Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Big Brake Kit for a 1991 Supra. I have seen pictures and videos of a car with cross drilled and slotted rotors. I have also heard of some people doing something with mustang brakes. I am leaning more towards some of the more popular brands such as Brembo, Baer, Endless, ect. But I'm open for anything. So if you know of any big brake kits for a 1991 5spd N/A Toyota Supra please let me know.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already searched all I found was someone who was trying to sell a big brake kit that they were making.

·
Registered
867 Posts
yeah i was thinking about the cobra brakes as well. I know people say why not just do other brands like wilwood's or what not but i look at it further down the road. When you need new rotors 13" cobra rotors from centric go for around $50. The brake pads are also reasonably priced too.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i have the cobra brakes, and am not happy with them,the centric hubs are a pain in the ass since its a make it fit procedure for install, and the pads only contact about half of the rotor, causes it to look like shit after a few rains cuz the rotors rust, soon as i scrounge up some more cash im redoing the brakes all over again

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have the cobra brakes, and am not happy with them,the centric hubs are a pain in the ass since its a make it fit procedure for install, and the pads only contact about half of the rotor, causes it to look like shit after a few rains cuz the rotors rust, soon as i scrounge up some more cash im redoing the brakes all over again
Can you post some pics of how the caliper sits on the rotor? I'm curious as to why the pads don't cover the whole rotor?

·
Registered
656 Posts
not my car, but you can see how much of an unswept area there is on the rotor, i know ppl will say it all about the leverage since your going to a 13" rotor, but it still looks like shit

this is a common neusance with ppl on hte mustang forums too

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
Endless is good but for a price. The wilwood kits from Arizona performance are a good choice, again at a price. The kit that Seth is making will be nice and a bit easier on the pocket for roughly the same performance (street use). Anyways, just a matter of what you want to spend.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright thanks guys. If you have any pictures of your cars with a big brake kit on them feel free to post some pictures. Try to show the adapter kit, or any brackets you may have had to make.

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
I'd think if you were serious you'd go to any main distributor and purchase them by now...

You could call:
MVP (forum sponsor)
Titan
Sound Performance
Horsepowerfreaks
etc and get exactly what you're looking for.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
not my car, but you can see how much of an unswept area there is on the rotor, i know ppl will say it all about the leverage since your going to a 13" rotor, but it still looks like shit

Might there be another caliper to use that is direct bolt on for those Mustang guys?

·
MMA Addict
1,221 Posts

I feel your pain brother, as I myself am very picky when it come to my car. I'm glad now that I didn't go with the Doward Mustang kit. Thanks for showing me that picture.

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
About 10 threads down on the main page:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?640284-Big-Brake-Kit-interest

Front and rear kits should be available end of the month!

Seth
Seth, I think this is a DIY guy, but can't design anything himself.
Maybe just send him a print on your kit, so he can make them in his driveway with his Black&Decker rechargeable hand drill.
Seems like he is opposed to buying anything........
This kind of says it all:
I've already searched all I found was someone who was trying to sell a big brake kit that they were making.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dear sixpack, in case you did not read the first post, I said that I was leaning more towards BUYING a set of Brembo, Endless, or Baer, one of the more popular brands. I am not opposed to buying anything, but I do not want to buy a kit from some one who made it "in his driveway with his Black&Decker rechargeable hand drill." No offense to Seth, but I do not want to buy something that was made by an amature that could possibly not fit, break, or just not be worth the money, no offense to Seth again, but I'm looking for something made by a company who has been proven successful/ been around for a long enough period of time to have made a name for them selves. And yes I have looked at Seth's kit, and yes I have considered it, but right now I am just "doing my homework" to see what kits are out there.

·
7M Fanatic
3,273 Posts
Ha, well Mr. Ingram is far from an amature......
He has what I think are the very best after market FFIMs out there.
And I am WAITING (HINT to Seth) for him to get the CNC ported 7M head program done.

Sorry, thought you recognized his name.
Maybe you should do a little research on some of these guys that have been around since God made the Supra.

Baer is cheap chinese crap, you can not even buy replacement rotors from them for their own kits.
Arizona Does a mean Wilwood kit (or used to, ask him and see).
Night Pager in Japan used to make brackets to run some OEM 4-piston caliper on larger rotors, but they are next to impossible to find any longer.
And Endless are excellent, but will cost more than most MkIIIs are worth.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.