Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This year, I have plans to repaint my entire car. Car still has original factory 202 black paint. I took my car in for estimation and I was told that I cannot paint my car in single stage paint because all new paint come with clear coat. Is this true? I really want to repaint to factory single stage black without clear coat. Is there a place where i can purchase factory plain black? Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
Single stage is still widely available. The bodyshop probably just doesn't want to do it because its a bit cheaper (they make less off you) or they don't stock it.

Also, what is your reasoning to not wanting modern day basecoat/clearcoat paint? It is better in almost every way.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your input. I really like the single stage paint look. It's more like a "sterile" look. Idk if that makes sense. I think toyota single paint looks really black regardless of lighting condition. Almost looks like as if the paint is inherent in the metal. Hard to describe. In contrast, modern day paint, depending on lighting condition, doesn't give that pure black color. For example, my lamborghini lp550 is black and under certain lighting condition it has this brown haze to it, especially under bright sunlight. But my 20 years old supra paint doesn't give that brownish haze look under sun.
Anyways, so where can I purchase factory 202 black? I would like to purchase the paint and supply the body shop. Thanks

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Another thing to consider about modern paint options is that just because the lp550 black can look like it has brown haze doesn't mean all modern blacks do that. Somebody at Lamborghini picked the recipe for that color and consciously did that. Look at some other modern black cars and some are blacker and deeper than others....I can't tell you which since I don't track such info.

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,884 Posts
Also a lot of EPA regulations by today's standards so probably a water based paint vs urethane of the past.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I had my rear quarterpanels painted due to a trailer mishap (previous owner tried to back it into a trailer that was too narrow). The paint has noticeable brown haze.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Most black paint codes have some small amount of color ingredients that cause the certain cast tones that you notice. Some black has a couple drops of yellow, or green...etc. If you want a deep solid black color, you need to buy a black toner alone, not some black paint code with other colors sprinkled in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mean compared to your original paint? That is exactly what I'm dreading about spraying with clear coat. I've owned many black cars and all seem to have a haze under bright light.

I had my rear quarterpanels painted due to a trailer mishap (previous owner tried to back it into a trailer that was too narrow). The paint has noticeable brown haze.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I'm in the middle of repainting mine black. I hate the bronze/yellow cast. I'm spraying PPG base/clear and so I'm using straight black toner. My engine bay is done....and sitting next to my black HT, it's black as fuck! ;)

Edit: I used urethane single stage 202 black on my targa top 14-15 years ago when I had a mishap with it. I used single stage just because the entire rest of the car was still original paint and I wanted to stay with the "factory look". Today, right now, that paint still looks perfectly fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please excuse my ignorance, what is a straight black toner?

I'm in the middle of repainting mine black. I hate the bronze/yellow cast. I'm spraying PPG base/clear and so I'm using straight black toner. My engine bay is done....and sitting next to my black HT, it's black as fuck! ;)

Edit: I used urethane single stage 202 black on my targa top 14-15 years ago when I had a mishap with it. I used single stage just because the entire rest of the car was still original paint and I wanted to stay with the "factory look". Today, right now, that paint still looks perfectly fine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow that looks amazing! Where can I purchase urethane single stage 202?

·
Registered
319 Posts
When he says straight black toner, hes talking about all the toners a paint company has.
When mixing 202 black, it has multiple toners in it, such as some blue, some yellow etc.

Here's a better idea, go to the bodyshop that you are planning to get your work done by, and ask them to do a spray out card (basecoat/clearcoat) with the black toner alone, and not the 202 paint code.

I have my car resprayed and have no idea what the "hazing" you speak of is.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
"Straight" meaning no other color ingredients added at all... Meaning it's just 100% black (toner/color/basecoat)....not some mixed paint code.
It's all sold at your local Autobody paint distributor. Just gotta pick your brand and then call around to see who sells which brands.

But a bodyshop may not be so willing to just spray what you bring. Doesn't typically work that way. Their workers shoot whatever the bodyshop uses. So I wouldn't buy shit yet. I'm doing this because I used to paint and now I'm doing my own car in my own home garage.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the explanation. I will take the advice and go back to body shop and have them do a spray out sample card with black toner alone.
Also, blkturbo, good point, I better check with body shop before purchasing my own paint :)
Thank you members for good wealth of information!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yea the straight black will just be dark, natural black (my pic) while most paint codes will have other drops of color in them and will give off a "cast" (like the famous bronze look of 202 for example)

·
Smith & Wesson Member
600 Posts
202 - Toyota/Lexus has about five different variant shades, including the current two stage color.

My friend (35+ years of painting) has "exactly" matched the single stage color, with using the two stage process.

Yes, I know there's difference - My wifes TRD Pro is the current 202 color (same as the Lexus color).

He's painted parts for both vehicle - Upgrades.

I would go with the two stage process.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You mean compared to your original paint? That is exactly what I'm dreading about spraying with clear coat. I've owned many black cars and all seem to have a haze under bright light.
Yessir, as compared to my original paint- it's obvious in the sun.

Some great advice in this thread- I'll have to get mine repainted at some point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts