Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 and I was toolin around today and decided to try and find out what the black box under the passanger seat was. Took it out and unplugged all the stuff and still couldn't find out what it was or what it did. Haven't really dug into it that deep just lookin for a quick answer...

·
boosted for life
103 Posts
Its a bomb get rid of it lol I dont have a clue.

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's not an amp...I unplugged it and the radio turned on...maybe I should get pics??

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I have a cord under my passanger seat that says "AMP". Did the MKIII come with some sort of stock AMP?

Reactions: toyota_supra_1988

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Only thing that came stock under the passenger seat was the amp, could be an aftermarket alarm setup.

SupraOfDoom, we talked on AIM, I'm not sure what is up with that yet, could have been aftermarket as well since it was in an 87, or someone swapped the wiring in, you never know if they put the stock stereo back in before selling it to you.

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got pics of it what's a good place to use to post pics...i've never done it before...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Definitely the stock amp.
im the second owner of my 91 supra and the previous guy said he didnt change a thing on the supra but when i replaced the stock amp it was silver. :dunno:

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why did the radio work if I unplugged everything and took it out?Still sounded the same and everything too

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
sure looks like an amp but i could be wrong. not sure why your radio still sounds the same. Maybe the amp has never worked?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Likely you don't have a stereo that uses the amp.

The connectors on it are for the stereo, There are 10 pin, 6 pin, and 15 pin connectors on it, and they are the connectors for the amp. It's likely that the head unit has an internal amp, and someone accidentally plugged the wiring into the head instead of the amp extension wire. (Some Toyota heads have the 10 and 6 pin connectors as well, and if you're using an external amp you're supposed to plug the 10 and 6 into the amp and the 15 into the head, if the 10 and 6 are plugged into the head and the amp is unplugged it won't make a difference, I'm guessing that car has a Toyota head which has the 10, 6, and 15 pin connectors, and someone plugged it in wrong.)

That's a Toyota external amp.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ya its an amp and if you change the stock stero it bypasses it I guess the same thing happend to me.

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea cuz I just put a different head unit in, but even before I did that it had an alpine in it. Guess it's really there for no reason then?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
hornet7288 said:
yea cuz I just put a different head unit in, but even before I did that it had an alpine in it. Guess it's really there for no reason then?
Not without a head unit that uses it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts