Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone painted their shiny intercooler flat black? I would expect to see efficency go up if it were done.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
how would painting your intercooler increase efficiency? :confused: :confused:

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
Black absorbs more heat man.... I don't think it would keep it cool.... but I'm no scientist.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Schmleff said:
Anyone painted their shiny intercooler flat black? I would expect to see efficency go up if it were done.
i feel dumber now....

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The color or absence of color known as black does not absorb more heat. It absorbs all of the light which in turn gives heat from the absorption of the light energy. In no way will any color absorb heat energy more efficiently. Learn your basic physics... :rolleyes:

Painting an intercooler may well do the opposite and actually lower the efficiency of the intercooler. Why do you ask that I said this? Well a layer of paint adds one more medium the heat has to travel thru to get to the metal. It could very well act like an insulator and slow down its travel. I would think the coefficient of heat for a layer of paint is much less than the coefficient of heat for a piece of aluminum / the type of metal that the intercooler is made out of.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,086 Posts
Yeah, and if anything... wrapping the tank of the intercooler would be more beneficial. (obviously not the fins) & (Wrap the IC pipes)

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can definitely say i gained at least 1 - 2 thousand more hp from painting my intercooler white. It reflects light better :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about dem F&F stickers yo?

Don't forget that adding a "Nos" brand sticker to your car gives 25 hp.

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
MK3Brent said:
Hey... if stickers work... lol
...It's not just stickers...brake disc simulators are like 20 fake chromes are a good 10 and every inch the wing is ove the roof is 15:D

Cant forget tire flys..sicne they are on the wheels they are like instant horsepower:p

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
Actually a black object will not only get hotter faster, but get cooler faster as well, so a black intercooler would work. Why do you think the TOYOTA intercooler is black? I'm not sure how well the paint would transfer heat, or hold up to the stress, though. A black thermal disspersant coating would be much better because the media is designed for heat transfer.

BTW, for those that don't believe, a little experiment will help:
-Fill a polished container and flat black container with hot water.
-measure both temps
-put both in the freezer
-measure both temps again, the black one WILL be cooler sooner

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
I too have been thinking about getting my new HorsepowerFreaks.com intercooler coated with a black thermal dispersant coating. Chris Jensen had his HKS intercooler coated after doing quite a bit of research... he is the "Anal Engineer Type" afterall. :)

I wanted to coat my IC black so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. When I come up behind people now... the first thing they see is the IC - especially after cutting the fins out of the stock nose.

KeithH
89T

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heat transfer is rudimentary physics so that was really not up for debate.

I was just wondering if anyone here had painted the shiny one black.

I was looking for some measured results. I am thinking about taking mine off and painting it black.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mattsson3 said:
Your IC is cooled by the air flow, god idea to ad an extra layer that prevents just that...
You don't get it. Look into radiant heat transfer.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
MK3Brent said:
No. Stocker is already black :p
Yeah, and if you put paint stripper on it, it'll be bright aluminum. Toyota painted them for a reason, my feeling is it was painted to prevent oxydation, same thing with the saw blade wheels.

On a side note, I saw where the new Mitsubishi Evolutions come stock with an I/C water mister on a timer, and also has a manual over-ride button. Pretty cool idea.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thread starter = :dumbass:

as kmckiness said at the start of this thread, it's simple physics. The only thing you'll gain by painting an I/C is reducing it's thermal efficency by introducing an insulator (the paint, doesn't matter if it's black or pink :p)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.