Supra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
It really is amazing on how fast time flies, and it goes by faster every year. You get to a certain age where events you swear took place just a couple of years ago, actually turn out to have come and gone more than a decade ago.

These cars have been a passion of yours for a long time, and this timeline is an amazing look back at your ideas and enthusiasm. There has been allot of names that have come and gone over the years here. The insight you've shared has always been helpful, and we are privileged to still have you in in this community.

Here's to spending many more years out on the roads with our "psychiatrists"!
"psychiatrist" part is % correct.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Ken, thank you for sharing. It was a great trip down memory lane as I had followed a lot of this throughout the years. Your car will always be an icon to the community and to Supra’s.

Casey
Casey,

My first thought this morning is that I knew you had commented in this thread, but I could not recall responding to your post. My apologies for that.

I remember when we first met at SIV and you had your little boy in tow. We had a conversation as though we were long time friends instead of new acquaintances. I am glad you will be continuing to keep the faith and finishing up that awesome car of yours. I read your thread on that topic and would have posted if virtually everyone else had not already recommended the proper course of action, IMO.

I appreciate your service to our country and look forward to the day when I can see that white beast go down the track.

Honestly, how can a few bits and bytes do the owner, his passion, and work justice? I haven't had the honor to meet Ken in person, but he has been so gracious to me personally throughout the years and it just speaks to his character as an individual. Remember that last word.

Certainly he is not the type to, but let me gas him up for the sake of it. He has literally SONNED most if not all JZA80 owners extant. Boys, let's take a look at the timeline and the BIG BOY SHXT that Ken and his support team(s) were carrying out. That 2000 Turbo Magazine cover is the A80 Supra version of a Lamborghini Countach poster. t04r.com cars were the cream of the Supra crop. Leaders of the pack. Trendsetters. Bar raisers.

This community has had somewhat of a myopic focus towards performance metrics; but to me, it's all about individuality and exclusivity. It's difficult to turn towards another build -inclusive of Asian and European builds- that can exemplify what I'm trying to express.

Ken can be confident that when he highlights this intricate detail or some other; that, the likelihood of another Supra having that part, setup, or fabrication is for all intents and purposes zero. As just a small example, look at that finishing panel between the front bumper upper retainer and radiator - think about the man-hours it took to fabricate. It takes vision and dedication to see through a living project such as this and to continually push the envelope and venture where many fear to.

Many brands nowadays have ambassadors. I nominate Ken Henderson as the official Global JZA80 Supra Ambassador. Not only for his accomplishments, but for the class and humility he has shown to us in his leadership role.

See you in 2044.

-Hung
Hung,

From time to time, I make reference to those I wish would post more and post more pics of their cars. Lagtime? Check. AmarInSocal? Check. Carchitect? Check. And, this guy, hungwin jza80. Have you guys seen his car? Prepare to be IMPRESSED....on multiple levels.

Hung, you speak of graciousness, but it is I who has been the beneficiary of your graciousness and generosity. Once a guy is a member of Modifiers Anonymous like you are, you gain a sense of what high-quality, durable and enduring modifications entail, both in terms of time and expense. As I noted earlier in this thread, my car was down for most of 1998 as a result of my first APU build. One of the reasons for the significant consumption of time was the all-custom nature of the build and the tin work, as exemplified by my all-aluminum cooling plate, custom piping/ducting and the custom air box shown in one of the earlier pics. (The shop that did this work for me was also slow as molasses, but that's a story for another day.)

I can't thank you enough for your very kind words. You have spoken from the heart, as have others, so I'll just express my gratitude and move on before I get all mushy again.

Looks like I'm quite late to the party.

Thanks for sharing, Ken. I've enjoyed the car, both up close and from afar. I think the current interior setup, with the fresh dash pad and reduced gauges, is my favorite variant. The Do-Luck full kit takes me back to the days when I was a fresh new owner. I remember drooling over that hood when I first saw it in person, and the engine bay was a point of inspiration when going down the rabbit hole with my own car. Always wanted to have something similar to 'that' level of wow factor, so I owe you a bit for the inspiration (my wallet does not feel the same way).

With the weather warming maybe we can get another "in front of the house" photoshoot to add to the collection. Happy boosting, my friend.
Speaking of Modifyer's Anonymous, herewith I present to you Michael (Baby Face) Davis, one of Modifyer's Anonymous' charter members. Several years ago, I included Mike's car in my promotion of that year's SIV event, including a link to his build thread (you've been warned :)).

I don't know how old Mike was when we first met, but he looked like he was 15. His car, Renaissance Red at the time, had the most amazing RR paint I had ever seen. His engine compartment was operating room clean, so right away I knew the kid was special. Nothing in our initial conversations steered me away from my initial impressions. OCD, meticulous, perfectionist, creative, cursed, you name it. Mike is all that, and more, and just a an all around (really) good guy.

Mike, I do plan on having another meeting of the Coffee Clatch Crew at my home so, rest assured, you will have every opportunity to bring MDSUPERSTAR, the car, since she was under the knife all those years ago when KH2K11 occurred. I think we need to meet at the McDonald's at the junction of the 15 and the 138 so you can debrief me on what just happened to the Purple and Gold. I'll be in touch, my friend.

It really is amazing on how fast time flies, and it goes by faster every year. You get to a certain age where events you swear took place just a couple of years ago, actually turn out to have come and gone more than a decade ago.

These cars have been a passion of yours for a long time, and this timeline is an amazing look back at your ideas and enthusiasm. There has been allot of names that have come and gone over the years here. The insight you've shared has always been helpful, and we are privileged to still have you in in this community.

Here's to spending many more years out on the roads with our "psychiatrists"!
Ryan,

Thank you for your compliments. You are so correct about time, seemingly, passing us by. In trying to collect my thoughts before starting this thread, I was continually amazed at how much time had passed from events that seemed like they occurred just a short time ago relatively speaking. And, it seems the older we get, the faster time goes by.

I very much appreciate your kind words. I cannot begin to describe what I have learned on SF over the years and from its incredible members. Nothing, IMO, builds knowledge like the ability to make power. Supraforums is chockful of highly intelligent and very knowledgeable owners of some incredible cars. Nothing accelerates the learning curve like generating a "measly" 600 whp (j/k about the measly part) and upwards of 1500 whp for the bat shit crazy guys, all from a mere 183 cubic inches. It's those members, their collective experiences, both good and bad, ably assisted by one of the all-time great engines that have created the very best street car go fast repository on the planet. I'm proud to be a part of this fraternity. It has been like no other.

"psychiatrist" part is % correct.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Truth!

Ken.

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
793 Posts
Thank you Ken and it has been my pleasure serving! I remember that day very well and has been a highlight of my Supra life experience and glad I got to share it with my oldest son. It was a day I finally got to shake hands of many others after years on this forum...Craig Bush, Steve Theodore, Mike, Cody Phillips(whom we just spoke last night about my car). This community is a rare breed of people, that’s for sure!

Casey

·
handy with the steel
390 Posts
Ken,

We met briefly last year at SIV and I mentioned that I had been following your car(s) ever since the Turbo Magazine G-Games article. Blackie is definitely a large part of the reason I own a Supra today. This car has had a massive influence on not only my view of Supras, but modified vehicles in general...she is a gleaming example of "doing it right". Thank you for taking the time to put together this history in such detail. It has been a joy to admire her from afar for all these years, and here's hoping for many more.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,449 Posts

·
NY56637
1,813 Posts
Logan,

Great question which has never been covered before to my knowledge. I won't bore you with the gory details, but my father was a Mopar guy, so I became a Mopar guy. My father let me "own" our VW Beetle after I got my driver's license and, then, I ran around in a slant 6 Plymouth Valiant. My first "real" car, in my eyes, was a black/black Plymouth Duster 340 4MT. It had a Crowley Cam, Jardine Headers, Ansen Mags and BFG's then new tire promoted to take on the Goodyear Eagle Polyglas. I thought I was fast but, looking back on it, I was fairly quick for the times, but not really fast if you know what I mean.

From the Duster, I purchased my first foreign car, a Lancia Beta Coupe 5MT, with a Fiat 1800 cc inline 4. Looking back on it, I don't know what I was thinking, going from a rwd car to a fwd vehicle. I know I was intrigued by the looks of the car, its true rarity, leather interior, sunroof, 4-wheel disc brakes and the like. I had a header installed on the car, along with sport lowering springs prototyped by Suspension Techniques (yes, one and the same) and an Ansa exhaust.

The problem was that, although this car had a reliable drive train, it began to break apart in every way imaginable. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was the Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electronics. One night, I was VERY fortunate to be in 5 mph bumper-to-bumper traffic and every light on the car went black, head lights tail lights, dash lights and brake lights from what I later learned. It was raining cats and dogs and (hope you're sitting down) the driver's wiper blade literally left the windshield and began "wiping" the driver's front fender.

I thought the car was haunted and could not get rid of it fast enough. My first BNIB auto purchase was a 1983 Celica Supra "P" Type 5MT. I loved that car. I loved it even more after Corky Bell helped me turbocharge it. At 11 psi (Corky only recommended a max of 9 psi), the car made 250 whp. Keep in mind this car weighed 3045-pounds, had a 4.10:1 ring and pinion and the 1984 C4 Corvette made a mighty 205 bhp. I never lost a race in that car. I might still have it, but it was stolen almost exactly 7 years to the day I purchased it.

After my experience with Italian cars, and subsequently, with German cars (several Audis, and two AMG cars, one mine and one I kept for my brother at the time), my problem-free experience with Toyota, even one never meant to be turbocharged, won me over. I used the insurance proceeds after my car was stolen to purchase a new MKIII Supra turbo, sport roof 5MT. After that, it, essentially, became one Supra after another and a few Lexi thrown in for good measure. So, here I am, looking backwards more than forwards in terms of cars that appeal to me, but focusing on having fun with the ones I own since I'm all full up anyway.

Ken.

I had always wondered if you just fell in love with the Supra platform or had owned other cars ultimately leading you to the Supra platform. Never would have thought you were a Mopar guy at one point but that makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice Supra....love how the look changed over the years. I love the Do-Luck kit you have on it.

Built inside and out!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am blown away. So much history with this car. Ken thank you. Blackie has been the inspiration for my build from day one. So many things this car has accomplished its mind blowing! Well done..... well done. Perfection!

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Sorry I've been a bit MIA of late. I've been raising money for our local Ronald McDonald House but I should have a bit of a respite after Sunday's Walk for Kids event.

Ken,

We met briefly last year at SIV and I mentioned that I had been following your car(s) ever since the Turbo Magazine G-Games article. Blackie is definitely a large part of the reason I own a Supra today. This car has had a massive influence on not only my view of Supras, but modified vehicles in general...she is a gleaming example of "doing it right". Thank you for taking the time to put together this history in such detail. It has been a joy to admire her from afar for all these years, and here's hoping for many more.
CDSaints,

I remember our brief contact at SIV, although I am not sure I made the connection with your car at the time. I remember seeing your car, and your posts on SF regarding your new wheel/tire combo. Your car looks really good, and I made a mental note to talk to the owner. I appreciate your kind words about Blackie. I've worked real hard and spent a lot of money, so I am glad you feel she's been "done right".

Ken thanks for sharing loved watching the car evolve over the years.
Appreciate the love Blakbird. If your car is the one I think it is, it sure would be nice to see more of it. If I'm right, I think your car may be one of the forums hidden treasures.

Awesome write up and great car!
Thanks, bud. I really like what you've done with your RSP. Looks like you have contracted SupraWillis' Wheels 'R Us disease. All of them look really good, although I may be partial to the Advans if I am remembering the gold 19s correctly.

Nice Supra....love how the look changed over the years. I love the Do-Luck kit you have on it.

Built inside and out!!!
Thanks, my friend. While there were/are a couple cars with the Do-Luck hood, I know of only one other genuine Do-Luck Late Model kit that came to the states when they were, generally, available. That could have changed because I stopped paying attention to this subtopic many years ago. Regardless, it's a fairly rare kit, and I'm happy that, despite the strong support of stock body cars by the Supra community, it has aged about as gracefully as one could have expected, or hoped for, in 2003 when all the work was done.

I am blown away. So much history with this car. Ken thank you. Blackie has been the inspiration for my build from day one. So many things this car has accomplished its mind blowing! Well done..... well done. Perfection!
Dexter,

Those words mean a LOT to me, coming from a person such as yourself and the owner of one of the most exquisite cars on SF. So well done and so balanced. Thank you for taking the time to go through this thread and offer up your observations after all these years. Hope you can make it out to SIV, my friend.

Ken.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow! Like everyone else has so perfectly stated, thank you so much for this write up Ken. Brings back so many memories for me when I first started meeting people from our community. From years ago meets at SP meeting you, Chip, August, and many other OG's to SILV in your dyno video. I still even have the SP-1073 shirt you gave me that day!! Good times!!

Regards,
Milo

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,072 Posts
I’m pretty sure everything has been said already, but if someone asked me what a fully modified supra should be, it would be Mr. Henderson’s Blackie. Maybe this year I can finally make it to SIV and see it once again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great read Ken, thanks for sharing :)

Life is def flying by and every now and then it's good to stop and look back at how you got here. Like others have said, his cars and enthusiasm for the supra have been and continue to be an inspiration to many. He is definitely a cornerstone of the supra community.

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Wow! Like everyone else has so perfectly stated, thank you so much for this write up Ken. Brings back so many memories for me when I first started meeting people from our community. From years ago meets at SP meeting you, Chip, August, and many other OG's to SILV in your dyno video. I still even have the SP-1073 shirt you gave me that day!! Good times!!

Regards,
Milo
Milo,

Good times, indeed. Thanks for your kind words and the short trip down memory lane. August Banks is a name I haven't heard in many years.

I’m pretty sure everything has been said already, but if someone asked me what a fully modified supra should be, it would be Mr. Henderson’s Blackie. Maybe this year I can finally make it to SIV and see it once again.
Mark,

I've always tried to take a comprehensive approach to modding, so as to maintain the excellent balance the car came with from the factory. More power, better cooling and brakes, chassis strengthening, the list goes on. It gets expensive but, if you succeed, the return on investment every time you get inside, turn the key and get out on the open road never stops. If Shant ever gets off his ass and arranges another meet before SIV, maybe we can connect then, black car to black car.

Great read Ken, thanks for sharing :)

Life is def flying by and every now and then it's good to stop and look back at how you got here. Like others have said, his cars and enthusiasm for the supra have been and continue to be an inspiration to many. He is definitely a cornerstone of the supra community.
Many thanks to the owner of one of my very favorite black cars. I very much appreciate the kind words.

Hah!, Ken your posts always remind me of good times good peeps and great cars, and that's only when you're not being super concise with the tech and info. Hopefully I will be back in the game once my kid gets older.
Brian,

As long as you have that beautiful red car of yours, you will always be in the game. Like the sons of a good number of my Supra friends, I'm sure your Supra DNA runs deep in your kid. Would be great to see you at SIV and have a NorCal presence this year.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
^^Emphasis on "way too long" :). I'll be waiting....

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
So, if you been through this thread, you know that the pics shown hail from many years ago. Several car guys from the community I live in have been working hard to institutionalize our local Cars & Coffee with mixed results. Anyway, I've been attempting to be supportive by bringing out my cars for this event, which occurs only once a month at present.

One of the organizers takes pics and vids and posts them on FB, trying to drum up additional support, so I thought I would post up some pics from 2019 he took of Blackie about a month or so ago. Enjoy:

I've had these first-generation Sparco Milanos since 2001 and before Sparco lost its way with rails, brackets and sliders. Great seats.

This pic is from 2006 and I've included it to give you guys a better perspective of the profile of the Do-Luck Late Model rear wing. From various vantage points, especially down low and directly from behind, the wing most definitely resembles a park bench. In person, the pic above provides a better view of the wing in proportion to the rest of the kit and the car as a whole:

Ken.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts