Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1994 supra tt auto, i blew the motor this morning =\. looking to replace it with a aristo (because its a cheaper alternative). my budget is 3g max...

ibeen shopping on ebay and the prices varies a lot on the aristo motor..some come with vvti and some dont?... whcih ones does i buy? should i buy it with a tranny? or is it even worth it doing a jdm 6spd swap same time?

also my previouse owner hand wired a lot of eletronic to the interior harness.turbo timer... alarm etc.. and also the safc is hand wired to the ecu.... its very messy.. can i use the aristo harness to replace them?

what kind of stuff should i buy from curt to replace on the jdm motor? do i need any other parts to complete the swap? should i move some of my usdm stuff over to the jdm motor??... my turbo is pretty worn i think. but i have to look at it once the old engineis out.

any tip or help would be great.

here it is her being towed..

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. I just took the bottom end apart and I killed the rod bearing and bent the #6 rod. I am looking to go with aftermarket rods and pistons. It is probably going to run me around 2g's to do the bottom end and a little head work. Going with an Jdm longblock would definately be cost effective. I've seen some Aristo motors go for $1,800 or so. You should replace the normal stuff before swaping in the jdm motor like.
Front main seal
Rear main seal
Timing belt
Water pump
Timing belt idler
I'm sure there is more but I cant remember right now.

Good luck!!

Lawrence

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the same boat as you. I just took the bottom end apart and I killed the rod bearing and bent the #6 rod. I am looking to go with aftermarket rods and pistons. It is probably going to run me around 2g's to do the bottom end and a little head work. Going with an Jdm longblock would definately be cost effective. I've seen some Aristo motors go for $1,800 or so. You should replace the normal stuff before swaping in the jdm motor like.
Front main seal
Rear main seal
Timing belt
Water pump
Timing belt idler
I'm sure there is more but I cant remember right now.

Good luck!!

Lawrence
i will try to get a list of stuff from curt

·
Registered
697 Posts
Honestly your best bet is to look through the NA section, clubna-t.com, and some Lexus sites. This may or may not be the best route for you to take.

Here's just a couple of stickied threads to help confuse you more.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255935

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141

Basically, you're probably going to want to keep your US harness and ECU. The JDM harness is not long enough to accomodate a left hand drive US car unless the wiring is lengthened. You'll need some other things from your US spec motor, like the MAF, for it to run using the US air metering system versus the JDM motors method. Alternatively, you can keep the JDM MAP setup in place as long as you can get a computer to run it properly. Also, the JDM injectors are smaller and have an impedence difference. You'll want the US injectors off your current motor.

Both the JDM Aristo motors and JDM Supra motors have some differences, but if you can find a JDM engine that's been pulled from a Supra, it makes things easier. Don't hold your breath looking for one though. Since your in Cali, you should know that the JDM motors are not equipped with an EGR system. I don't know how much this is going to effect you, but it's worth mentioning. I'm also not entirely sure what the O2 sensor setup would be like if you were to use the JDM computer.

For the Aristo motor you will need your US motors oil pans and motor mounts. The Aristo motor's water pump setup is different and you'll need to swap that out if you are going to use your stock TT fan. You may have to swap it out even if you're using electric fans I don't know.

Then there will be modification needed to your downpipe in order to line up the smaller JDM turbochargers. The cams are different, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

That's the jist of it, but it's really worth reading the links I provided and talking to some NA owners that have done the swap.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Your cheapest option is the Aristo motor. Dont worry abount the differences because you have all of the usdm parts on your car now. Pull your engine out, buy an Aristo motor and swap your usdm turbo setup, intake, cams, oilpan, motor mounts, and water pump assembly onto the Aristo motor and put it back in the car. This is what I done. Its a good idea to pop a rod and a main cap off of the Aristo motor while the oilpan is off just to check the condition of the bearings. Dont mess with a different harness, its not worth the hassle.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
call me i can help you i had to do this once .(sent you a pm )

DO NOT GET A VVTI motor

also you will not need egr delet items since they dont use that so you save some money there !

you will need
-cams (you can use your stock ones )
-complet oil pan kit
-water pump (theres is hydro type)
-complet gasket kit(comes with 99% of all the gaskets you need)
-timing belt
-i suggest you rebuild your head at the same time if your looking for more power down the road ;)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly your best bet is to look through the NA section, clubna-t.com, and some Lexus sites. This may or may not be the best route for you to take.

Here's just a couple of stickied threads to help confuse you more.

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255935

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141

Basically, you're probably going to want to keep your US harness and ECU. The JDM harness is not long enough to accomodate a left hand drive US car unless the wiring is lengthened. You'll need some other things from your US spec motor, like the MAF, for it to run using the US air metering system versus the JDM motors method. Alternatively, you can keep the JDM MAP setup in place as long as you can get a computer to run it properly. Also, the JDM injectors are smaller and have an impedence difference. You'll want the US injectors off your current motor.

Both the JDM Aristo motors and JDM Supra motors have some differences, but if you can find a JDM engine that's been pulled from a Supra, it makes things easier. Don't hold your breath looking for one though. Since your in Cali, you should know that the JDM motors are not equipped with an EGR system. I don't know how much this is going to effect you, but it's worth mentioning. I'm also not entirely sure what the O2 sensor setup would be like if you were to use the JDM computer.

For the Aristo motor you will need your US motors oil pans and motor mounts. The Aristo motor's water pump setup is different and you'll need to swap that out if you are going to use your stock TT fan. You may have to swap it out even if you're using electric fans I don't know.

Then there will be modification needed to your downpipe in order to line up the smaller JDM turbochargers. The cams are different, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

That's the jist of it, but it's really worth reading the links I provided and talking to some NA owners that have done the swap.

wow i thought swaping a TT to jdm areisto would be easier then NA, guess its still lot of hassel.

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
to be honest i think if you do the labor yourself it should be cheaper to fix the motor you have now assuming you dont have a HUGE problem.

I have an N/A which is slightly less complicated, but I blew a hole in my #2 piston running nitrous. I tore the whole motor down and rebuilt it for under $1000. I replaced the pistons, rings, crank bearings, gaskets, seals and had the block machined.

It really depends on whats wrong with it, all im saying is it might be cheaper just to rebuild what you have

edit: and its still running strong with ~50k on the rebuild

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
JDM aristo 2jz's have a front sump oil pan. I don't know if that's going to be a problem in a MKIV swap.

Also, I got a JDM aristo motor recently for a descent price but with 6 months warranty. Let me know if you need the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts