·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #103

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
While going through my records to flesh out and complete this thread: EAU ROUGE TODAY -- The Curse Has Been Lifted, I came across several old dyno sheets for Blackie that help provide additional perspective to the dyno videos I posted at the outset in post #2. I hope the backstory anecdotes provide more flavor as to what led up to my “Crazy 8” dyno victory at SILV2004.

As most of you know, my car was on the cover of the November 2004 edition of Turbo magazine. When we began dynoing for that issue, the car had only six 1,000 cc Denso fuel injectors, amongst the largest, reliable injectors available in 2004. Well, we ran out of fuel, with the car generating 1,031 whp at 2.18 bar. The 801.2 whp graph also shown was the highest number I had generated with my old big twins GReddy set-up and was included by SP Engineering for comparison purposes:

To fix my fueling problem, we added two additional 1,000 cc Denso injectors, as described elsewhere in this thread. The next two graphs show the final work done for the Turbo magazine article. Even though we topped out at 1,076 whp for the Turbo article, [email protected] Engineering elected to use the “smoother” graph of the 1,072.9 whp run for the article itself. I actually didn’t realize this until I received my courtesy copies from Turbo magazine:

In years past, SILV dyno competitions always seemed to include at least one or two cars that posted big numbers before the event, but did not back up those numbers before God and country at the event itself. Indeed, this happened to a couple of cars at the Crazy 8 dyno competition. This was my biggest fear since word of the Turbo magazine dyno runs had, naturally, spread like wildfire. So, two days or so before SILV2004, we put Blackie back on the dyno to make sure she was ready for the dyno competition. We only made two runs, one at 1,096 whp (could not find graph) and one at 1,091 whp shown below. We were ready.

At the event, and as described at the outset of this thread, we only had 20-minutes to get in three runs and Blackie failed on her first two runs because of tire spin. After deciding to dyno in fifth gear, we continued to experience tire spin, but the car caught early enough in the run to generate the winning number of 1110 whp (huge sigh of relief for being able to back up the Turbo magazine numbers). That graph is shown below, which also shows the tire spin problems we encountered:

Until next time.

Ken.

·
Boost Junkie
12,456 Posts
Any plans to update Blackie to E85 fuel system?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Any plans to update Blackie to E85 fuel system?

Steve
Steve,

I'm thinking very seriously about that, and I'm guessing it will likely happen. If I do this, I will probably change out the EMS as well. Driving her on E-85 would be a space shuttle ride, for sure. If/when it happens, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Ken.

·
97-6speed-TT
698 Posts
Steve,

I'm thinking very seriously about that, and I'm guessing it will likely happen. If I do this, I will probably change out the EMS as well. Driving her on E-85 would be a space shuttle ride, for sure. If/when it happens, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Ken.
Ken,

Say it isn't so! The HKS F-con V Pro has been a wonderful unit for you. Would it really be necessary to change to something different?

Dee

·
Boost Junkie
12,456 Posts
Ken,

Say it isn't so! The HKS F-con V Pro has been a wonderful unit for you. Would it really be necessary to change to something different?

Dee
F Con is early 2000s technology and doesn't have the ability to support flex fuel.

Steve

·
97-6speed-TT
698 Posts
F Con is early 2000s technology and doesn't have the ability to support flex fuel.

Steve
I suppose MoTec would be the logical choice then, because nothing but the best for Mr. Henderson!

·
Boost Junkie
12,456 Posts
I suppose MoTec would be the logical choice then, because nothing but the best for Mr. Henderson!
He has Syvecs on his other APU car.

STeve

101 - 110 of 110 Posts