Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home from my girlfriend's house tonight and i pull up to my house and put the car in neutral. While i was sitting in it letting it cool down a little i was shifting throught the gears with the clutch pressed in, then when i tried to get it in gear to move it a little further forward, it stalled as if i was in 3rd gear.

the shifter moved freely around, as if i was not in gear, but i could not put it in anything except 3rd gear. but even when the shifter was supposed to be in neutral, it was still in 3rd gear. I tried moving my car forward to see if that may let it slip out of gear, but it didnt work.

Then finally i slammed the shifter up into 5th gear, and then pulled it out and it worked fine.

What could be wrong?
is my tranny ok? was it just a fluke, or do i need to get it rebuilt?

please, any help would be appreciated

thanks
Scott

·
Registered
945 Posts
Usually a sympton of a clutch release problem. Mine did similar, and still does a bit since replacing the master cylinder, but much better. Look under your pedal for signs of a seal failure (wet with fluid), make sure it is topped up, bleed it and inspect the slave for leaks. Outside of that, the release fork or the bearing could be culprits.

Bob

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i dont see how it could have to do with the clutch, it felt like the shifter went between 3rd and 5th gear and got stuck, then when i pulled it out, it stayed in 3rd gear. But when i forced it into the 5th gear position, then pulled it out, it worked fine again

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
Yep, its a shift fork issue. I have seen it many times before and they always seem to get stuck in 3rd! I had to drive 30 miles once that way.... it sucked. Unfortunately something is worn or broken and the tranny needs service.

Lar
SP

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, fortunatly it is working fine now, but when i replace my clutch in a few weeks, i am gonna have my tranny opend up and get it check out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts