Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone... Houston got about 10" of rain yesterday, and the street outside my office building was flooded. Luckily the supra was saved, because I was able to move it to higher ground before the water rose too high.

I know the engine bay got soaked, but I don't think any water got sucked inside.

I let it sit overnight and went out to start it this morning. It started up first try which is a good sign. I let it idle for a few minutes, then turned it off and checked the oil. Oil was clean... again a relief. I tried revving the motor some and it was cutting out at 1k rpms, and wanted to die when I let off the gas. I checked the codes and found none. Then I borrowed the air compressor here at work and started to blow dry everything. I removed the spark plugs and wires and blew the spark plug valley dry. There was a significant amount of water in there, but I managed to get it all out. I then slapped everything back togther, and started it up. The motor started and idled fine. I gave it gas slowly and got it to rev, but it started cutting out past 4k rpms. I tried giving it WOT and it would immediately start to stutter and die.

I took it for a spin around the block. It's driveable as long as I don't go above 4k. However, if I give it too much gas (greater than 30% throttle) it will start to stutter at any rpm. The car bucks and shakes like it is hitting fuel cut. Any ideas? Do I just need to let it dry out more?

G

·
i agree with the previous guy...
tho, when it rained in SD last year and i had the same problem, the AFM threw codes in my case. try swapping it out with someone else' AFM and see if that does any better.

MelloBoy

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
you could just try and clean the afm..i have heard of that happening up here in dallas and over here in nac to w/ the mk3 crowd...might jsut have some water marks on it or a few drips...jsut be careful cleaning it....

edit.... or just ditch the old afm and go w/ a lexus model.... ;):D

G

·
there could also be another problem..

Water could have gottend into the distributer (and in the park plug hloes) and at higer RPMs cause the ingition to short or arc.

That would result in the stuttering as well.. Let it dry out a bit more and it should be ok..

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Uh.....where are you ppl getting these possible problems from??? He said 10 inches of water, not 10 feet of water. Dave, just take the car out for a spin somewhere....there's still wate lingering around in your bay. It'll evaporate and the car will be back to normal. I've been through the same thing before, just let it dry.

Kruso

1 - 8 of 8 Posts