Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Brembo 14.0'' Big Brake Kit 4 or 6-piston caliper ? are there any better pics of the calipers / pads ?

Do these kits come with SS Lines for the fronts only ?

I can't find brake pads for the 14" BBK, any links ? or are they special order ?

I'm thinking of upgrading my brakes as soon as the Brembo OEM replacements fail.

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
4-piston. Yet due to swept size of the rotor, piston pressure, etc. - they outperform the 6-piston kits we carry. The number of pistons a caliper has is not the only consideration...

They come with SS lines only for the front.

I can tell you what you want to know about the replacement pads, there are no links I have ever seen anywhere on the internet to send you to.

I don't have any better pics of the caliper / pads right now. I can take some if you require them but I need to know what you are wanting to see...

Regards,

Dusty

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if the Brembo BBK uses 4-piston, that means I'll be fine with Hawk pads as a replacement right ?

I just wanted to make sure that I don't have to go with 19" wheels, because am expecting 18's in the next few weeks.

Anyone having that steering wheel vibration while applying the brakes at 150mph+ ?

Which one would be the 4-piston caliper ? Silver ?

Let me finish my wheels and tires and I'll be back for the BBK.

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
Enzox said:
So if the Brembo BBK uses 4-piston, that means I'll be fine with Hawk pads as a replacement right ?

I just wanted to make sure that I don't have to go with 19" wheels, because am expecting 18's in the next few weeks.

Anyone having that steering wheel vibration while applying the brakes at 150mph+ ?

Which one would be the 4-piston caliper ? Silver ?

Let me finish my wheels and tires and I'll be back for the BBK.

No, you use the special Brembo pads as replacement. This is 4 HUGE pistons. You can not use anything other than pads made to fit this huge caliper. Hawk certainly does not fit.

You can fit this under most 18" wheels. If you want to be 100% sure, email me for a copy of a guide you can use to measure your wheels to be sure the Brembos will fit.

I can not tell you for sure which one is the 4-piston in that picture, sorry.

Regards,

Dusty

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
MDeniz DSMluva said:
Dusty,

so you are saying 4-pot calipers are better than 6-pot calipers?

So AP & Rotora 6-pot BBK systems are inferior to Brembo & StopTech 4-pot BBK systems?

:scratch:

Not all 4-piston brake kits are better than all 6-piston brake kits. However, YES, it is absolutely true that a 4-piston brake kit can be better than a 6-piston.

Just like a Greddy 4-row is not always the most efficient even though its bigger than any other FMIC. Or the PWR radiator does not cool better than the Fluidyne, even though its 16mm thicker.

The number of pistons is often nothing more than a marketing tool. Brembo is the best brake company in the world according to virtually anyone you ask. If 6-piston was necessary they would have a 6-piston. I have had the Brembo BBK's front & rear for over 3 years. They are absolutely unbelievable, especially during road-racing events.

Regards,

Dusty

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
MDeniz DSMluva said:
Dusty,

so you are saying 4-pot calipers are better than 6-pot calipers?

So AP & Rotora 6-pot BBK systems are inferior to Brembo & StopTech 4-pot BBK systems?

:scratch:
Yes, Brembo and StopTech 4-piston BBK systems are superior to the Rotora 6-pot BBK. IMO, the Rotora BBK is inferior to the OEM MKIV TT brake system, having driven both a MKIV TT and an SC3 2JZ-GTE 6MT conversion. The owner of the SC3 had originally installed the OEM MKIV TT brake system before installing the Rotoras. He eventually removed the Rotoras and re-installed the OEM system.

As Dusty indicated, the number of pistons is not necessarily indicative of the efficacy of the BBK upgrade and is more of a marketing tool than anything. IMO, total swept area, total pad surface area and the total piston area/brake master cylinder relationship is more important the number of pistons.

If a guy wants to upgrade the OEM brake system of the MKIV TT, one of the best OEM braking systems ever, he better make sure that the new system is, in fact, an upgrade of the OEM.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
P.S., Enzox, you need to specify whether you want the F40 Brembo caliper or the F50. The F50 accommodates Brembos 14-inch rotors. The F40 handles the 13+-inch rotors. The pads for both calipers are the same, IIRC, but the F50 applies greater brake torque due to its position and the larger (and thicker) rotors it can accommodate. 18-inch wheels can accommodate both the F40 and the F50 calipers. Your wheel manufacturer better know what they are doing, though, to ensure proper fitment.

Ken.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Brembo does indeed make a monoblock 6 piston caliper. Its the enduro-6 caliper. This caliper is designed for either a 355mm (14") or a 380mm(15") dics. These are not a standard order IMO are over kill. I believe just one caliper is around the price of the complete GT kit.

If you're interested 6 pistons Grex (greddy) alcon makes a 6 piston 355mm kit. These are also 2 piece calipers just like the brembo GT kit. Monoblock calipers are too expensive and there really hasn't been any track data to prove switching to a monoblock has made a difference. I believe Dusty can get that kit for you as well and it also is available with a matching rear kit. Details can be found here.

http://www.trust-power.com/03grex/brakesystem.html

-Joe

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
Joe, as always, is correct. There is a really nice (and very expen$ive) Brembo monoblock 6-piston caliper. However we do not even have it on our website because it is so costly no one would buy it and its not proven.

Trust (Greddy) does also offer the 6-piston front & 4-piston rear. I have sold a very few sets of it, but I do not have any feedback on them.

Thanks Ken for your feedback as well. As always its useful and insightful.

Regards,

Dusty

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Thanks for the complement, Dusty.

I believe we all are comming to the conclusion that having more pistons isn't always the best. Overall build quality is much more significant. There is also that remote possibility that using a Brembo 6-pot enduro caliper can result in a poor pedal feel since the pistons are so large that the master cylinder has to deliver a lot more fluid. In that case a new pedal assembly with dual tandem master cylinders would become necessary. That creates a whole new dimension towards re-engineering the entire brake system.

Or you could end up on the wrong end of the spectrum by using a caliper that can't deliver. IMO, Wilwood are by far the worst. Out of all big brake kits a few that really shine are the Brembos, Grex Alcon, AP racing, Project
Mu, Stoptech, and the Advics (Sumitumo) which is not available for the public yet.

I'm sold on either the Brembo F50 kit or the 355 6pot Grex Alcon kit.

-Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
^^^Couldn't agree more, Joe. I have Brembo F50s on all four, but if I were looking to make another choice in brake upgrades, the Grex/Alcon system would be my choice. I just wish the calipers looked like the first-gen versions rather than what is currently available. As to AP, I believe you already know AP is now owned by Brembo, so good DNA there from both parents.

Never heard of Advics until you mentioned them. Any additional info you can add?

Ken.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Ken, Advics is a division of Sumitomo who originally made the calipers for the JZA80 turbo. The stuff we recieved on our cars is old technology. In fact most guys don't know this but the two different half of our caliper is two different metals. The outer half is iron based alloy but the inner half is aluminum based alloy.

The Advics caliper is a forged monoblock alloy of aluminum and magnesium composition. The caliper's cylinder bores were drilled from the inside to the outside. They were then plugged once the pistons were installed. This design has been around the motocycles for a long time. The calipers are even lighter than the brembo caliipers. Toyota and Advics have worked together to design this caliper. It is now standard on the 06 and newer IS350/GS430 and soon to be 07 LS460 and GS460 and GS450h. The entire suspension has been given a diet from the knuckle to the lower arms. The further reduction in unsprung weight has allowed for a softer spring rate and significant improved ride quality and handling along with reduced road shock. Body roll has been reduced with larger roll bars so these cars handle exceptionally well and do so effortlessly. One could even say that altering their suspension could disturb their balance.

Their site doesn't list much info but here it is.

http://www.advics.co.jp/eng/index.html

-Joe

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great info. Been thinking of upgrade brakde, now know more pistons are always the best way to go.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
97supertt said:
Great info. Been thinking of upgrade brakde, now know more pistons are always the best way to go.

Thanks

Apparently you need to re-read b\c every brake-savvy person in this thread has stated that more pistons does NOT necessarily = better braking.

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
Its called MARKETING.

With a Brembo front & rear BBK (4 pistons) the limitation is your TIRES. Ken knows this as do I and anyone that has ever bought the finest brakes in the world. Perfect balance, top quality, more R&D than anyone, used by virtually every race team and upper end car manufacturer in the world...for a reason.

Regards,

Dusty

1 - 20 of 30 Posts