Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, today me and mk3supraguy969 had his hood off to do some cleaning on his 88 n/a, we got almost done and decided to go inside for a bit, well it started raining and we didnt realize it but when we did we ran and covered the car. now the damn thing wont start for shit and when it does it idles at about 1300 rpm's, then sputters, then drops down to under 500 rpms sputters some more and die's, and if you give it gas it just die's all together. we changed the afm thinking it was that but it didnt change anything, if anyone can help it would be most appreciated, we have no idea where to start, maybe a bad sensor?????? :( :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,907 Posts
probably water in the spark plug valley. Get the car under cover, and then use a rag to mop up all the water from around the spark plugs and plug wires. If the distributor rotor and cap haven't been replaced in a while, now might be a good time. The same holds true for plug wires and spark plugs.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks alot i will start right now, again, thanks ALOT dude i appreciate it we are moving to florida and we have to have the thing running so seeing how you are the only one to help me i thank you a thousand times :hail:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Sounds most like water in spark plug valley. If you can dry it up as much as possible. If it will idle by itself then just let it sit there and idle, the water will burn out and then the car should be fine.


HTH,
joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,907 Posts
Just be careful if you do choose to dry it by idling. One guy who washed his engine with a hose, ended up burning the car down because the catalytic converter got so hot from all the HC's (from the miss-firing ignition)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,907 Posts
From: http://www.geocities.com/zeacarlos/cali/supra/burnsupr.html

On April of 1999, I washed my car on a Sunday afternoon. I then decided to also degrease the engine bay. I went ahead and of course ran the engine for a few minutes to heat up the engine, turned it off and sprayed engine degreaser to the whole entire engine bay from the brake booster to the radiator. After a few minutes later, I then water spray the entire engine bay. Later that day I jumped in the car to go for a ride, I first noticed the engine hesitated to start. Once it started, the engine was also idleing slugish. But I went ahead and went for a cruise. I noticed I had to press the accelerator harder to accelerate. Then I was on a red light, and the car next to me told me that there was fire under the car. I then turned off the car, steped out and looked under, and sure enough there was a small flame of fire near the vincinity of the catalytic converter. I then ran to a gas station about a block away to grab a fire extinguisher, and by the time I got back, there was fire inside the car. Few minutes later the fire rescue came and extinguish the fire.



Well I did a stupid thing to wash my car and not knowing where the spark plugs where(One is supposed to cover them and the distributor from water). I now know that the spark plugs are concealed behind the top engine ventilated cover. Not only that, but the spark plug are in a bowl space which can hold water and flood all six spark plugs inline. If water where to fill this bowl space, it would conduct the high voltage spark to all or partial spark to the six plugs thus causing a miss fire. Depending on how much flooding is present in this bowl area, either all or just two partial piston combustion is present. This scenario would lead to uncombusted fuel to escape the engine, out to the manifold, to the catalytic converter, out the muffler. Know, The Emmision Control System, which the catalytic converter heats up to a high temperature to burn up these carbons, but unfortuneatly for me it was burning fuel, thus igniting the catalytic converter on fire! Damn #$%^&@!
 
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
OMG!!! Thats horrible.....

I feel sorry for the dude:(
 

·
Just say no to Supras
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Wow:eek: Thats exactly why I spent $10 on a fire extinguisher for the car. That would beyond SUCK!
 

·
when this baby hits 88mph
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
yeah that isnt near the cat at all. hmm.

anyway- it could be water in the plug holes but first thing i would look at would be the distrib cap. if it gets just a tad bit of moisture in it- it will idle/run like crap. another good way to get water out of the plug holes is tampons (yeah i know).
good luck

dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,907 Posts
Sure it is. Imagine a flame starting at the main cat. Then imagine a guy driving while its on fire -- blowing the fire rearward. Fire would spread from the cat -- back. Guy realizes its on fire & pulls over. Fire then spreads upwards through the interior and slightly forward when the fire dept extinguishes. It'd be a lot more likely if this guy had an aftermarket downpipe -- overloading the one cat with the HC...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top