Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever since i bought my mkii the black plastic trim around the windows and dours has been coming off. i'm either going to rub it down with some steelwool and paint it black or do you know if it is better to just sand it with the steelwool and then polish the chrome underneath?
any comments welcome.

gammbino

H

·
0 Posts
Are you talkin' about this trim?

If ya are, I too am interested in how to clean it up a bit :)

S

·
0 Posts
you can buy them from toyota

Toyota has this part still in stock, I know because i just ordered them for myself, about $130.00 for each. the rear ones are $180.00 (ouch)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thats the stuff i'm talkin about. $180 not even worth it seeing as i spent a whole 1500 on the entire car. i'd rather just figure out how to clean it up myself. by the way way you at in indiana hipnotic ... go hoosiers:D

H

·
0 Posts
gammbino said:
thats the stuff i'm talkin about. $180 not even worth it seeing as i spent a whole 1500 on the entire car. i'd rather just figure out how to clean it up myself. by the way way you at in indiana hipnotic ... go hoosiers:D
I live in Indianapolis, Marion county to be more specific. IU is whoopin' it up in basketball (though, I don't follow it much :))

R

·
0 Posts
The plastic let go on my trim some time ago. I removed that remaining,
cleaned and lightly sanded the trim. Upon masking, I sprayed the parts
using Plasticote Polyurethane Satin Black Enamel. I found this matches
the plastic coating in color and sheen. . . provided the plastic is properly
treated.

M

·
0 Posts
I did the same thing Rol did. Unless you have a near show car like Silver MkII or something, I dont (personally) see the great need to replace the plastic. Scrape off whats left of it, prep the surface, then paint it black. You'll never have to worry about the plastic again :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts