Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know a lot of people on here have/had owned big hp rwd cars. I'm talking 600whp +. How usable is it on the street?

I'm trying to get a general idea of how rwd FI v8, v6 and 4 bangers do on the street. Do you need drag radials/ slicks to hook up all the time or?

opinions please. I would imagine power delivery is the major factor on how rwd cars hook up. How did yours (what ride) hook ?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Screw the power and get a car that handles well- it is much more thrilling to handle the twisties than it is pressing a gas pedal and going for the ride. Eh, different strokes I guess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my carreer of a horsepower addict I have built many 500-800hp n\a muscle cars and a few things are constant, unless you have a well thought out suspension and some kind of sticky street tire or slick, traction will be an issue. Most of my customers cars' have 4500 or bigger converters and 4.10 gears and up so they drive really nice around town but not so good on the highways. Also at that horsepower levels expect to run solid roller camshafts and change springs about every year or so.

·
mises.org
711 Posts
In my carreer of a horsepower addict I have built many 500-800hp n\a muscle cars and a few things are constant, unless you have a well thought out suspension and some kind of sticky street tire or slick, traction will be an issue. Most of my customers cars' have 4500 or bigger converters and 4.10 gears and up so they drive really nice around town but not so good on the highways. Also at that horsepower levels expect to run solid roller camshafts and change springs about every year or so.
I can't understand why people go with solid roller's, the difference is only noticable when your building an all out drag car, plus the inconvenience of having to check on the lash every week or so, changing the springs.. goes to show what some people are willing to give up for that small extra advantage.

8,181 Posts
even if you get a 600 hp car. the art is to put that power to the ground not driving it with spinning tires through 3rd gears. my wife can do that shit. but she prefers driving the IS300.

·
Registered
491 Posts
in terms of hooking on the STREET, not the track... maybe if youre looking to make some money street racing

i think AWD needs a lot of credit, but most likely with an EVO and a built trans making 600-ish worth of jam. this could catch a lot of bigger players by surprise (domestics of course) when you show up in a 4cyl car on street tires, that could run bottom 9's as it sits. but thats no doubt easier said than done. AWD or not, if you cant drive it, you will still take a shillacking out of the hole from a properly setup rwd'er

but from experience, its hard to beat a PROPERLY prepped and DRIVEN RWD car thats got some good suspension work out the back. even a tubbed small block on the bottle running a big tire can be a monster to overcome, so good luck stepping up with an IRS import that slows down an easy second on the street.

now if its just a question of "how much power can i enjoy on the street" and youre not trying to reign as king of the streets in your specific region...
it depends heavily on the type of car, tire and driver.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I drive my car daily at 700rwhp and have no problems. I have to run 315 drag radials which don't last long but that's the only problem.

Boost is nice because under 3K rpm it's a lopey vette where as when I hit it the car becomes violent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts