Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 mkiii and I just bought an 89 mkiii because the body on the 87 was in really bad condition. Both are turbo 5spd and stock, but for some reason, my 87 seems to pull a lot harder and runs smoother than the 89. The only difference is that the clutch on the 89 is about to give out and that the 87 has a cone for the turbo. The 87 also has a rebuilt engine and the 89 only has 120k on it. Should this really make that much of a difference in how the two cars drive?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
I'd say the rebuild and cone is what makes it pull harder. The clutch shouldn't make much difference unless you're mainly launching or if it's slipping/going out.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
there is NO difference between years on the r-154

at least as far as i know...ive swapped different years and seen all of them up close and personal and theres not differences..

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
Ideal, he's asking about the cars, not the trannies, lol...

There are no R154 differences though, you are right.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Ideal, he's asking about the cars, not the trannies, lol...

There are no R154 differences though, you are right.
hmmm i guess you could look at it that way...heh... :doh: .. i was looking at the title saying "any differences between 87 and 89 5spd"

so i thought he meant the trannies...

good call ;)

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Do the pre 89 and post 89 run the same gear ratio in the rear end? I tend to *not* remember details that don't affect my '89. :)

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
87-88 Turbo have 3.91:1 gearing
89-92 Turbo have 3.73:1 gearing

They feel very similar though, from my experience.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Yes...Jeff is correct on the gearing. Thier is a difference in feel. I can go like 45 or so on my 8500 redline 1jz in first. Its crazy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts