Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Valve guide seals. Im replacing mine right now.

·
Boost-a-holic
555 Posts
its possible its valve seals but my car did the exact same thing when the turbo seals went...it would smog like crazy when i downshift and on and off when at idle...compare your spark plugs and your o2 sensor to help get an idea of whats up...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Buddy of mine had that problem, on idle he would smoke and on downshifting. The turbo is leaking either coolant or oil into the downpipe. In my buddy's case, his exhaust side was soo bad it was scraping the walls of the exhaust housing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
KnightRydeR said:
Buddy of mine had that problem, on idle he would smoke and on downshifting. The turbo is leaking either coolant or oil into the downpipe. In my buddy's case, his exhaust side was soo bad it was scraping the walls of the exhaust housing.
Not sure if you mean me(I'm in toronto too), but the wheel scraping sounds all too familiar...
You know though, it could very well be the turbo seals..I found that I'd smoke more at idle and when deaccelerating because it gave the chance for oil to build up
That said, if you're absolutely positive it's not the turbo, there's only a few other options. Good luck w/ it

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
supraphile said:
It is NOT the turbo seals. AQnyone else ever had these nsymptoms? Valvetrain? or rings?

I do not wanna tear apart the head if I don't have to. Just like I don't wanna drop the front crossmember if I don't have to.
88 mk3 turbo.
Sounds 100% like blown turbo seals. Valve stem seals smoke on startup, piston rings smoke on acceleration.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
White smoke is coolant, blue smoke is oil. There's no need for all caps, if you can't handle the answer don't ask the question.

G

·
0 Posts
:agreed:

white smoke = coolant
blue smoke = oil
black smoke = diesel, rings(usually)

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Black smoke is fuel, you will see it if you are running really rich. White can also be from cold start.

·
Turbo Meathead
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is billowing smoke. There are other ways to detect a source of smoke(God I can't believe I'm even wasting my time typing this argument)
Okay a slight amount of smoke as if from rings will create blue smoke. If a LARGE amount of oil is being dumped onto a hot surface it will create WHITE smoke due to it's density.(Think acrobatic flight shows)
Also Anyone who owns a Mk3 knows the unmistakable odor of coolant smoke. I stuck my nose in it of course and it is most definitely not coolant . (As also evidenced by the black residue on my white bumper.)
Don't let the number of posts fool you. I have been around the Supra scene a LONG time and let noone touch my car.
In other words talk to some other hack like an imbecile ,Assclown.

At any rate , I have a TRD Head I am slapping on and I Have taken into consideration that the turbo may have a bad seal.
it was in VERY good shape though so I will be surprised if that is indeed the case. Basically all I need to do now is prep the other block I have to handle some power and I will have a totally built motor.

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
i wasnt aware that TRD made a head for the mkiii?:scratch:

·
Turbo Meathead
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. I can't BELIEVE it though...Man I waited weeks for the assholes at the junkyard to warranty the First turbo they gave me. then I put this one on and make it to a bank. I go inside and come out and it is still running on the turbo timer but producing cumulonimbus sized clouds of oil smoke.I hate that I have to replace it (possibly again) But at least I can do the swap in a half hour.
DR. JONEZ Is there any kind of condition that would cause the seals to blow prematurely(bear in mind it was running for ten minutes and un boosted.)

·
Turbo Meathead
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AND GET THIS.
I just called the junkyard and they are telling me that my turbo is fine. and the turbo that I turned back into them was not the turbo that they sold me. That turbo was engraved on the bottom with the letters MAP and he is swearing that they engraved the impeller itself. Dumbasses. SO I said."what you are telling me is that you removed material from one side of a precision balanced wheel that turns at high speeds which would make it run eccentric?""No it wouldn't." But it's okay we took the cost of the turbo out of the guy's paycheck.

Now tell me that's not shitty.
I'm driving my car up there tomorrow smoke and all.With my old turbo.And I am going to demand to speak to the guy that got his pay docked.And I am going to tell that dirty white trash motherfucker behind the counter to call me a liar to my face.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
LOL, what a moron. First you insist up and down that it's not the turbo then suddenly you realize the facts add up to turbo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts