Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
black smoke is fuel, better then running to lean, i'm not sure that is normal for mk4's though....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i blow black smoke out also, but its because my a/f is really rich....like said above...much better than running lean

·
1000hp thanks to SP
598 Posts
yep, its rich, tune it. Even though its better than being lean, its not great for the car. Plus, dont you want more power and better spool?:)

Greg

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I figured you guys would say it was because it was rich, but my car actually runs very lean. Close to 13.00..... I know that's definetly not good for it, and I don't drive it hard at all to find out if a 13.00 a/f will kill an engine, but is there anything else that could be causing the smoke or is a 13 a/f still rich enough to cause black smoke?

R

·
0 Posts
If your getting that 13.0 off the stock narrowband sensor..I doubt it's right..

N

·
0 Posts
well if you have an fjo you prob have seen to it that your plugs are good ...right? What are you tuning fuel with?

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
maybe you need to clean your throttle body

i was discussing this with a friend and i think chevron puts out a TB cleaner. well he said he used it (and a fuel system cleaner) and got puffs of black smoke initially b/c the TB was so dirty and it was due to burning off deposits.

i dont know how true this is, but hey, maybe those cleaners couldn't hurt?

·
boostin'
122 Posts
Midnight Hour said:
Actually, I figured you guys would say it was because it was rich, but my car actually runs very lean. Close to 13.00..... I know that's definetly not good for it, and I don't drive it hard at all to find out if a 13.00 a/f will kill an engine, but is there anything else that could be causing the smoke or is a 13 a/f still rich enough to cause black smoke?
well, if you're getting black smoke right when boost hits, what is your a/f right then? Is your 13.0 a/f at the top end or across the board? Because I would think that even if you're running leaner up top, once the turbo hits in the midrange--if it's a rich spot--you could see black smoke just for that instant..
And/or you could be blowing off carbon desposits from the motor. If that's the case, what is your oil consumption like? If it's slightly above normal, oil deposits/carbon build-up from on tops of the pistons could be blowing out, which could also look dark.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vader M3 said:
And/or you could be blowing off carbon desposits from the motor. If that's the case, what is your oil consumption like? If it's slightly above normal, oil deposits/carbon build-up from on tops of the pistons could be blowing out, which could also look dark.
As a matter of fact, if I pull into my carport backwards, and my exhaust is facing the wall, I can spray some black shit on the wall. That could definetly be my problem. What would cause that? The short-block has about 13k miles on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts