Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I was thinking of buying the HKS Cam Gears very soon and I still have some questions I need to clear my head from...

I have been reading that the 5bolt JUN Cam gears are better than the 3bolt HKS Cam gears. Is this true and why? I'm only gonna go BPU++ for now and I really like how the HKS looks.
What does this slipping really mean? Is it a BIG chance for it to happen or what? HKS is pretty nice stuff otherwise right?

Is it worth the extra money for the 5bolt JUN gears?

And finally, the most important question... How do I tune the gears or are they just bolt-on for the Supra TT? Any dyno results?

How much HP will they give me? I'm going to buy bought exhaust and intake...

Thanx in advance for all your time...

·
Registered
248 Posts
i have hks cam gear on the exhaust side(4 Retard). it has not slip as of yet. i did use loctite/threadlocker. i haven't redyno yet but its harder to get traction when flooring it at 40 in second gear.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm also using the HKS cam gears at BPU +. looks good and it haven't slip yet.

hey tt4playn, where can i buy the loctite/threadlocker? can you tell me how much and where? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
autozone, just tell them you want threadlocker and they'll show you where to get it instead of searching around for it. its about 6 dollars for a small tube(that's why i had a hard time searching) i think but it goes a long way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am going to install my hks cam gears next week. I was worried about slippage too. But I was looking through some old turbo mags. There were 800hp supras using hks gears and even cheap 3 bolt AEM ones. So I am not as worried as I was.

·
Registered
157 Posts
tt4playn said:
autozone, just tell them you want threadlocker and they'll show you where to get it instead of searching around for it. its about 6 dollars for a small tube(that's why i had a hard time searching) i think but it goes a long way.
do you know what size i should get? thanks in advance!;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All this sounds weird to me:mad:

OK, JUN Auto makes very nice performance things for the Supra but HKS is nice stuff to...

Why on earth would HKS make a bad cam gear and ruin there so wellknown and higly respected name?

I'm confused...

Any help clearing this out would be appreciated...

Thanx!:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, please post dyno results or personal experiences...

Thanx guys/girls!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Come on guys!

Is the HKS reliable?

Is it worth the money to buy JUN instead?

I'm only gonna go BPU...

ALSO, what happens if the cam gear actuallt slips? Is it much dangerous for the engine?

Sorry if the questions are stupid...

Thanx!

·
Registered
248 Posts
hks are FINE, use them if you don't want to shell out the money for jun or unorthodox. if want more bolts on the hks, just thrill yourself two more holes thread them,put a bolt through them and be done with it:rolleyes: . if it slip, you will know it when your engine runs like crap.

ps. why is there so many post on this topic in almost every section? isn't one enough:confused:.

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
When installing the threadlock, be sure to back out yoru screw, apply then retorque the screw.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you really dont want to have the cam gears slip any amount. if they do your valves can come in contact with your piston and that would be a bad thing. As for the hks verses the jun i like the jun. they are lighter and stronger. They might not look as pretty but i dont care about looks as much as performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts