Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some recommendations for big brake brands that make some for the Supra?

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I want to upgrade my NA brakes into some big brakes, mostly for aesthetics and also because the old ones are on their way out. Looking for some CHONKY big brakes.
Brembos seem best for tracking since their prices are really high, I would expect the best in terms of longevity and performance from them.
What are some alternatives for a street spec car though, that won't burn a hole through your wallet?
What are you running on your Supra?

· Registered
1,041 Posts
I heard great things about the K-sport brakes. They are TÜV approved, so the quality is there.
The Brembo 17z calipers some people are using look very good as well, but I haven't read any reviews about their performance.

Casper

· Super Moderator
14,011 Posts
A proper big brake kit and 'won't burn a hole through your wallet' are mutually exclusive.

The kit pictured in your post appears to be one of the SRT8 Brembo conversions, those are popular these days and relatively affordable compared to a proper Brembo GT BBK.

Ultimately, what's your comfortable budget and what's the exact model and spec of the wheels you're running? Budget is one thing, and BBK fitment depends heavily on wheel diameter AND caliper clearance from the wheel face design.

· Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, to clear up some fog: I am mostly after aesthetics. So if the brand is cheap (not rubbish level cheap), then it's alright. I am ultimately after large calipers that don't have to be made for tracking with extremely tough materials and precision etching on them. If brembo replicas exist (that arent plastic stick on toys) then that sort of thing is what I am after right now. A completely street spec brake that happens to be larger (for looks)

· Registered
2,214 Posts
You own a supra so lets get the idea of "replica" out of your head.

With that being said, there are multiple retro fits of OEM brembo brake set ups from other cars that work on the supra.

-17z from VW, Porsche & Audi SUV's.
-Mustang GT350
-Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

These all work in conjunction with Lexus IS-F rotors and there are multiple people that make brackets to install them on our cars and you can get aftermarket SS lines.

Ive been doing some research on the topic myself and the Jeep calipers have become fairly expensive and very hard to get due to back order. 17z and the GT350 calipers are a little more budget friendly.

Use the search function, there are some threads that will help with more info for each set up.

· Master Shit Fixer
5,007 Posts
I am mostly after aesthetics
You won't like this answer, but you're about to waste a lot of money. Upgrading from NA brakes is a good step, but the stock TT calipers/rotors are excellent at doing their one job. But you want to spend thousands of dollars to look like you have even more powerful brakes than a stock TT? And if that BBK can actually do what it looks like it can do, you're only ever going to use 25% of its ability (on the street)? SMH

· Super Moderator
14,011 Posts
Hey guys, to clear up some fog: I am mostly after aesthetics. So if the brand is cheap (not rubbish level cheap), then it's alright. I am ultimately after large calipers that don't have to be made for tracking with extremely tough materials and precision etching on them. If brembo replicas exist (that arent plastic stick on toys) then that sort of thing is what I am after right now. A completely street spec brake that happens to be larger (for looks)
Dude please re-read what you just typed and think for 15 seconds. Brakes are safety equipment and there's a reason larger/better brakes are so expensive. There's no 'economy' or 'street spec' to anything except maybe brake pad selection.

So if all you want is appearance, just get the bullshit plastic caliper covers so you're at least keeping OE quality factory brakes.

If you'd actually like to improve your braking performance with safe and proven parts combos, try these:

-'95-99 Lexus LS400 (Celsior) Aluminum 4-pot fronts w/matching rotors; these OE LS400/Celsior parts bolt right on and are an excellent improvement in braking and appearance for the money spent. The caliper face is blank so you can put whatever decal or etching you want on it. Better wheel clearance than JZA80 4pots too.

-JZA80 iron 4-pot+2pot rears w/matching rotors; timeless proven performance and appearance but not very wheel-fitment friendly due to large calipers. Many BBK friendly wheels will still need spacers to clear stock JZA80 4pots.

-SRT Brembo adapter kits. I'm not sure if the Dodge SRT8 Brembo 6-pot calipers are available or common down there, but it's a very popular upgrade up here. Usually these will be sold as a bracket kit or brackets+lines and you'll source your own SRT8 Brembos. Most of these kits use Lexus IS-F rotors so you get the exact matching Toyota 60.1mm hub centerbore and 5x114.3 bolt pattern. I'm pretty sure that's the kit you've got pictured in your OP. Depending on the kit you buy and whether you source the SRT8 Brembos from a junkyard for cheap or buy brand new, these run $2000-$3000 USD total front & rear, and get you Brembo BBK appearance and damn near Brembo GT BBK performance.

Proper BBK's that aren't as expensive as Brembo/Stoptech but still are reasonably good value:
-Ceika
-KSport
-AZ Performance+Wilwood

· Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You own a supra so lets get the idea of "replica" out of your head.
😂I'm forced into replacing my brakes because they are "worn and warped." To what extent? I'm not sure. I don't really feel any issues while driving, and my non-mechanic eyes don't see anything other than some rust, but I will take my mechanic's word. I don't want to spend a good amount of money on replacing small NA brakes since I will eventually upgrade to big brakes in the future anyway. I might as well do it now, rather than paying twice. The thing I was wondering is if I could get away with some sort of larger brakes that (yes serve their function) but also look good without breaking the bank. The general gist seems to be that there aren't any big brakes that aren't made for non-tracking purposes. I see big brakes on a LOT of cars around here, and also on classic JDMs (that are clearly garage decorations that see sunlight once every 3 months). None of these cars are tracked. So I thought that maybe there may be some sort of non-tracking alternatives that are cheaper since they aren't so performance focused. Probably not though. It looks like people just pay the full cost, and then not use them for their intended purpose.

With that being said, there are multiple retro fits of OEM brembo brake set ups from other cars that work on the supra.

-17z from VW, Porsche & Audi SUV's.
-Mustang GT350
-Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

These all work in conjunction with Lexus IS-F rotors and there are multiple people that make brackets to install them on our cars and you can get aftermarket SS lines.
If you'd actually like to improve your braking performance with safe and proven parts combos, try these:

-'95-99 Lexus LS400 (Celsior) Aluminum 4-pot fronts w/matching rotors; these OE LS400/Celsior parts bolt right on and are an excellent improvement in braking and appearance for the money spent. The caliper face is blank so you can put whatever decal or etching you want on it. Better wheel clearance than JZA80 4pots too.

-JZA80 iron 4-pot+2pot rears w/matching rotors; timeless proven performance and appearance but not very wheel-fitment friendly due to large calipers. Many BBK friendly wheels will still need spacers to clear stock JZA80 4pots.

-SRT Brembo adapter kits. I'm not sure if the Dodge SRT8 Brembo 6-pot calipers are available or common down there, but it's a very popular upgrade up here. Usually these will be sold as a bracket kit or brackets+lines and you'll source your own SRT8 Brembos. Most of these kits use Lexus IS-F rotors so you get the exact matching Toyota 60.1mm hub centerbore and 5x114.3 bolt pattern. I'm pretty sure that's the kit you've got pictured in your OP. Depending on the kit you buy and whether you source the SRT8 Brembos from a junkyard for cheap or buy brand new, these run $2000-$3000 USD total front & rear, and get you Brembo BBK appearance and damn near Brembo GT BBK performance.

Proper BBK's that aren't as expensive as Brembo/Stoptech but still are reasonably good value:
-Ceika
-KSport
-AZ Performance+Wilwood
I'll keep these in mind when looking around, thanks!

Use the search function, there are some threads that will help with more info for each set up.
Seem like most of the members (with high post counts) support OEM TT brakes over BBKs.

You won't like this answer, but you're about to waste a lot of money. Upgrading from NA brakes is a good step, but the stock TT calipers/rotors are excellent at doing their one job.
Well, this is a part of my research stage. I haven't locked in anything, and just getting some Supra drivers' thoughts and knowledge on the topic.

And if that BBK can actually do what it looks like it can do, you're only ever going to use 25% of its ability (on the street)? SMH
Funny you mention this. I don't know how common BBKs are over there, but I see BBKs all over here. And they are mostly on cars that are clearly used as garage decorations. It's not that uncommon. I will start to ask people why they are running BBKs now and see what they say.

There's no 'economy' or 'street spec' to anything except maybe brake pad selection.
Yea, it sure seems that way. I'm clearly new to this topic, so I am still looking into it. I'm surprised at how common they are here locally, despite their prices.

So if all you want is appearance, just get the bullshit plastic caliper covers so you're at least keeping OE quality factory brakes.
I'll never go that low hahaha I wanted a middle ground where the brakes are large, but idk something like 30-40% cheaper than Brembos/Wilwoods

· Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the sounds of it, it looks I will have to just get my OEM ones replaced, and then change/upgrade the brakes again when I NA-T the car in the unknown future.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
Seem like most of the members (with high post counts) support OEM TT brakes over BBKs.
I didn’t recommend them because your original post mentioned “aesthetic” and “chonky”

But the oem TT brakes are more than adequate, and they actually look nice too, most RHD cars I’ve seen here that came with the NA brakes usually have upgraded to the oem TT brakes, but once again, given the verbiage used in your original post I didn’t think this would be an option for you.

· Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn’t recommend them because your original post mentioned “aesthetic” and “chonky”

But the oem TT brakes are more than adequate, and they actually look nice too, most RHD cars I’ve seen here that came with the NA brakes usually have upgraded to the oem TT brakes, but once again, given the verbiage used in your original post I didn’t think this would be an option for you.
Yea, I most likely won't be going with the OEM TT's when I upgrade, but we will see.
I only brought them up because you said I should search on the forums, which I did, and I noticed that most long time users have a preference for OEM TT's. It was just an observation that I made after looking at other posts. (y)

· Registered
2,214 Posts
If it counts for anything, I do experience brake fade when doing multiple 250 km/h runs in Mexico on the TT brakes.

Not a big safety issue as there’s always room to coast but I’m gonna do a BBK in hopes of less fade in these instances.

· Master Shit Fixer
5,007 Posts
If it counts for anything, I do experience brake fade when doing multiple 250 km/h runs in Mexico on the TT brakes.
The fade is from your pads (the material they're made of), technique, and fluid. Larger calipers (and slightly larger pads) won't necessarily get rid of the fade.
  • Pads: Look at Carbotech's compound webpage. It's all about heat tollerance.
  • Technique: it's better to brake intensely for a shorter amount of time than to brake gently for a long period of time when slowing down from 250km/h / 155mph.
  • Fluid: Motul RBF 660 or Castrol SRF can take a lot more heat before boiling than auto-parts-store DOT4 fluid.

· Super Moderator
14,011 Posts
Absolutely - but that's because most folks will honestly never exceed what OEM TT's with good pads, rotors, and fluid can do. A whole lot of folks have spent $4k+ to get results that mindful pad selection and proper high temp fluid could have achieved with the OEM TT's.
But if you're doing really high speed stops or track days or otherwise genuinely exceeding the capabilities of those OEM TT's, then it's usually time to jump into a proper big boy BBK like a Brembo GT or Stoptech kit.

Not a big safety issue as there’s always room to coast but I’m gonna do a BBK in hopes of less fade in these instances.
That absolutely counts for something - what pads/fluid are you running?

The OEM pads are focused more on NVH and low dust production, and cold/low speed 'bite'. High temp/high speed stops like you're doing are not what those pads were meant to handle. If your pedal is getting soft then it's the brake fluid itself that's not keeping up, and a good high temp motorsport-oriented brake fluid will make a big difference there.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
I will eventually probably get just the oem tt calipers but ctsv calipers look great too haha. I just don't see a reason for my goals to need more then the tts, and they look great imo aswell. You might have wheel clearance issues with some of the brakes listed above.

· Registered
289 Posts
Im going with brembos off 2015-2020 mustang gt350s (6 piston). I like that they are radially mounted so the setup is very similar to off the shelf bbk for our cars. The calipers are pretty cheap as well, you can get the pair for usually less than 500. With the correct hardware for the Autosport engineering brackets you can either use isf or gsf rotors which are 14 & 15in diameters.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
That absolutely counts for something - what pads/fluid are you running?

The OEM pads are focused more on NVH and low dust production, and cold/low speed 'bite'. High temp/high speed stops like you're doing are not what those pads were meant to handle. If your pedal is getting soft then it's the brake fluid itself that's not keeping up, and a good high temp motorsport-oriented brake fluid will make a big difference there.
Stoptech pads and I cant remember which brand brake fluid I put in, if memory serves me right it was something I grabbed from my mechanic and he usually gives me the good stuff.

I havent done the most research on braking but my logic is, more surface area, less heat so bigger brakes would be less effected by multiple high speed stops.

· Master Shit Fixer
5,007 Posts
Stoptech pads and I cant remember which brand brake fluid I put in
Well, I'm sure that Stoptech, like Carbotech, has many different models of pads, with different heat tollerances. And if you can't remember the brand and model of brake fluid, then I'm willing to bet it's insufficient. If you didn't spend > $75 on a liter of Motul or Castrol high-temp brake fluid, then what you have is not up to the job you're putting your brakes through.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts