Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of doing some suspension work on my N/A. I am changing my stock shocks/springs over to Bilstein Shocks/ RS*R Ti2000 Springs. Last year I purchased these Bilstein shocks used off a Supra owner. They are a little dirty but they are in good working condition. It is my belief that Bilsteins will last forever - the things seem to be indestructible. Regardless of this, I have found a problem in putting the caps on two of them. It seems that whoever took them off the last Supra they were on damaged the threaded top ends on two of them. This threaded area is where the main bolt goes on to keep the springs compressed - the one that if you take it off the spring goes rocketing - you guys know what I'm talking about. Anyway, it looks like pieces of it have been broken off or something and it is keeping the bolt from going on. Just look at the pictures to see what I mean. My question is - can these shocks be saved? Can the top ends be safely filed down so that the bolt goes on? If so, will doing so screw up the suspension in any way? If that is not the answer then is there any other way to make these safely usable without having to buy all new shocks? Thanks guys, here are the pictures:

On a lighter note, we did get the cap on one of them - it looks nice

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
That happened on the used Koni's I bought. I sent them back to Koni and they put the shaft in a "soft vice" (as to not mar it) and unscrewed the stud and installed a new one. If the Bilsteins don't have a removable shaft, you could always attempt to re-thread the stud part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts