·
Super Moderator
10,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #103

·
Super Moderator
10,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
While going through my records to flesh out and complete this thread: EAU ROUGE TODAY -- The Curse Has Been Lifted, I came across several old dyno sheets for Blackie that help provide additional perspective to the dyno videos I posted at the outset in post #2. I hope the backstory anecdotes provide more flavor as to what led up to my “Crazy 8” dyno victory at SILV2004.

As most of you know, my car was on the cover of the November 2004 edition of Turbo magazine. When we began dynoing for that issue, the car had only six 1,000 cc Denso fuel injectors, amongst the largest, reliable injectors available in 2004. Well, we ran out of fuel, with the car generating 1,031 whp at 2.18 bar. The 801.2 whp graph also shown was the highest number I had generated with my old big twins GReddy set-up and was included by SP Engineering for comparison purposes:

To fix my fueling problem, we added two additional 1,000 cc Denso injectors, as described elsewhere in this thread. The next two graphs show the final work done for the Turbo magazine article. Even though we topped out at 1,076 whp for the Turbo article, [email protected] Engineering elected to use the “smoother” graph of the 1,072.9 whp run for the article itself. I actually didn’t realize this until I received my courtesy copies from Turbo magazine:

In years past, SILV dyno competitions always seemed to include at least one or two cars that posted big numbers before the event, but did not back up those numbers before God and country at the event itself. Indeed, this happened to a couple of cars at the Crazy 8 dyno competition. This was my biggest fear since word of the Turbo magazine dyno runs had, naturally, spread like wildfire. So, two days or so before SILV2004, we put Blackie back on the dyno to make sure she was ready for the dyno competition. We only made two runs, one at 1,096 whp (could not find graph) and one at 1,091 whp shown below. We were ready.

At the event, and as described at the outset of this thread, we only had 20-minutes to get in three runs and Blackie failed on her first two runs because of tire spin. After deciding to dyno in fifth gear, we continued to experience tire spin, but the car caught early enough in the run to generate the winning number of 1110 whp (huge sigh of relief for being able to back up the Turbo magazine numbers). That graph is shown below, which also shows the tire spin problems we encountered:

Until next time.

Ken.

·
Boost Junkie
12,535 Posts
Any plans to update Blackie to E85 fuel system?

Steve

Reactions: mr2foryou

·
Super Moderator
10,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Any plans to update Blackie to E85 fuel system?

Steve
Steve,

I'm thinking very seriously about that, and I'm guessing it will likely happen. If I do this, I will probably change out the EMS as well. Driving her on E-85 would be a space shuttle ride, for sure. If/when it happens, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Ken.

·
97-6speed-TT
700 Posts
Steve,

I'm thinking very seriously about that, and I'm guessing it will likely happen. If I do this, I will probably change out the EMS as well. Driving her on E-85 would be a space shuttle ride, for sure. If/when it happens, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Ken.
Ken,

Say it isn't so! The HKS F-con V Pro has been a wonderful unit for you. Would it really be necessary to change to something different?

Dee

·
Boost Junkie
12,535 Posts
Ken,

Say it isn't so! The HKS F-con V Pro has been a wonderful unit for you. Would it really be necessary to change to something different?

Dee
F Con is early 2000s technology and doesn't have the ability to support flex fuel.

Steve

·
97-6speed-TT
700 Posts
F Con is early 2000s technology and doesn't have the ability to support flex fuel.

Steve
I suppose MoTec would be the logical choice then, because nothing but the best for Mr. Henderson!

·
Boost Junkie
12,535 Posts
I suppose MoTec would be the logical choice then, because nothing but the best for Mr. Henderson!
He has Syvecs on his other APU car.

STeve

·
Super Moderator
10,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Amazing....and owned since 1994....just wow. Stay in good health and keep up the good work.
Thanks, bud. Owning her for 25+ years even amazes me. By far, the longest I have owned a vehicle. Appreciate the kind words.

Ken, great stories my friend. I always love seeing Supra done right!
Seto, my dear friend!

I saw your post in Mark2JZ's thread and asked myself, could it be? Very glad you're stopping by SF for a little bit of time if not as often as before. Would love to see you in another MKIV since you owned one of my favorite MKIVs. Hope you and the family are safe and healthy. Don't be a stranger :).

Ken.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Seto, my dear friend!

I saw your post in Mark2JZ's thread and asked myself, could it be? Very glad you're stopping by SF for a little bit of time if not as often as before. Would love to see you in another MKIV since you owned one of my favorite MKIVs. Hope you and the family are safe and healthy. Don't be a stranger :).

Ken.
I have been lurking again. Suddenly, I feel the need of speed.. :)

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
@KenHenderson , my dear friend. It took you to bring me out of SF.com retirement and post on the forumst. Thanks for sending me the link and walking me down memory lane with all the pictures, acronyms, dyno numbers (for some reason OCD reason, I still had, in my head, the 1076 hp PRE SILV8 because you showed me and @Mark Conte the dyno chart behind your car in the hatchback before putting down the 1090 the next day), to4r.com, etc. It’s been a while since I’ve been here but it’s good to be back. Congrats on being a great representative fo this community and a fantastic build/car.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Beautiful car as always. I’m on my 4th Supra and holding onto this 96tt I bought from original owner with every stock part even though car itself is not stock now. 1 question I have is that I recently acquired the Greddy oil cooler/relocation kit but no instructions. Do you remember how this kit routes? Anything goes thank you

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wow!! Talk about a walk down memory lane. I was in jr. high when your car was featured in Turbo magazine with the do luck body kit. I was in love!!! I've been lurking on SF for the longest time and have been trying to purchase a 94 ht from a local guy in town for about a decade now. Lol. Glad you kept Blackie in beautiful shape. She is without a doubt, one of the great supra icons that helped catapult the Toyota Supra into super stardom.

·
Super Moderator
10,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Amazing....and owned since 1994....just wow. Stay in good health and keep up the good work.
Thanks, bud. Doing my best to get that "Stay in good health" part right. Appreciate the kind words.

@KenHenderson , my dear friend. It took you to bring me out of SF.com retirement and post on the forumst. Thanks for sending me the link and walking me down memory lane with all the pictures, acronyms, dyno numbers (for some reason OCD reason, I still had, in my head, the 1076 hp PRE SILV8 because you showed me and @Mark Conte the dyno chart behind your car in the hatchback before putting down the 1090 the next day), to4r.com, etc. It’s been a while since I’ve been here but it’s good to be back. Congrats on being a great representative fo this community and a fantastic build/car.
Olivier,

Welcome back, my friend. It's been a long time, far too long. Great memory from the conversations you and I had with Conte. I had forgotten I showed the both of you the 1076 whp dyno sheet. Even after all these years, there may be a MKIV Supra in your future so do make sure to stick around.

Beautiful car as always. I’m on my 4th Supra and holding onto this 96tt I bought from original owner with every stock part even though car itself is not stock now. 1 question I have is that I recently acquired the Greddy oil cooler/relocation kit but no instructions. Do you remember how this kit routes? Anything goes thank you
I’d also like to add ProEfi 128 is hands down an amazing standalone that can do everything Motec can do and half the blown up price in my opinion.
Sideways, thanks for the kind words. Sorry I did not get to this earlier, but my GReddy 16-row oil cooler was installed 17-years ago and I'm fairly certain that the location where it was installed by SP Engineering is not the location envisioned by GReddy for installation. In fact, I do not recall any instructions from GReddy but I may be mistaken in that regard due to the passage of time.

As to a replacement EMS for Blackie, I'd have to have a serious discussion with @alex@SPE about this topic. One of the reasons why I still have V.3.1 of the F-CON V Pro in the car is because the car drives so well in every respect, so spending a bunch of money when I really don't have to is an issue, since I've done enough of that in my 50+ years of modding cars.

Wow!! Talk about a walk down memory lane. I was in jr. high when your car was featured in Turbo magazine with the do luck body kit. I was in love!!! I've been lurking on SF for the longest time and have been trying to purchase a 94 ht from a local guy in town for about a decade now. Lol. Glad you kept Blackie in beautiful shape. She is without a doubt, one of the great supra icons that helped catapult the Toyota Supra into super stardom.
You're making me feel real old, my friend :). Glad Blackie has been an inspiration for you and others. Thanks for your kind words.

Ken.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts