Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, last month, Blackie turned 25-years of age. When she turned 20, a buddy of mine suggested I do a retrospective, kinda, sorta on SF. I told him I would, but never got around to it for a number of reasons. Five years on, in the midst of all the discussion about the MKV Supra, my friend reminded me of our discussion 5-years ago. This time, I decided I would make a good faith attempt to make it happen and, so, here we are.

Those aware of my reluctance regarding threads concerning Blackie know that I almost never take pics of my cars, probably solely because I have been, and continue to be, one of the world’s worst at taking pics. The other reason is that I have owned Blackie since new (1994), long before build threads and the like were a gleam in anybody’s eye.

The pics you will view in this thread are not new. Many of them are in other threads, but some no longer appear because the photographer was thrashed by photobucket, is no longer an active member or both. That said, I am hoping this thread depicts somewhat the evolution she has gone through over the years.

Blackie’s body was bone stock for about 5-years and here are a few pics taken at the inaugural SILV1997 Show ‘n Shine. Thirty (30) cars were there, including 18 MKIVs and 12 MKIIIs. That’s Guilly’s (T66Dawg) black/tan MKIV parked next to Blackie all those years ago:

The car had Manaray MS-6 forged wheels, 18 x 8.5, front, and 18 x 10, rear, and a GReddy SP exhaust, the second of several I have had on the car over the years. Incidentally, I won the first ever SILV dyno event with a whopping 405 whp, beating Saad Saad by 2 whp .

In 1999 or very early 2000, I installed my first body kit on Blackie, comprised of Stillen polyurethane side skirts and a Bomex fiberglass front lip spoiler. This was done after the car spent most of 1998 under the knife installing my first custom twin-turbo upgrade. The car had a built 3L, custom GReddy TD05 16G turbos, a Top Secret tubular manifold, the HKS alphabet soup and GReddy Rebic III/Simulator engine management (controlling secondary fuel rail). Here's an old pic of my glove compartment containing my HKS and GReddy engine management system:

The car made its first appearance in Turbo magazine in this guise in December 2000 and this is the photo taken from the article titled SupraPEFORMER:

I had been “negotiating” with Turbo Magazine ever since SILV1999 and its subsequent annual “Supra Stars” issue. Before this article, Turbo editors took the word of the owners of featured vehicles as to the power their cars made. A couple of “1,000 hp” turbocharged Panteras had recently been featured and it was clear from their set-ups that neither car could produce anywhere near 1,000 hp as described.

As a result, I resisted Turbo’s entreaties until it agreed to dyno my car as part of the planned feature. That issue of Turbo marked the first time the magazine had dynoed a feature car. Subsequently, dynoing feature vehicles became standard practice for Turbo, essentially requiring other serious import performance-oriented magazines to follow suit. With my first APU set-up, the car, on 92-octane pump gas, made 666 whp and 551 rwt at 25 psi.

GReddy USA had told my engine builder (SP Engineering) and me that the two turbos I had purchased were good for 800 whp. When we loaded the car on the dyno, we had high expectations. Unfortunately, things didn’t go our way and, at 577 whp, both turbos crapped out and, in an instant, I had my first NA MKIV. This happened right before my first dyno appointment with Turbo which was, necessarily, canceled as a result.

Through some serious overnighting of parts from Japan, we were able to acquire two new GReddy TD06 L2 20G turbos to replace the blown TD05s. These new turbos were the ones that put down the devilish (666 whp) for the December 2000 edition of Turbo. That set-up went on to produce 789 whp to gain to4r.com membership and, ultimately, 801 whp all in. This is what my engine compartment looked like with the GReddy TD06 set-up:

Although I do not recall the specific timeframe, sometime shortly after my first Turbo Magazine article, I purchased my first set of Work Meister S2Rs in silver. I was unable to find any pics of the car with these wheels. That said, when Nils Leufven, founder of to4r.com, and I participated in the G-games on behalf of Turbo Magazine, she had the Silver Meisters on at the time of the event.

B.F. Goodrich, the sponsor of the G-games event, had its personnel to handle switching all the tires off the cars and swapping in its new BFG street fighter tires. During this time, all four of my Meisters were scratched by BFG personnel. I complained loudly and Turbo Magazine acquired a brand new set free of charge to yours truly. For reasons I do not recall, I had these wheels painted/powder coated (I forget which) black. Thanks to SupraHKSx, I was able to recover a few to4r.com pics from the wayback machine. This is what Blackie looked like on to4r.com with the black Work Meister S2Rs:

In 2003, I made the decision to purchase the Do-Luck Late Model body kit, along with the Do-Luck Early Model rear overfenders. It is not a decision that I regret, but knowing what I know now, as opposed to what I knew then (not terribly much), I would, likely, not make the same decision I made 16-years ago.

After 10-months of hard work (Kingerm’s other worldly Ridox beauty was in the same shop at the same time), and annoying nitpicking by yours truly, the car debuted at the 2003 SEMA show:

During the time the car was being worked on, I had many email communications with Mr. Itoh of Do-Luck-Japan, as the company car was black like mine and used the same Work Meister S2R wheels with which I had replaced my Manaray MS-6s. Because my wheels had a stock body offset, though compatible with my Brembos, they would not hope to fit the Do-Luck kit with the front blister fenders and rear overfenders. Mr. Itoh was very helpful in coordinating with me and the Work Wheels distributor I was working with at the time. The pic below at SP Engineering was not long after everything had come together for me:

After topping out at 801 whp with my second GReddy-based big twins, I had every intention of leaving well enough alone and just enjoy the car after all the changes that had been made over the years. Fate had a different idea, however.

Alex Shen of SP Engineering had ordered the very first HKS 3.4L stroker kit for the infamous SPE Supra 7. By time the kit actually arrived, a bit over a year later, work on the Supra 7s built 3L had been finished and Alex had moved on and was looking to sell the kit to benefit the business rather than install it in a company-owned vehicle.

The long and short of it is, after about two weeks from the time he initially broached the subject with me, I decided to buy the stroker and have it installed in Blackie:

It took six weeks from start to finish to build and install the HKS stroker, including the custom stuff. I was in heaven, because virtually everything in my GReddy big twins, except the turbos, manifold and wastegate was custom and took the better part of 1998 to complete. The HKS stuff, by comparison, was virtually a bolt-on kit from my perspective. Here is a pic of the new motor not too far removed from being reinstalled in the car:

Being the HKS freak that I am, and taking care to not go “too small” on the turbos (which Alex never ceased to remind me), we selected two HKS GT3240s which have an A/R of 0.87. When finished, the new set-up looked like this (and still does):

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now, with this new set-up, I never set out to make 1,000 whp. I know that strains credulity, but hear me out. I knew more power than the previous GReddy set-up was in the offing, but I did not spend any time thinking about what power the car would ultimately produce. Weird, I know, but I was working 55-60-hour weeks at the time and was engaged in a 24/7/365 death struggle with surrounding communities as we competed for new business. I had decided disadvantages and had to make up for it with effort, ingenuity and the quickest, most efficient development processing systems in the region.

Anyway, we got an inkling that something special was up when we started breaking in the motor on the dyno using the “Motoman” method. At 14.5 psi, the motor was already producing 600 whp. By the time we were finished, the car had made 1,076 whp, the first street Supra in America to do so, and made the November 2004 cover of Turbo Magazine.

After the car’s power numbers became common knowledge, I was invited by Keith Hart to participate in the SILV2004 “Crazy 8” dyno competition. I do not remember all of the competitors, but I do remember Saad Saad, Ryan Woon and Marko as fellow participants. Each participant had 20-minutes to get in three runs. My first two runs were wasted because of crazy wheel spin. It probably would have ended that way, but Mark Conte, now of Real Street Performance fame, but just a young, very knowledgeable fan at the time, whispered in my ear and told me to try 5th gear. We promptly did this. The wheels still spun but caught just long enough to generate 1110 whp, taking first place and beating out Saad Saad by 10 whp. Here’s the long version vid of that event:

For the first three minutes or so of the vid, there’s a lot of discussion about what to do and background noise of the crowd waiting in anticipation. Although the car was idling on the dyno for my entire session, the final 1:15 of the video shows the actual dyno run that won the event for me. It doesn’t seem like it but that will be 15 years ago this coming Fall.

EDIT: Here is the short version of the above vid, taken from the perspective of the SILV videographer who was, himself, being videoed by a member of the audience. It gives a better perspective of the dyno crowd, the excitement surrounding the event and starts out with the dyno in process. It also shows a better view of the actual dyno graph, where the tires spun and when they caught on the rollers:

https://video.wixstatic.com/video/f6369a_31c792f6662f4240aac5278820a9de20/240p/mp4/file.mp4

In 2005, I was experimenting with Do-Luck-Japan on a new rear spoiler for my car. Things didn’t go as planned, as I could never wrap my head around the aesthetics. Anyway, the experimenting required removal of my rear spoiler on more than one occasion so, as a matter of convenience, I took it off until the experimenting was over. This is what she looked like wingless:

The observant will notice that, after three sets of my beloved Work Meister S2Rs, two stock body sets, and one Do-Luck-specific set, I purchased my first set of 19-inch wheels, the now discontinued Work VS-TX, sized 19 x 10 in front and 19 x 12s out back. These wheels remain on the car to this day although, from time to time, I have given thought to replacing them or powder coating them a different color.

Other than the Work VS-TX wheels, an ARC radiator and a PHR Gauge cluster, the car has been, essentially unchanged since it was completed in 2004. As such, most of the remaining pics show the car in as-is condition, though I occasionally get questions about how certain items have been treated or located given the work that has occurred over the years. The pics below are intended to answer some, though not all, of these questions because time marches on. What may have been considered different or unique in 2003 and 2004 may seem run-of-the-mill today.

A good example is my HKS Mini-Fuel Rail:

On the dyno for the November 2004 Turbo article, the car ran out of fuel at 1,031 whp at 2.18 bar. We had installed six 1,000 cc Denso injectors. In 2004, these injectors were considered huge. I don’t even know if other larger injectors were available, but it would not have mattered if they were. I only trusted the Densos, so we purchased the fuel rail, two additional Denso 1,000 cc injectors, finished the 1,076 whp dyno for Turbo and backed it up a short time later with the 1110 whp run at SILV2004. By contrast, Eau Rouge has 1,340 cc ID injectors for her built 3L motor PTE 6760H set-up. My, how times have changed .

Other changes made out of necessity (I have a 25” x 13” x 6” GReddy 5-row FMIC among other things) include a GReddy 16-row oil cooler, fabricating a new power steering cooler, a custom scoop to pull in cold air and direct it to my two Blitz intakes, twin mid pipes for my two GT3240s that merge into my HKS ti exhaust, battery relocation and the GPS for my PHR Gauge Cluster and my Clarion A/V system:

Oil cooler

Power steering cooler/custom scoop

Mid pipes V.1

Mid pipes V.2

Race Logic/HKS Mixture Controller:

PHR Gauge Cluster/Clarion A/V System GPS:

Battery Relocation:

Most of the remaining pics show Blackie at one event or another. Many of them may look familiar to you but, hopefully, this thread contains enough content and coherence to make easier for those interested in conducting more detailed research regarding Blackie.

2006:
The late, great Hugh MacInness wrote the first bible on turbocharging and HPBooks decided to do a sequel that was eventually titled, "STREET TURBOCHARGING, Design, Installation, and Tuning of High-Performance Turbocharger Systems". HPBooks hired Mark Warner, P.E., to do the heavy lifting. The idea was to feature 10-vehicles that possessed state-of-the-art street turbocharging systems. Warner found me (through SP Engineering) and asked me if I was willing to participate and serve, along with others, as unofficial editors. I agreed and, after completing a comprehensive questionnaire, my submission to Warner was 12-pages long, along with more than a few progress pics of my motor being built. Anyway, being one of ten included in the book was one of my most satisfying achievements in Blackie's 25-year history. The pic submitted to STREET TURBOCHARGING is shown below:

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
From the Winter of 2008:

Winter of 2010:
In the dead of the Great Recession, and with the help of SP Engineering, I decided to throw a party. Enter the SP Engineering Supra Appreciation Day. Blackie was featured on the back of the event T-shirt:

All Dressed Up for Supra Appreciation Day, February 5, 2010:

Blackie at her first ToyotaFest in 2010. That’s Guilly’s (T66Dawg) former black TRD wide body parked next to her and Guilly, half-way out of the pic, facing me and a mutual friend:

This pic shows my original four-gauge cluster affixed to the dash, my Momo “Race” steering wheel and my Top Secret quick disconnect. The side mounted gauge cluster has been replaced by my PHR gauge cluster, the quick disconnect has been removed and the Momo wheel replaced with a TRD wheel:

EDIT: I have added some pics of the TRD steering wheel and the PHR Gauge Cluster I did not know I had, as shown below:

The PHR Gauge Cluster enabled me to eliminate the four side-mounted GReddy gauges as shown in one of the pics above. PHR allows the purchaser to configure the Quad Gauge based upon the user's information needs. For my purposes, the Quad Gauge includes water temperature at nine o'clock, oil temperature at 12 o'clock, oil pressure at 3 o'clock and fuel level at 6 o'clock. Together with my "A" pillar-mounted GReddy fuel pressure gauge and 3-bar boost gauge, my information needs are pretty much covered for the most part. The remaining gauges are a 10,000 rpm tachometer and a 260 mph speedometer with GPS:

For years, a group of close SoCali Supra owners have gotten together at Starbucks on Saturday morning and talked about all things Supra for several hours. We call ourselves the Coffee Clatch Crew. I decided to have the Crew over to my home in 2011 and a great time was had by all:

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Of course, like many others here, I have American Modern collector car insurance on Blackie and my other Supras. These last pics, taken by yours truly, are the last four pics in this OP and were submitted, along with about 20 others and Blackie's Vehicle Specifications below, to support my agreed value recommendation:

Kenneth J. Henderson
Vehicle Owner

1994 Toyota Supra Twin-Turbo Sport Roof 6MT
AKA: “Blackie”

SP Engineering
Vehicle Builder
(www.sp-power.com)
(626) 333-5398

SPECIFICATIONS

Engine

- SP Engineering Custom Aluminum Intercooler Pipe Kit
- SP Engineering/ADF Custom Aluminum Intercooler Cover
- SP Engineering Custom Aluminum Intake Piping
- SP Engineering Custom Power Steering Cooler
- ARC JZA80 High Performance Aluminum Radiator
- Mishimoto 10-Inch Auxiliary Fan and Universal Fan Mount Kit
- Toyota Racing Development 160-Degree Thermostat
- TiTek Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
- Trust 16-Row Thermostatically-Controlled Oil Cooler with Oil Filter Relocation Kit
- HKS Type DLI Ignition Amplifier
- Blitz Racing SUS Air Filters x 2
- Earl’s Dual-Layer, Steel Braided Oil/Water Lines
- Earl’s Steel Braided/Teflon Fuel Lines
- Earl’s Accessories, Flame Guard, Fittings and Stainless Steel Hose Clamps
- Greddy JDM Five-Row Intercooler (25” x 13” x 6”)
- HKS GT3240 Dual Ball-Bearing Turbo x 2 (.87 A/R)
- HKS GT Tubular Equal-Length Exhaust Manifold x 2 (JetHot 2000 Ceramic Coated)
- HKS 50 mm GT Wastegate x 2 (1.6 Bar W/G Springs)
- GReddy Underdrive Pulley Kit
- GReddy Extreme Timing Belt
- Sound Performance Billet Timing Belt Tensioner
- ATI Crank Dampener/Pulley (SFI Approved)
- VeilSide Intake Manifold with Fuel Rail and 100 mm Throttle Body (Ceramic Coated Intake Runners)
- JUN/Toyota Adjustable Cam Gears, Intake and Exhaust
- HKS/SP Engineering Dual Downpipes (JetHot 2000 Ceramic Coated)/Custom Midpipes
- HKS 102mm Racing Titanium Exhaust
- Blitz Racing Dual-Drive Blow-Off Valve x 2
- Ferrea Stainless Steel Valves (Stock Size)
- Ferrea Dual Valve Springs
- Ferrea Titanium Retainers
- Ferrea Valve Seals, Guides, Locaters and Locks
- HKS 272-Degree Intake Cam
- HKS 272-Degree Exhaust Cam
- HKS 3.4L Stroker Kit (94 mm x 87 mm), Including HKS Forged, Balanced, Polished, Nickel-Plated, Long-Throw, Billet Crankshaft, HKS/Carrillo “H” Beam Forged Connecting
Rods, HKS Forged, Nickel-Plated, Ceramic Coated (piston skirts) 87 mm Pistons, HKS Piston Rings and Heavy Duty Wrist Pins, and HKS 1.6 mm “Stopper” Metal Head
Gasket.
- ARP Head Studs
- ARP Main Studs

Fuel/Engine Management:

- VeilSide High Performance Billet Fuel Rail (6 injectors)
- HKS Mini Fuel Rail (2 injectors)
- SP Engineering Custom Fuel System
- Denso 1000 cc Fuel Injectors x 8
- Toyota Racing Development Fuel Pressure Regulator
- HKS/Denso Fuel Pump x 2
- HKS F-CON V-Pro Engine Management System, V3.1
- HKS Dual-Bank, A/F Knock Amplifier
- HKS F-CON Mixture Controller

Interior/Electronics/In-car Entertainment:

- C’s Short Shift Kit
- SP Engineering Custom A-Pillar Gauge Holder
- HKS Turbo Timer/Harness
- HKS EVC-Pro Boost Controller
- HKS F-CON V-Pro Engine Management System, V3.1
- HKS Dual-Bank, A/F Knock Amplifier and Accessories
- PHR Gauge Cluster for 1993-1998 Toyota Supra, Including a 10K Tachometer, 260 MPH Speedometer and Quad Gauge Positioning with Oil Temperature at 12 o’clock, Oil
Pressure at 3 o’clock, Fuel Level at 6 o’clock and Water Temperature at 9 o’clock
- GReddy 3-Bar 60 mm Peak/Hold Boost Meter
- GReddy 60 mm Peak/Hold Fuel Pressure Gauge
- SP Engineering Dual 60 mm Gauge Pod
- SP Engineering Intercooler Temperature Meter
- SP Engineering/ADF Custom Aluminum Glove Box Plate
- Valentine One Radar/Laser Detector with Concealed Display Unit
- Sparco Milano I Black Leather Seats
- Leatherseats.com Black Leather Rear Seat Covers
- TRD Steering Wheel
- SP Engineering Custom Battery Relocation Kit (Rear Hatch)
- Clarion VX709 Double-Din DVD Multimedia Station with CeNET, 7-inch Touch Panel Control, Integrated Blue-Tooth Technology, MP3 and USB Direct-Connect IPod, Including
Movie-viewing Capability
- Clarion NAX980HD GPS Navigation System
- Clarion CK625E Rear Vision Camera Kit

Drivetrain:

- OS Giken (R4C) Quadruple-Disc Clutch
- SP Engineering-Spec Custom Flywheel Bolts
- OS Giken 1.5 Way Super Lock Limited Slip Differential
- Powerhouse Racing Stainless Steel Clutch Line
- ACPT 3.25-Inch, 11,000 RPM, Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
- Toyota Racing Development Motor Mounts
- Toyota Racing Development Heavy Duty Transmission Mount

Suspension/Brakes:

- Tein RA Circuit Master, 16-Way Adjustable, All-Aluminum Coil/Overs
- Toyota Racing Development Tower Brace (Front)
- Cusco Carbon Fiber Tower Brace (Rear)
- Do-Luck Rear Cross Brace
- Do-Luck Aluminum Floor Assist Bars
- Toyota Racing Development Anti-Roll Bars
- Brembo 6-Piston Monobloc Calipers, Front
- Brembo 4-Piston F50 Calipers, Rear
- Brembo 14-Inch x 1.3-Inch Vented and Cross-Drilled Two-Piece Rotors, Front and Rear
- Ferodo DS 2500 Brake Pads, Front and Rear
- Wilwood Brake Proportioning Valve
- OEM ‘97/’98 Brake Master Cylinder Upgrade
- Race Logic Adjustable Traction Control
- “Lance” Derived Performance Alignment
- Corner Balanced

Wheels/Tires:

- Custom, Three-Piece Work VS-TXs (19x10 F; 19x12 R)
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 275/30/19 F; Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 325/30/19 R

Exterior:

- Do-Luck “Late Model” Body Kit, Including Front Bumper Cover/Under Diffuser, Hood, Front Blister Fenders, Side Skirts, Rear Side Skirts, Rear Spoiler, Rear Under Diffuser
and “Early Model” Body Kit Rear Overfenders
- Do-Luck Aluminum Grille Mesh Inserts
- 1997/1998 OEM Headlamps and Turn Signals
- OEM JDM Front Side Marker Lights
- Lexus RX 350 High Intensity Discharge (HID) Lighting Retrofit
- Comprehensive Paint and Body Work, Including Removal of All Glass, Mouldings, Interior, Carpet, Motor and Installation of the Do-Luck Late Model Body Kit and Do-Luck
Early Model Overfenders

“Firsts”:

- First MKIV Supra in America with Custom, GReddy, Big Twin-Turbo Upgrade (1998)
- First MKIV Supra in America with Custom, Brembo, 4-Wheel, 4-Piston, 14-Inch, Big Brake Upgrade (1997)
- First MKIV Supra in America with Fluidyne High Performance Aluminum Radiator (Prototype; 1998)
- First MKIV in America with HKS F-CON V Pro EMS (2003)
- First MKIV Supra in America with Do-Luck “Late Model” Body Kit (2003)
- First MKIV Supra in America with HKS 3.4L Stroker Kit (2004)
- First MKIV Supra in America with Twin HKS GT3240 Turbochargers (2004)
- First MKIV street Supra in America to make over 1,000 whp on boost alone
- First MKIV Supra in America with OS Giken R4C Quadruple-Disc, Multi-Plate Clutch (2004)

Media:

- Import Tuner Magazine, October 2010
- Japanese Performance Magazine, July 2007
- Street Turbocharging: Design, Fabrication, Installation and
Tuning of High-Performance Street Turbocharging Systems
(Paperback) – HP Trade (Publisher) – Author: Mark Warner --
Available: June 6, 2006 from Amazon.com
- AutoSalon Magazine (Australia) – Issue #33, 2005
- AutoWeek Magazine, March 28, 2005
- Turbo Magazine (Cover), November, 2004
- Sport Compact Car Magazine, December, 2001
- Turbo Magazine, December, 2001
- Turbo Magazine, December, 2000
- Street Power Magazine (Cover), February, 1997

Awards:

- Winner, Dyno Challenge, Supras Invade Las Vegas--1997, 405 whp at 1.25 kg/cm^2 (92-octane)
- Winner, Crazy 8 Dyno Invitational, Supras Invade Las Vegas--2004, 1110 whp/839 lb-ft at 2.6 kg/cm^2 (C16)
- Highest Dyno: 1115 whp/840 lb-ft (C16); Location: SP Engineering
- Winner, Best MKIV Exterior, Modified, Supras Invade Las Vegas--2005
- Winner, Best MKIV Exterior, Modified, Supras Invade Las Vegas--2006
- Winner, Best MKIV Interior, Supras Invade Las Vegas--2006
- Winner, Best MKIV Engine, Supras Invade Las Vegas--2006
- Winner, Best MKIV Exterior, Modified, Supras Invade Las Vegas--2008
- Winner, Best Supra, JZA Series, 15th Annual All ToyotaFest—2010
- Rated 1 of 5 Greatest U.S.-Built Supras of All Time, October 2010 Edition of Import Tuner Magazine (only non-race car)
http://www.importtuner.com/features/impp_1010_5_greatest_toyota_supras/viewall.html
- Winner, Supra Spirit Award, Supras In Vegas 2013

New dash and PHR Gauge Cluster:

Those who know me well know that Blackie, in particular, is my psychiatrist. No matter how bad I’m feeling, if I go for a drive in Blackie, all is right with the world when I return. I hope you enjoyed the thread if you’ve come this far.

Peace,

Ken.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Original owner of a 1994...That says everything! I was running around in "grade school" when you were doing it big with the supra lol. Beautiful car, Ken. I'm sure a drive in this BEAST does help make bad days "better".

Adam

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Many good memories, my friend. Blackie is an icon.

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts
Incredible build even after all of these years.

Steve

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Great to see all these pictures in one location. I'm still seeing new stuff that I haven't seen before on Blackie, and I thought I've seen it all. This time it's the PHR gauge cluster, that looks slick!

The dyno video at SILV04 brings back memories, I spied myself in the video at 4:05 , right up front in the white shirt. The sound your car made during that 5th gear pull was unreal!

·
Inline for the win
4,690 Posts
Those who know me well know that Blackie, in particular, is my psychiatrist. No matter how bad I’m feeling, if I go for a drive in Blackie, all is right with the world when I return. I hope you enjoyed the thread if you’ve come this far.

Peace,

Ken.
I say this same thing about mine... No matter how crappy things are a quick drive will calm most if not all disruptions in my life... I don't even need to "lay" into it on a highway but that is the best part!

DP

·
Super Moderator
9,939 Posts
I remember reading Blackie's old T04R.com page for the first time, around 2000-2001 or so, and sitting in my seat with my jaw wide open just wondering what 789whp must have felt like.
Back then an honest to god street car making 375-400whp was spoken of with the reverence and respect we have now for a true 1000whp street car. The idea of a 789whp *anything* with air conditioning and a stereo just seemed so ridiculous and implausible... As if someone said their TT Lambo had 3000whp now. It just didn't seem real.

Blackie is why my own MK4 had to be 202 black. While some other truly epic builds have come since, Blackie will always and forever be the #1 JZA80 in my mind. I can't think of any other build from ~2004 that has aged as gracefully, Supra or otherwise.

Thank you, Ken, for taking the time to put this thread together. I'll never tire of seeing Blackie! :beer:

·
Very Senior Member
9,974 Posts
Awesome writeup Ken. As usual, the writeup matches the high quality of the work on the car!
So......a Cliff Notes version would be "basically a stock 1994" ???
J/K

435 Posts
Saw Blackie at the So-Cal meet a couple years ago. Was worth the trip just to see your car and talk with you! My eyes 👀 were huge when you popped the hood. I will never forget it!

Thanks for sharing the history. It was a fun read, and video!

Brian

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Such a great car. Thanks for the deep dive Ken! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 102 Posts