Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our new BL R154 Swap will consist of the driveshaft, bellhousing, flywheel, cltuch parts, flywheel bolts, pilot bearing, shifter seal, transmission mount, custom shifter housing, custom shift rod, and the bearing cover.

You will have to provide us a R154 transmission core out of a MK3 which are easily found around the net. Simply send us in the transmission and we will send a kit ready to bolt up into your vehicle.

We will be selling the kit without the clutch for $2199.

We will also be offering a clutch for this application.

We do not have it on the shelf yet but let us know if you would like to place an order.

Thanks

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
I'm somewhat disappointed as I was told, "oh don't worry, this will be MUCH more affordable than a 6spd", but this price is WAY too high for a kit that doesn't even privide the trans. Although, even with the trans I feel this is still way too much.
I'd rather spend the extra $1500 give or take and go 6spd.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Looking good! Waiting to see what kind of power people put down on these setups!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dj_Diablo said:
I'm somewhat disappointed as I was told, "oh don't worry, this will be MUCH more affordable than a 6spd", but this price is WAY too high for a kit that doesn't even privide the trans. Although, even with the trans I feel this is still way too much.

Good luck doing a complete 6 speed swap for that cheap...

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dj_Diablo said:

I can no longer find 6spd swaps... my last customer paid around 9k for all the parts new sans the transmission which was a rebuilt unit at $2800.

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
racing fan said:
I can no longer find 6spd swaps... my last customer paid around 9k for all the parts new sans the transmission which was a rebuilt unit at $2800.
This isnt an auto to 6spd swap.

I've seen 6spds going for 2500-ish and a local guy twisted his TT driveshaft and now got a stronger one custom made, so now they have the measurements and it's for a good price. The rest includes the rear end, axle, and misc things that I seem to see for-sale on quite a good basis. And I'm in no rush.

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
go look in the forsale section ANY decent tranny is 2k+

the rear end, 4k new good luck finding a whole pumpkin for a used one. half shafts, then shifter then clutch then driveshaft, slave cylinder... still more stuff im forgetting...

i priced it out, and this is the BEST BANG for your BUCK. you want somethings thats not going to break, this is for you.

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
so the customer sends an old r154 tranny core and BL sends him/her a rebuilt R154 (with stronger thrust washer, etc)?

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Dj_Diablo said:
This isnt an auto to 6spd swap.

I've seen 6spds going for 2500-ish and a local guy twisted his TT driveshaft and now got a stronger one custom made, so now they have the measurements and it's for a good price. The rest includes the rear end, axle, and misc things that I seem to see for-sale on quite a good basis. And I'm in no rush.
Sorry, but I think a reality check is needed.

Ok... so ~2500 for a transmission. How much is a rear end? ~1000+? Axle and driveshafts? 350-500? Clutch? ~500 minimum? Flywheel? ~300? 6spd Shifter? 50-100? Master cylinder, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, t/o bearing? If you want a nice clutch and flywheel you will be paying a hellva lot more.

You are not going to get it done for under 5 grand. I spent a helluva lot more than 5 grand because I used mostly new parts, and I was auto. Even if you're 5spd, if you do it right, the swap will still nickel and dime you to death. This kit is roughly 50% of the cost of a budget v160 swap.

·
NA-T Member
492 Posts
How does everyone include the rear end with the 6spd swap when trying to compare prices the the R-154 swap which doesnt include any of that? Lets add that $1000 rear end and the $300 worth of axles. Oh yeah, the $2199 doesn't include a clutch. Lets add another $600 for a decent clutch. Now were at $4100. Now you have $4100 into the project and you don't even have a transmission. Say another $400 for an R-154. Now we're up to $4500. Seems a little closer to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that BL has made products for us NA's in the past and continues to rasie the bar. But everyone saying the 6spd is more than double the cost of the R-514 swap needs to do some more comparing. Then again maybe I missed something as well, please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
11,217 Posts
$2200 + r154 + shipping + installing labor is very reasonable for an R154 swap. Most NA-T's won't break these things. Most NA-T's however will eventually break the w58.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
FWIW, I just swapped my 5 speed out to a 6 speed:

here's what I paid for good used parts:

Diff $1200
Axles: $400
misc hardware: $65 from dealer
Driveshaft: $200
tranny mount $140 new from dealer
tranny w/shifter/slave: $2400
Shift knob: $60 at the dealer
clutch $250
misc other stuff (inspection covers, shifter fork, etc): $200

add that up....: just about $5k!

Anyone wanting my old 5MT setup.... I'm selling it, nope it's not a R154, it's a W58, but it's complete with EVERYTHING.

If you are going from an auto to a MT setup (r154) I forget, but what is the ratio of the diff between the cars? I'd also wonder (again about the diff and doing the swap) if you are running 500+ thru the MT (r154/v160/w58..... etc) and you are running the NA stock OPEN diff.... you won't be happy will you...?

The diff should be upgraded with at least a LSD and the gearing needs to be considered as well.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
i think i could go 6 speed.. run the stock na rear end with trd lsd and a custom driveshaft for a decent price

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
chidoks said:
i think i could go 6 speed.. run the stock na rear end with trd lsd and a custom driveshaft for a decent price
ask anyone whos done it, 6 speed with na rear end sucks the big floppy donkey dick.

you do not have to do the diff, your bitching about the diff this diff that. well guess what unless your making a custom driveshaft for the v160 you cant use the na diff.

this comes with a driveshaft and everything to bolt directly up to the na diff. the auto TT TRD diffs are 800 brand new..... 800 < 1200 :scratch: if you want to do that. now if you have the v160 you better do the diff because youl be making a custom driveshaft to meet the diff na diff, and then throwing it away when you get the TT 6 speed diff.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
chidoks said:

except your ratios will suck for highway driving....

1 - 20 of 104 Posts