Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here we go with bench racing...I know some ppl hate it =)

My friend and I have been building our cars and talking crap to each other for about 3 years now and finally getting the chance to run this friday for a nice domestic vs import grudge match. All our friends are coming out and I'm a bit nervous.

His car is a 1966 Mustang 2750lbs, 3spd automatic, 2800rpm stall, a very snappy 302 SBF 10:1 compression, fully built with edelbrock aluminum heads, roller rockers, victor jr intake, holley 650 carb, 150shot NOS, 3.80 gearing with locker and ET full drag tires. I'm guessing 380HP on the motor and about 550 with NOS giving him a 5lbs/HP power ratio

My supra

All seats taken out except drivers, 6spd, completely stock block, Turbonetics T72 turbo with .84 exhaust side, 4" downpipe and exhaust, 46mm wastegate, 850cc injectors, FPR, -10 lines, dual supra fuel pumps, MAP ECU I, RPS Stg 3 clutch, 16" RX7 wheels with Mickey Thompsons 10.5" ET Streets slicks, TRD LSD and rush 2 step anti-lag. I'm trying to tune my car for more boost but the ignition is limited me to 20-22lbs of boost @ 11.5 A/F's. I will be regapping my plugs tonight and trying for more boost. My HP is unknown at this time.

With both are rusty and haven't been to the track in 3 years.

I bet he will launch like hell on me having a live axle and lighter weight plus automatic and NOS...my mid-top end is stronger..

Any guesses on what the outcome will be? Even if I had a decent launch would I be able to catch him?

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah that car is light and is the biggest advantage it has besides having an automatic.

Makes me think sometimes I should of just left the car stock twins so I didn't have hole shot problems and used NOS at the track.

· Premium Member
29,523 Posts
I have seen/built/driven/raced a gazillion cars with specs like your friend's Mustang. Based on his mod list, you will destroy him.

Your launch will be EVERYTHING. ohnoes: If I were you, I would get as many practice runs as you (and your clutch) can do the day before you race. If you can get a good launch, I'll bet you pass him by the time you shift in to 3rd.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the postive support guys! lol Fyrams that makes me feel better. So based on his mod list what do you think he will run?

I just bought a NOS kit yesterday to aid with my launch in case I bog.

Yup I am running C16

· Premium Member
29,523 Posts
So based on his mod list what do you think he will run?
I am assuming some variables. Mustangs have small wheel wells, so I am guessing a 27" tire height. I am also guessing he may pull 6000rpm through the traps. In a perfect world, on a track, with perfect traction, if he really puts 550hp to the ground, he should be able to run a 10.0 ET. The world is not perfect, though, so I bet he runs a 10.60-10.80 ET if his car is running well. His gear ratio is probably a little high, as I would run somewhere between a 3.50 and 3.73 gear. However, he may have taller tires than I guessed he had.

If you tune your car and get more than 28psi out of that T72, you should run better than him. Supras with smaller turbos have gone much quicker.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am assuming some variables. Mustangs have small wheel wells, so I am guessing a 27" tire height. I am also guessing he may pull 6000rpm through the traps. In a perfect world, on a track, with perfect traction, if he really puts 550hp to the ground, he should be able to run a 10.0 ET. The world is not perfect, though, so I bet he runs a 10.60-10.80 ET if his car is running well. His gear ratio is probably a little high, as I would run somewhere between a 3.50 and 3.73 gear. However, he may have taller tires than I guessed he had.

If you tune your car and get more than 28psi out of that T72, you should run better than him. Supras with smaller turbos have gone much quicker.
You're right his tire is small..its actually a 26". Its a 8" slick because the fenders dont allow for a wider tire. His motor revs happily to 7500RPM. He'll be making that 550HP to the crank. He has an old C-4 tranny which are known to eat up HP to turn. I agree his gear ratio is high. I've been in his car and it seems like it tops out pretty quick. Once it gets to the top end it feels like its not pulling very hard.

Also he wasn't able to install the caltrac's setup which turns the leaf spring suspension into a 4 link. So he is just running leaf springs with traction bars. I assume he will still axle wrap or wheel hop?

Do you think that 60shot I'm installing will help me out of the hole better then my antilag setup?

· Premium Member
29,523 Posts
Oh, man. :) Your buddy might have himself a 12.0 car in that case.

I am not an expert on the 60-shot versus antilag question. I would imagine the 60-shot would allow a softer launch than the antilag/2-step setup would. Unbroken parts FTW. :p

· Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
2,003 Posts
if you run him at 22 psi then i think you will be around 550-600 rwhp on your T72 supra.

with him being an automatic, a lot lighter and with nitrous i would definitely NOT underestimate him. a smaller tire doesn't mean he will go slower... it sounds like he has the proper tire size for his power level.

i would practice launching a lot until you get consistent 1.6-1.7 60 fts. i think that's what you'll need to catch him by the 1/4. anything over that and i don't think you'll be able to catch him.

now if you increase your boost and can stay in it the whole track, you will probably still catch him with a 1.8 or so 60'.

i don't think you'll need nitrous at all. set the 2-step so it's more of a soft cut instead of hard (anti lag). so you'll be leaving the whole at around 5-10 psi rather than the full 22psi. slip that clutch hard so you won't bog and don't misshift :)

good luck and get it on video!

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh, man. :) Your buddy might have himself a 12.0 car in that case.

I am not an expert on the 60-shot versus antilag question. I would imagine the 60-shot would allow a softer launch than the antilag/2-step setup would. Unbroken parts FTW. :p

My thoughts exactly Fyarms...I think the anti lag shocks the drivetrain and slipping is gonna take the toll on the clutch. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I launch and detect the oncome of bogging..won't hitting the NOS will give me V8 like low/mid range torque to pull me out of the hole and promote turbo boost? Which means it should be easier on the clutch and drivetrain correct?

Sleek I hope you're right! I will have like 10 different camera angles of our big race.

Its all in good fun...but I need to represent the supra. Everyone is saying he is the underdog because its the almighty supra. It seems everyones perception of the supras is they're fastest thing out there because all these youtube videos of supras smashing everything. Everyone is expecting this 'reputation' to live up to hahaha

On a side note do you guys know if supra's benefit from disconnecting the front sway bar? I know domestics do it to allow the front end get up higher and transfer more weight to the rear. Never heard of any supra guys trying that. Since I'm not going on any turns it shouldn't affect my handling too much?

· Inline for the win
6,404 Posts
If you have 26" ET streets (bias plys, not radials) with some skinnies up front backed with antilag, you should bust his arse.

Even if you have 2-step, you should do the same.

Get practice and be careful with that single disc slipping at high revs. It will fuse quicker than you think.

DP

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I have Bias Plys in the back. Unfortunately I don't have skinnies up front and will have to make do with the scary ride.

Yup I'll have to upgrade my clutch sometime. I'm afraid of fusing that single disc setup..I'm sure it'll fuse at some point.

Any ideas on disconnecting the front sway bar for better weight transfer?

If you have 26" ET streets (bias plys, not radials) with some skinnies up front backed with antilag, you should bust his arse.

Even if you have 2-step, you should do the same.

Get practice and be careful with that single disc slipping at high revs. It will fuse quicker than you think.

DP

· Registered
4,997 Posts
Leave the front sway bar on there.

Dont install the NOS kit, just use the anti-lag. NOS is likely to blow the tires away on the launch. Also, if the car bogs, the last thing you want to do is hit the NOS at low RPM.

Get the car tuned for high boost, add new plugs and you'll be fine. Run him best 2 out of 3, or 3 out of 5, and you should come out with more wins than him.

Al

· 1995 TT 6spd
381 Posts
you should blow his doors off. the most important thing it that you make sure your tune is good and you dont blow oil all over the track and hurt yourself or him. run straight c16, new plugs make sure you tune is dead on. leave on the antilag, no need for nitrous you dont have a huge turbo. you should do just fine

· Registered
931 Posts
h, 16" RX7 wheels with Mickey Thompsons 10.5" ET Streets slicks.
Any guesses on what the outcome will be? Even if I had a decent launch would I be able to catch him?
Go easy on your launch and if you do lose I say go for some high way run. Gl and looking forward on getting your results soon..

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
def do not put the nos on there cause then all you will hears is you had 2 power adders and he only has one so he will not admit to the loss.
lol we had that argument already I told him he has power adders..bigger cubes and two more cylinders.

well If I dont use the NOS off the line I'll just have it there just in case. I don't think it'll blow the tires off in 2nd or 3rd. Its a small 60shot. Also I could just run 24lbs and squeeze the through most of the run?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

BTW whats wrong with disconnected the front roll bar? I've seen lots of cars do it to allow the front end to come up higher to get a better launch. Do supra's not respond well to doing that?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.