Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else rocking a set of these? I have a set of these struts that have a groove in the lower part of the strut where it seems you can run the lower mount up or down to adjust the ride height. I cannot find any docs online on what keeps this piece from moving. My driver front side has fallen down all the way. Comparing with the other side I can tell its one "rung" down. I havent rented a spring compressor yet to see if I can adjust it but wanted to see if anyone else has run into this and/or installed these. Am I better off lowering the rest of the sides to match and not worry about the shock that is "all the way down"?

The shock/strut I thought I had and found on Bilsteins website is the 24-011259 and 24-011266. But these dont look like they are adjustable at all. These are inside my H&R drop springs. I did find the original receipt from purchase from a company that is no longer in business and their part number is B46-1125-H3 and B46-1126-H3, This part number does come back on a Google search but only for purchase at online retailers.....

Any ideas/experience?

Thanks for your help!

Trey

·
Registered
182 Posts
i have the same bilstein struts and they are adjustable but i havent had that problem .who installed them for you?
Anyone else rocking a set of these? I have a set of these struts that have a groove in the lower part of the strut where it seems you can run the lower mount up or down to adjust the ride height. I cannot find any docs online on what keeps this piece from moving. My driver front side has fallen down all the way. Comparing with the other side I can tell its one "rung" down. I havent rented a spring compressor yet to see if I can adjust it but wanted to see if anyone else has run into this and/or installed these. Am I better off lowering the rest of the sides to match and not worry about the shock that is "all the way down"?

The shock/strut I thought I had and found on Bilsteins website is the 24-011259 and 24-011266. But these dont look like they are adjustable at all. These are inside my H&R drop springs. I did find the original receipt from purchase from a company that is no longer in business and their part number is B46-1125-H3 and B46-1126-H3, This part number does come back on a Google search but only for purchase at online retailers.....

Any ideas/experience?

Thanks for your help!

Trey

·
Super Moderator
11,529 Posts
TMK, the MK3 Bilsteins use a C-clip in the groove like most other Bilsteins but I haven't actually laid hands on the MK3 versions. Yes, they are used to adjust ride height.

Those same shocks are the basis for the 'Gixxerdrew' coilovers for the MK4 - which basically takes a threaded coilover sleeve and fits them onto the Bilstein shock body, and converts them to use traditional coilover springs, which you can buy in a huge array of spring rates, etc.

Might be time to whip up a MK3 set, or see why that one shock let its spring seat slide all the way down and replace the parts as necessary.

·
Night in the Ruts
921 Posts
Trey I have a set of these shocks sitting in my shed. As mentioned, there is a snap ring that goes in the grooves of the shock. you can adjust the height to 3 different settings on my shocks, which are the part numbers you mentioned at the end of your post, 1125 and 1126. You may have broken the snap ring or it slipped. You have to remove the strut in order to adjust it, so might as well fixed the one rather than adjust the other 3.
If you need a new snap ring, I have the name of the guy to talk to at Bilstein in So Cal.

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
yup i leav mine at the highest setting less bounchy since the spring are no longer per loaded

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trey I have a set of these shocks sitting in my shed. As mentioned, there is a snap ring that goes in the grooves of the shock. you can adjust the height to 3 different settings on my shocks, which are the part numbers you mentioned at the end of your post, 1125 and 1126. You may have broken the snap ring or it slipped. You have to remove the strut in order to adjust it, so might as well fixed the one rather than adjust the other 3.
If you need a new snap ring, I have the name of the guy to talk to at Bilstein in So Cal.
I would love that contact information. I have looked around the shock but I do not see any snap ring anywhere (on the "good" shock). Am I missing something? Do you happen to have a picture of the ring and possibly installed as well?

Since I have moved to the midwest I do not have much for resources anymore. Noone will even touch it as "they have never seen that before" and there is only one place here in town that rents spring compressors.

Thanks again guys.

Trey

·
Night in the Ruts
921 Posts
You can't see the snap ring. The lower spring seat covers it. I can snap some pics tomorrow afternoon and get them up. Your going to have to pull it out to figure out what's wrong.

·
Night in the Ruts
921 Posts
Here are a couple of shots of the struts. This is a front and rear strut. See how the lower spring seat covers the snap ring. I lifted the one so you can see what it looks like underneath. Bilstein says the top ring location is equal to the stock ride height, with stock springs.

·
Night in the Ruts
921 Posts
Perfect. Thank you. I was expecting something a bit more robust for the snap ring.

I owe ya one buddy.

Do you have a source to get those snap rings or do you think mine just slipped down?
I would jack the car up, take all the weight off the wheel, then see if you have play in the spring, and the bottom spring seat. If the snap ring is broken I would think the seat would fall down to the bottom.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ That is the case on the one that dropped. Its all the way down. Only way to see it.... is if I get the spring compressor and remove it. Hard to say its there or not without doing that. Im just going to have to rip into it. I only want to do it once cuz I am going to have to rent the compressor. Fucking $50 out here in po-dunk town. :)

·
Night in the Ruts
921 Posts
Jack up the car and take the wheel off, grab the spring and see how much play you have. If the snap ring is broken then you don't need the spring compressor to take it a part. When you get the new snap ring just take the strut assembly to a shop and give them $20 to compress the spring for you.
If it's that Po Dunk, you might get away with trading for a bag of Pork Rinds, and a six pack of PBR!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.