Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, before someone tells me to search, I did. All I could find are "what are the best boost controllers" or "Help me with installation".

Anyways, I got the Blitz SBC-iD and from what I know, its one of the best around. There are 2 options on the boost controller, one of them we "twin turbo" people can't use which is the "auto" function. So basically the only function we have is the "manual" setting. I cannot control boost what so ever. I set my "set" boost to 25 and here are my results with that:
1st-12.3psi
2nd-15.0psi
3rd-16.8psi
4th-17.8psi
5th-18.5psi

Now this is driving me nuts and I wish I had just gone with the MBC and WG spring mod.

Anybody know what to do to allow 18psi is every gear? I KNOW THE MORE LOAD ON THE UPPER GEARS IS WHATS CAUSING THE HIGHER PSI. I READ A THREAD ABOUT THIS BEFORE. But what are your "gain" settings? I also noticed that my TTC does not kick in very hard when setting my GAIN. If you could please help me out to get somewhere close to 18psi in all gears I would appreciate it! Thanks!

I basically just tried to see if the "auto" function would work, but it didnt. IT DID GIVE ME close to 18psi 1st, and 2nd. BUT it kept hitting 20psi in 3rd and I didn't even TRY 4th gear. This is gay, I am losing power and I am not getting a constant 18psi. help!!!! chime!!!! something!!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
have you tried the manual setting?
when you set the boost level to 25, was that auto or manual?
auto mode will work fine to just get the boost controller to get to a certain amount of boost but it'll generally go over in the higher gears as you've stated.
in auto mode, the settings are in PSI.
forget about auto mode all together if you're on stock twins and want to set a solid boost level.
the manual settings are where it's at.
with your gain and ratio settings, start low and slowly move up.
what i did was to set the ratio at 10 and gain at 5 then i punched it (set your auto peak setting to OFF in the main menu).
i went through W.O.T. 1-3 gears.
take a look at your peak setting and if it's too low, reset it (hold menu and enter button together) then bump up the settings.
ratio at 15, gain at 10.
give the car a wrap through W.O.T. gears 1 through 3.
peak value too low again?
reset and repeat.
bump up the ratio and gain slowly until you reach your desired levels.
generally, the gain should be set below the ratio as to avoid boost spike.
N.B.: i have JDM turbos so boost spike is more prone to my car than your USDM supra.

hope this helps.

by the way, did you get the power meter and the optional harness as well?

·
Registered
417 Posts
also, make sure your AC/WG settings is set to AC since you're on the stock twins.
that's pretty much all the settings you need to set for it to work properly.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
When using manual mode with the SBC-ID, (III in my case), the 'set' function is a ratio of your turbos max boost potential that the controller sees. So if you were to pull you WG actuator hose and let your turbos push out everything they have, lets assume 25 psi, this would be a set ratio of 100. Every car is different, but I had mine 'set' at 78 and saw 18 psi. I was leaking a little out of my actuator and did the spring mod and had to run it down to 54 to see 18 lbs. You need to play with it more, but remember that the set is a ratio of your turbos max output.

Now the gain is how fast your controller lets your turbos spool or ramp up. the lower the setting the slower, but too high and you will spike. I would recommend setting it at 15 while on twins. Now go out and try all this crap.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
When I said I was on 25 set boost, that was for the manual setting. AUTO just simply didnt work. I never knew you had to RESET the controller everytime. Is that required??? Did you have to mess with the limiter functions or anything? Thanks man! I do have the powerID, I think it came with the optional harness, havent really messed with it tho, powerID is a waste to me. (got it in the package deal I got)

Its been on AC, when reading the manual, it said WG was for external wastagates, thanks tho!

That seems a little high but it might be since yours is the III.

So resetting the settings is required? I really want to know what your limiter settings were, does that even mattter???

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hands_on is correct, the ratio is from 0 to 100.
0 being the lowest boost the car will do and 100 being the maximum.
gain is how fast the turbos will spool to that level - also a scale of 0 to 100.
every car is different.
my settings for the ratio is 45 and i get about 17.6psi at full boost.

do you need to reset it everytime?
no.
the reset i mentioned is only for the peak value - it's not a reset of the whole system.
the reason why i tell you to reset is so that you can see what boost levels your car is maxxing out at in every run.
this way, you won't need to keep your eye on the boost controller and you can concentrate on the road while you're going W.O.T.

·
Registered
417 Posts
just skimming quickly through this thread again, you haven't stated your gain settings.
what is your gain set to?
as stated earlier, on the stock twins, you generally need to have the gain setting lower than your ratio to avoid spike which is what you're getting.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i just got on the road and it did help A LOT better. I am going to mess with it more tomorrow. Thanks guys for your inputs, great help. i set my boost to about 80 and I hit about 17.5 psi. I gotta play with my gain settings.

·
Registered
417 Posts
great.
as with the ratio, start off low with your gain and slowly bump it up.
as you go higher, you should notice your turbos to be a lot more responsive and come online to full boost quicker.
as stated earlier, reset your peak values each time to make sure you don't over-boost and spike.
if that does happen, you know you've gone too far and your gain is too high.

i'm glad i could help.
:D

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
What he means by resetting your peak values is to use the 'auto peak' function. In just peak mood it will display your highest peak ever, like perminent number. In auto peak it will clear and display your new highest boost everytime it see's positive boost. Again I would recommend leaving your gain at 15. You can't go high with it like on a external WG.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I forget specifically what my settings are but i know as for gain its around 12-15 simply because i do not want to spike and potentially cause any damage. as for the set, it's in the 63-68 range. this gives me 18psi flat everytime in 3rd gear and above. im not sure if you can hit 18psi in 1 and 2 simply b/c how small the turbo is and like what you said, not enough low in those gears. it seems to me that to hit 17-18psi in the lower gears is to install a MBC on turbo #1 like stu hagen has done i believe. but then again, the supra doesnt have low end power so i dont really car. as for the controller itself, i wont use any other one except maybe the hks evc. my friends have had the greddy and they just suck. dual solenoids are key. dont give up on it. go find some highway and test and tune. thats what i did and it took about 15 min and a couple pulls to find out quickly what will over spike and not

Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts