Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
4 T's and an X
2,100 Posts
I had the full AP Racing kit on my green car (fronts 14.25). They were really good brakes. Sold them as I have a full Brembo kit (not on the car yet).

·
JetFire
5,312 Posts
In the Z32 community there are brackets available to use the SRT8 6 pot/4pot fronts and 4 pot rear calipers using 370Z rotors. One of those guys has a Supra and made adapters to use the 6 pot fronts with ISF Rotors. I'm sure he's a member here don't know his name, will send him link to this thread.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So your saying these guys know more than Ferrari, Porsche, GM, Ford, Dodge, Nissan.......nevermind.

Steve K.
No I'm not saying they know more than the manufacturers, I was merely relaying info by some people who track GT Cars professionally. Hence not many rr teams run factory brake setups brembo or not. Not even Supras at the highest level and they are some of the best factory setups imo. I don't track enough to really tell if they are saying anything of value which is why i added a disclaimer of this might not mean anything to anyone. Most of my racing experience has been auto x and light nasa events. Have a great day Steve!

·
Registered
478 Posts
When you say "multiple people have told me to stay away from Brembo anything, as the castings crack if you use them at all on the track", I assume you're talking about the rotors cracking? I've run many OEM brembo rotors on the track with some pretty heavy cars (3500+lbs) on heavy braking/high speed tracks and never had any cracking issues. Also never had any cracking issues with my slotted Stoptech BBK rotors. Can't say I've seen anyone else crack them either, but these are just my observations and experiences, not data, fact or saying those guys are wrong. The only rotor I ever cracked was a Powerslot brand rear rotor that cracked clean through the rotor face after a run at VIR full course.

I read somewhere that there really are only a couple of manufacturing facilities for brake rotors and most are just rebranded, but I have no proof to back that up. I would be surprised to find out AP, Stoptech, Brembo, Willwood, etc are all using unique manufacturing facilities, but could be the case.

I did read an article recently that there is a rash of Chinese-made counterfeit BBKs that are indistinguishable from authentic Brembo/AP, etc kits ending up on the market. Wonder if that could lead to increases in failures for certain brands?
Yes I was talking about rotors. Thats great info, what kind of driver are you and tire compounds do you track on? Avg braking speeds and g's?

I have never heard anyone not liking their Stoptechs. They have proven their product as much as anyone in my eyes. That Chinese stuff sounds scary to spend that much and it turns out to be junk. I'm no expert in brake systems, I just like to ask a lot of questions to reputable qualified people and read well documented info on what I can get my hands on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am interested in a big brake kit for the front of my supra. I have 15 inch weld wheels coming for the rears, so I am stepping back to the 1 pot rears.

I am interested in the 6 piston stoptech brakes for the front, has many people ran a 6 piston brake at the front with a 1 piston rear brake?? does this cause any problems with balance of braking?

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Terry

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
BBK Kit

This may not mean anything to anyone but I had a chassis tuner tell me that most BBK kits are junk and worse than stock. He also said 90% of brakes on Nascars are AP Racing for a reason. I cannot verify that statement but it makes sense. Multiple people have told me to stay away from Brembo anything, as the castings crack if you use them at all on the track. This I have seen with my own eyes, No Brembo system that I have seen, stock or modified has not cracked from the lightest track use. They are expensive to replace as well. He also said stay away from stoptech, because they are not made very well- but that was a long time ago and I don't know anyone who actually was unhappy with their stoptech BBK. They have gotten much better over the last 10+ years.

You may think they all crack under track use, but the difference is when they crack. Brembos can start cracking in hours of one day of hot lapping, whereas an AP Racing BBK of the same caliber might take 1 month of same abuse to do the same. They are not equal.

That being said, of all the kits out there there are two that stand out to me as the best functional use for the buck.

http://www.tbmbrakes.com/hurricane_rotors, Calipers <--- The Brake Man BBK <-vid

http://www.performancefriction.com/aftermarket/calipers.aspx <--- Performance Friction BBK <-vidhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7UDB4Jcn0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsqxW1yPbGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbDzFD31hY0

I do know more than a few cars running The Brake Man and so far none of them have gone through a set of rotors yet. Some of these are on dedicated track cars. They will never switch to something else. Most of these people switched from Brembo and will never go back. They went from replacing Brembo pads and rotors every track session to Brake Man BBK years and years on the track with no pad or rotor wear or warpage. One mustang guy said he was replacing Brembo rotors every track session, to switch to Brake Man he has not replaced the Hurricane rotors or pads in 10 years of track racing. He was just coming to the point that he could replace the pad. These are on Winston Cup cars to sprint cars to monster trucks.

I only know Supras running Performance Friction Pads on the track and have rave reviews of them on the Stock brakes, the aftermarket BBK looks like it will perform even better. Zero Drag calipers, we already know they make excellent track worthy pads, this seems like a great choice.
Supra T thank you so much for the info with links! I will contact both of them Monday!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will made my custom BBK...

I Bought the following parts:

- AMG ML55 Brembo Rear Calipers
- Mitsubishi Evolution 8 Brembo Front Calipers
- Subaru Impreza STI Brembo Front Discs
- The rear disk will stay OEM.

My TT have the NA Brakes on it right now..

I will made the brackets for the calipers..

Any Advice???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
This may not mean anything to anyone but I had a chassis tuner tell me that most BBK kits are junk and worse than stock. He also said 90% of brakes on Nascars are AP Racing for a reason.I cannot verify that statement but it makes sense.
I wont argue with what your chassis tuner has told you... many companies will develop their own BBK using brembo calipers. These are commonly mistaken as brembo Gran Turismo BBK... they are not. Brembo Gran Turismo BBK are also the only DOT approved BBK system available... and that actually means something.

your chassis tuner left one thing out...
In NASCAR racing, the brakes are RARELY used. Lifting off the throttle is enough to cause a chain reaction pileup... jus try n' brake check Jeff Gordon, n' he'll shove that brake pedal right up yer ass. ;) They may tap the brakes once entering pit road which has a mandatory speed limit of approimately 55mph (depending on the track)... but the only time they will genuinely use their brakes, is to stop at their designated pitstop... from a speed of about 55mph.

Multiple people have told me to stay away from Brembo anything, as the castings crack if you use them at all on the track. This I have seen with my own eyes, No Brembo system that I have seen, stock or modified has not cracked from the lightest track use. They are expensive to replace as well. He also said stay away from stoptech, because they are not made very well- but that was a long time ago and I don't know anyone who actually was unhappy with their stoptech BBK. They have gotten much better over the last 10+ years.
I beginning to question what you have seen?...brembos cracking from light track use? Really?? Perhaps you are mistaken and the paint surface was cracked or it was the result of a wreck or a fire..what exactly caused that brembo caliper to crack? I dunno but I can assure you it wasnt due to an inferior design or quality that continues to make brembo the leader in braking.

You may think they all crack under track use, but the difference is when they crack. Brembos can start cracking in hours of one day of hot lapping, whereas an AP Racing BBK of the same caliber might take 1 month of same abuse to do the same. They are not equal.
Now is this your chassis tuner talking or is this just you overstepping your boundaries? How is it that brembo is able to endure 12 hours of Sebring or conquer 24hrs of Nurburgring or 24hrs at LeMans??? repeatedly??? Today brembo is exclusively used in Formula1 and MotoGP which are the fastest, most demanding, most technically advanced, motor racing in the whole wide world. Tell that to your tuner and see what he says...

Here's some more insight... Brembo and AP Racing are more equal than you know... brembo acquired AP Racing 14 years ago...:faint: http://www.brembo.com/en/il-gruppo/Storia/Pages/Anni-00.aspx

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
once the new Z06 Carbon ceramic brakes becomes readly avalilbe, I would like to try carbon ceramic brakes on your supra.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
BremboGT 380mm 6 Piston Monoblocks With Endless Brake Pads

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
BremboGT 380mm 6 Piston Monoblocks With Endless Brake Pads
not just 6-piston.... 6-Ventilated Sequential Piston Monoblocks. :)

Notice the leading piston is smaller and spaced slightly ahead of the "sequentially" larger trailing pistons. Rather than 6 equally sized pistons, forcing an abrubt pad engagement... brembo's sequential design develops a more efficient, smoother and more controllable clamping force ...this also results even wear, increased pad life.

Those are sweet... I didn't realize alternative pads are also available...
Those "center hats" deffinately look lighter than previous... and have a new design that I haven't seen before... it doesn't touch the rotor disc at all. :scratch:

·
Drive Hard
632 Posts
Here's my 15" brembo monoblock front and rear
unfortunately don't fit my 19 oz racing wheels for 1mm only (bolts rim are not torqued)

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts

·
Inline for the win
4,693 Posts
caliper touch inside rim on both front and rear
now i'm ordering a set of DPE or Forgeline wheels that will clear my brakes
Go Forgeline all the way.

3x owner and going for round 4.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
once the new Z06 Carbon ceramic brakes becomes readly avalilbe, I would like to try carbon ceramic brakes on your supra.

Why wait? Do realize that essentially is a brembo GT 6-piston BBK with a brembo carbon ceramic rotor? That is the same brembo "center hat" design and the same exact patented brembo mounting hardware that reddeerTT has? :confused:

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
^^^ will need to change the bolt pattern in the hat - corvettes are 5x120 (iirc).

Also need to have mounting brackets made.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The WP Pro L8 kit is another option ! Amazing response ,incredibly smooth and consistent braking in wet or dry conditions.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts