Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*mods I wanted to cross post this here since lots of the technically adept guys post in here, please move or delete if inappropriate.

I'm having some very black smoke during idle and lots of black smoke during WOT and partial throttle. It was literally fine one day, park the car for about a week and I start it up and smoke starts right away. Drove around a little bit and it never really changed or went away. It runs OK, maybe a little more "sputtery" on idle but it kind of comes and goes and idles fine most of the time. I threw a new set of NGK's in it and no real change(maybe a bit smoother during partial and WOT open throttle) but thats it. Just FYI, the idle and partial throttle have always been VERY rich(strong gas smell etc when at cruising speed).
*another note, the car has run great for weeks(although rich at idle, but never billowing black smoke like now)
Any ideas??
Thanks a lot!
Mark

Basic setup:
-AEM EMS
-Greddy T-78 Turbo kit
-850 injectors

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
markh1121 said:
*mods I wanted to cross post this here since lots of the technically adept guys post in here, please move or delete if inappropriate.

I'm having some very black smoke during idle and lots of black smoke during WOT and partial throttle. It was literally fine one day, park the car for about a week and I start it up and smoke starts right away. Drove around a little bit and it never really changed or went away. It runs OK, maybe a little more "sputtery" on idle but it kind of comes and goes and idles fine most of the time. I threw a new set of NGK's in it and no real change(maybe a bit smoother during partial and WOT open throttle) but thats it. Just FYI, the idle and partial throttle have always been VERY rich(strong gas smell etc when at cruising speed).
*another note, the car has run great for weeks(although rich at idle, but never billowing black smoke like now)
Any ideas??
Thanks a lot!
Mark

Basic setup:
-AEM EMS
-Greddy T-78 Turbo kit
-850 injectors

What is your a/f gauge showing you during these conditions?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
if your running o2 FB and your sensor is saying lean your AEM will try to get it to read whatever AFR is setup in your map. So like larry said what's your wideband reading?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sound Performance said:
What is your a/f gauge showing you during these conditions?
I have a wideband but it's not hooked up as of yet. So, yes that is a HUGE priority that I'm getting hooked up ASAP. I guess I'm hoping for some odd reason it's just dumping tons of fuel for no reason. And again, just to clarify the car was running great before. I had it recently tuned, made great power(but still rich at idle and partial since we basically ran out of time to tune that)
Thanks.
Mark
I'll post more into when the wideband is up and running.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well now for more weirdness...

The problem went away this morning when I fired up the car. It's back to running well, just like it had been for several weeks before. So...any ideas on what may have caused it? Bad grounding to the ECU, bad grounding to some sensor?? I'm boggled by it myself. Can my AEM box just be screwed or something?
Thanks for any info!!
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts