Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a big 4 row Greddy intercooler and single turbo (T-66). The lag is a little more than I had hoped for. I am only planning on making 600-625 rwhp, and am considering trading someone for a smaller 3 row. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions? Thanks.

Dan

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
bump, im curious on learning more about this

Brett

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Intercooler

The question was not actually in response to a loss of pressure under boost, but rather the least lag to get into boost. From the responses that I have been getting privately, it seems that unless you are making 700 rwhp, the best way to go is with a 3 core, such as a type S from HKS or 3-core from Greddy.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
the 4 row iirc is something like 1488ci :eek: its the intercooler i have...and im on stock twins :) lol, its a bit laggy...but im keeping it for when i go single

if youre planning on staying with the 66 (700whp or less), then i say drop to the 3 row...you should be able to make some money off of selling the 4 row to help with the 3.

i would recommend going with the 3 row over the hks type s. the type s can handle it (and people have put down major power on it) but i believe its only rated to like 550wheel. as i said, you can do more than that, but its kinda small for a 600rwhp application IMO.

Mark

·
Asshole MKIV owner.
1,011 Posts
This is interesting to me... I have a t61 .68 a/r bb turbo with 3 inch ic piping from the TB to the IC, and 2.5 inch IC piping from the IC to the turbo, along with the Blitz MKIV intercooler that measures 24x10.5x4 and my car sees full boost a little below 4000rpm.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
supraspeed- what is your question? my TTC with 4row makes full boost at 38-3900 (about where your t61 does)...its kinda rediculous...it needs a tune badly. i do have a monster cat in my exhaust though (custom in the superdragger) which im going to deal with soon.

btw your volume doing it quickly in my head i think is 1,008ci

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
ah i see...how much is your full boost (psi wise)?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
good luck on the new results. ive heard the t61 starts getting less efficient at 26 pounds...any comments on that?? i have seen a few dynos of that turbo from 27-29psi though, i suppose the efficiency loss isnt too bad then. (especially with nitrous)

·
Banned
942 Posts
You may want to look elsewhere for the lag cause. When I ran the 4-row my lag stayed the same, however power went up dramatically in the mid-range all the way to peak rpm.

Is your turbo outlet pointing straight down to take advantage of the 4-row piping. The 3-row piping has several bends including a 180 degree one off your turbo. The piping also necks down to 2" as it goes through the fender. This causes lag on the 3-row.

Do you have an AEM where you can view timing? Timing retard can cause lag, turbo wheel damage can cause lag, pressure leaks from turbo manifold or in intake system can cause lag, minor piston damage where the ceramic flaked off will cause lag if you're running a stock ECU because the stock ECU will pull out timing as a result of knock noise. A leaking BOV will appear to cause lag. Too big an A:R on the turbo will cause lag.

These are just a few of the places you might want to look.

In my experience the 4-row is better for cars over 600rwhp under 2,000 ft elevation, and over 700rwhp between 2,000-4,000 ft elevation.

Take care,
Chris.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
chris, what do you think of the HKS Type S FMIC? is it ok for a T61? im probably under 2000 feet, how is the piping? any crazy bends? i guess you know best.

Brett

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
As far as I can tell most of you are confusing lag with boost threshold. Lag is the amount of time between appliction of WOT and turbo response. Its measured in time (fractions of seconds or seconds). Boost threshold is the rpm at which your turbo reaches full boost.

A large volume intercooler should slow the response of your turbo (increase lag), but shouldn't have much impact on your boost threshold (when you see full boost). I haven't tested this first hand so correct me if you have, but I believe I'm correct.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
i was considering the 3-row or a hks type S, i think the type S is too small though, what aboiuyt the blitz that is 24x 10.5" x 4" is that too small to stick out of the bumper?

Brett

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
You did 550 RWHP ????
I thought it was more like 478 or something.
Dont go by the "dyno/mustang" scenario. That truely changes from one to another and cant be considered.
BTW the blitz intercooler is perfect for your combo. A 4 row is well over 5 inches thick and flows a much larger amount of air.
Orian, with a good tune and proper fuel adjustments your car will be pretty much @ 600 rwhp with a small dose of NO2 and it is the perfect street setup...Ask me how i know..:)
BTW your AR on that turbo is a .70 not .68..;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I ran 587 RWHP at 24 psi on the HKS-S FMIC. I am waiting for my 4-row when it is on I will see if it actually changes anything without adjusting psi.

John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts