it at the other end, is this not correct?

I still think the best solution would be an infinitely ajustable rear bar.... Oh well......

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
I don't know which are better between Koni's and KYB's. I had KYB's on my car with Eibachs because they're adjustable on the car, and Koni's arent.

I've never tried H&R's either so I can't comment on them; I've never even seen a Supra with them. Everybody I know with a Supra has either Eibachs (95% of them) or Teins (the other 5%).

As for spark plugs.. NGK 3330's are $1.49 at my local O'Reilly's and I actually haven't burned up a set yet, I just change them preventatively with every oil change or two... and they work great. Only caveat is that they idle like shit but I think that's more or less because of the tiny gap, which is a must when running >15psi IMHO.

Andi

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after checking it out here and other places, I have ordered Big Ass Sway Bars front and rear. Can't wait for the fronts to get made (although it will take awhile).
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.:D

P

·
0 Posts
Could someone please email as much info about these Big Ass sway bars as possible. I am running HKS coil overs. I have never heard of these sway bars and the info would be much appreciated. Ordering and Technical info would be great.
Car will be raced on long course among other things.
Thanks to all.

Pete

·
411 HP GSXR / 203 HP Vrod
1,947 Posts
Question Andi... I don't Autocross at all but enjoy aggressive street driving. If I buy the 27% TRD Bars will I notice the difference or do I have to get the BIG Sway bars to see a difference? In other words, I don't want to waste my time and $$ on something that you'll have to be a Rocket Scientist to decipher whether it's better than the original equipment or not. Reply.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
HKS T04R said:
Question Andi... I don't Autocross at all but enjoy aggressive street driving. If I buy the 27% TRD Bars will I notice the difference or do I have to get the BIG Sway bars to see a difference? In other words, I don't want to waste my time and $$ on something that you'll have to be a Rocket Scientist to decipher whether it's better than the original equipment or not. Reply.
You will notice the difference in body roll reduction with either. More so of course with the bigass (stiffer) bars.

Dusty carries both. there is a 1-2 month wait time (and extremely limited production) of the bigass bars.

andi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts