Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SP88 ($1400) If you want big HP numbers, this is your turbo. I personally made 1157RWHP with this turbo through the SP400 automatic transmission!! You will need a lot of NOS to spool this baby up. Paul from MSP runs a similar 88mm turbo on his 8.36 record setting supra!!........

Ok, now that you have read what I just read at the sound performance web site.. I have a few questions I'd like to ask. After I explain my goals...

I want to build a Dyno, and Track king, and a every day streetable supra.. all in one.

Before anyone with no knowledge steps in, Read... I just finished a book called "Supercharging, turbocharging, and nitrous oxide systems" it's a powerpro series book by earl davis and diane perkins-davis. It was a great book and it got me thinking.. they explain a lot about how the "ideal turbos" spool up and start to create boost at around 3500 rpms.. now obviously no 88mm turbo isn't going to pull off any sort of miracle spool with out nitrous as they said above in the ad for the turbo.

I have a few questions reguarding that, as well as opinions like "is that for me"

1.) Being such a huge turbo, I'd have to guess that Im looking at around 6K+ spooled and ready to boost, leaving me with the most reasonible option to run an automatic transmission which I had planned to run anyway due to my preferences in comfort. Can this type of turbo on a street supra be usedevery day, as a daily driver and still give me power?

(driving the car around off boost just relying on the motors own power is ok to do?)

and by every day, I do mean.. is it ok to try and drive in every day traffic with such a turbo, or am I doing to be disspointed in the lack of power the 2JZ-GTE creates when not under boost?

obviously the motor will be fully built from a new forged crank to all forged internals and attention to every single part I could potentially replace to make the motor so called "bulletproof"

2.) I said Im looking to build a Dynomometer and 1.4 Mile monster, but also have an every day streetable car, because by no means do I want to build a Car just to sit in my garage, the garage is for installs.. not Vacations for the car.

*except rain and other natural elements the car may be hiding from*..

Would it be correct to Assume that this turbo, with a properly built motor, and nitrous system will get me all three of what i want? Impressive HP numbers, low 9 second 1/4 mile times *given the driver/me is skilled enough to drive the car and no problems occur* and also ba safe to drive my girl friend out on a date with with out having to drive slow in fear of boost creeping up on me and breaking our necks? .. and yes that was a very serious question.

3.) With such a big turbo would I be looking at having to cut some part, or modify a stock Supra hood? or will I be seeing paint damage on the exterior of the car from excessive heat when the turbo is actually being pushed at the track?

I Hope my post was clear, and made sence, any information and or help would be appreciated, and please don't reply and say "search" because I've read this web site up and down, MKIV.com and several books on turbo systems, but no-where does it say if a car with such a large turbo is street safe or if its worth building.. I dont have a HP goal besides wanting to break 1,000. I realize I will need a very large turbo to do so, Here I am to ask my questions before I go making large investments I don't fully undertdsand yet.

~ Brett

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, one last thing.. the only other turbo i was looking at was the

SP82HO ($TBD) A new Dual Ball bearing turbo capable of 1200+ HP and spool similar to a 74!!. Expected availability near the end of the year!! It wont be cheap!!

.. why would dual Ball bearing have such a major impact?

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
You surely can daily drive this car around, but with the amount of lag this turbo has...... ~6300 things START to happen.... it will not be a fun street car. The 2J does not make much power without boost. Seriously cavaliers will crush you out of the hole!! You can run low 9s with much smaller turbo like a 74 and have MUCH MUCH less lag!!

Larry
SP

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You also completely left out the track car aspects. To handle that type of power, you'll be running an auto that'll probably overheat too if you use it in traffic and be limited on how hard you can run it over and over on the road course (you said Track car above). Trying to achieve all three can get expensive and make you a jack of all trades and a master of none.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is true, So it's not wise to be driving around on an aftermarket tranny only using the 2jz's stock power.. ?? i didnt think that would hurt anything, but on the track and strip i understand it will over heat being used constantly, how ever i did word it wrong, i do want to be able to daily drive it, and drag stip, as well as dyno contests and what not, so buying a SP transmission will definitly be on my list of things I need, and hopefully they make a good tranny cooler kit?

·
127 Posts
Is this SP82 going to be a streetable turbo Larry? When you say stuff like 1200+ HP and spool similar to a 74!!. What kind of spool are we looking at?

I was going to go with the SP73 but now I am not to sure what I want to do with your new ball bearing options..

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Details on your daily driving habits might give us a better idea of the built auto will stand up to what you want to do. It also depends on which auto you go with. My understanding is that a built stocker will be much friendlier and also depending on how high of a stall.

Tear Drop said:
this is true, So it's not wise to be driving around on an aftermarket tranny only using the 2jz's stock power.. ?? i didnt think that would hurt anything, but on the track and strip i understand it will over heat being used constantly, how ever i did word it wrong, i do want to be able to daily drive it, and drag stip, as well as dyno contests and what not, so buying a SP transmission will definitly be on my list of things I need, and hopefully they make a good tranny cooler kit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Driving to work, and back .. How ever I wont use it as my daily car, I'll buy an every day car to beat up on.. and the Supra will be for Weekends, and Track days at moroso I think it's called? WPB florida. I drive.. Heavy footed.. but It wont be out every day Because I don't want it to see rain if I can help it. In Fl yes this will be hard, but I'll do my best! ~ Brett, Lol ~ Brett

·
Registered
529 Posts
You need to contact Dana Westover of Virtual Works.

[email protected] on DOT legal street radials. Full interior, A/C, stereo, stock body. No NO2. Just race gas and go. Built TH400. Can't get any faster than this without sacrificing daily driveability. Sick.:D

edit: just saw you live in FL. Good luck. You might want to purchase Racelogic T/C. and a sat TV for hourly weather updates;) His setup can't be beat in a straight line- you can forget about corners. you have one or the other. You can't have a roadrace suspention and a drag race suspention setup at the same time. the alignment, toe, camber, spring rate, dampening is all different for each racing. You cannot change that while you are driving. That is like being a guy/girl at the same time. you can be either one but you can't be both!! lol j/k
:eek:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Dana doesn't use No2 though. I still think it is the fastest no No2 true street car. He let off on the [email protected] he's ran a [email protected] before, I think he can match your [email protected] easily with a good run. He is finally dialing in the car and getting used to the power. But your car is no joke either!!!! Props to both of you!!! We got the best of the best right here!

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
SUPRAT said:
Dana doesn't use No2 though. I still think it is the fastest no No2 true street car. He let off on the [email protected] he's ran a [email protected] before, I think he can match your [email protected] easily with a good run. He is finally dialing in the car and getting used to the power. But your car is no joke either!!!! Props to both of you!!! We got the best of the best right here!

Dana's car is incredible. It almost makes me want to try DRs!! I know they are good for a tenth or two and a few MPH on the perfect run but slicks are more forgiving. I need to get my car's weight down to what Dana's is and with a fresh motor I am sure we can click off a few 8.7s next year!!

Lar
SP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts