Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but that was useless.

My car is used primarily as a street car and it hardly ever see's the track so would it make sense for me to put on a Big Brake kit? Aside from the bling factor would it be benificial for a street car? My car will shortly be singled running in the 600rwhp range if that makes a differance.

Also what kits are you guys running and how do you like them?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not until you need to stop 1 foot shorter than the stock brakes will enable you. :)

If you're increasing your hp, then you should increase everything else accordingly. I would always recommend improving brakes and suspension before engine mods.

I have the AP Racing 6 pot calipers, they're nothing short of excellent, about a year ago, in the UK we had a big supra meet at an airfield, with a lot of drag racing, and I could easily outbrake every other car. Another benefit of them, over some other front brake kits, is that they're designed to be used with the US/UK stock rears, so as long as you don't have the smaller J-spec rears, you won't need to upgrade them to sort out the brake bias.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
notlownf said:
I tried searching but that was useless.

My car is used primarily as a street car and it hardly ever see's the track so would it make sense for me to put on a Big Brake kit? Aside from the bling factor would it be benificial for a street car? My car will shortly be singled running in the 600rwhp range if that makes a differance.

Also what kits are you guys running and how do you like them?
IMO big brakes are worth it. I know the supra has excelent brakes stock but that doesnt mean you wont stop faster with a bigger brake system setup properly.
Especially from higher speeds.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I havent had to do a ton of high speed braking (no track time yet), but the one time a cyclist decided to pop out of nowhere I went from 140-> 10 pretty damn fast.

I would suggest trying some slotted or drilled rotors (for high speed stops), and some good pads. I dont care what people say, Hawks are a big improvement over OEM pads.

·
93 Hardtopper
834 Posts
twistedmethod333 said:
I havent had to do a ton of high speed braking (no track time yet), but the one time a cyclist decided to pop out of nowhere I went from 140-> 10 pretty damn fast.

I would suggest trying some slotted or drilled rotors (for high speed stops), and some good pads. I dont care what people say, Hawks are a big improvement over OEM pads.

HOLY SHIT!!!!

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
twistedmethod333 said:

I assume you are still using stock brake because I don't recall Hawks makes pads for AP or Brembro brakes.

IMHO, unless you use your car for track use, 600rwhp with stock brakes will be sufficient. If you want to brake better, get better tires and pads.

For rotors, cross drilled rotors look nice, but they can be cracking due to hard braking.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
AtlSupra said:
I assume you are still using stock brake because I don't recall Hawks makes pads for AP or Brembro brakes.

IMHO, unless you use your car for track use, 600rwhp with stock brakes will be sufficient. If you want to brake better, get better tires and pads.

For rotors, cross drilled rotors look nice, but they can be cracking due to hard braking.
Yep, OEM brakes. I noticed a huge difference when I went from Hawk pads back to OEM, pedal feel isnt as firm. Whoops, forgot about cracking problems with cross drilled. I dont really need them, but my next set will be slotted.; I really dont feel like getting brake fade during a 140-> 0 stop with a biker in front of me.

Im with you all the way on not goin for big brakes unless you do TONS of track events or have some serious power. Theres nothing wrong with gettin em sooner, I would just rather spend my money where it is needed more.

birmy said:
HOLY SHIT!
What? You disagree?

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I had an instance with Marc P in the car where I had to go from 120-130 in about 30-40 feet and the big brakes worked quite well. That being said if I ever start drag racing the car it makes finding a front skinnies. For street use there isn't much difference, however it makes for some good brake boosting :)

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
onelove said:
I had an instance with Marc P in the car where I had to go from 120-130 in about 30-40 feet and the big brakes worked quite well. That being said if I ever start drag racing the car it makes finding a front skinnies. For street use there isn't much difference, however it makes for some good brake boosting :)

?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wes did you forget some words in the 2nd sentence!!!?

But yes the brakes did pretty good, can't say the same for the ABS. :(

·
93 Hardtopper
834 Posts
twistedmethod333 said:
Yep, OEM brakes. I noticed a huge difference when I went from Hawk pads back to OEM, pedal feel isnt as firm. Whoops, forgot about cracking problems with cross drilled. I dont really need them, but my next set will be slotted.; I really dont feel like getting brake fade during a 140-> 0 stop with a biker in front of me.

Im with you all the way on not goin for big brakes unless you do TONS of track events or have some serious power. Theres nothing wrong with gettin em sooner, I would just rather spend my money where it is needed more.

What? You disagree?
Not with your suggestion but I disagree with driving 140 MPH where a bicycle might pop up out of nowhere. It kinda touches a nerve.

From what I understand, a multiple piston caliper helps the pads wear better, and avoids warping rotors whole lot less heat. I have heard that drilled rotors have a higher failure rate then slotted. Is there any truth to this?

Is it much different to service them?

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
If you don't road race or do serious top end pulls, save your money since the stock brakes are superb (especially for single use stops).

·
Registered
86 Posts
TT Tercel said:
tlicense...would like to see pics of the kit. Thinking of getting the AP racing set up
Here's some of one side of the kit. Sorry I've not got any of the kit installed, but I'm stripping them off in the next week or so to service them, and I was planning to do a write up for the UK site. I'll post a link when I do.

As far as whether it's worth it or not on the street, this kit WILL reduce your braking distance over stock. That's got nothing to do with being on the track.
With 600bhp, you're more likely to be slowing down from reasonably high speeds on a more frequent basis. I'd rather be able to do it in as short a distance as possible if the need arose, hence I went for this kit.

·
SUPRA'S SITH LORD
319 Posts
i have big brakes on my NA-T. i say try it out and see but to me imo it's worth it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you are into high speed highway fun I would say get the big brakes ! My stocks did not like repeated 150 + braking at all.... got quite scary one time. This was with hawk pads.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.