Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering about prices for a TT 6-speed with engine/transmission problems (even if they have to be raplaced) and a clean title, my dad wants to "bond" before i go to college, and he said he wants us to fix his TR7, then after we do that, we'll do a car of my choice, but it has to need some work...personally, i don't want a salvage title car or a car that needs body work (bent frame for example) because when i get a MKIV, i plan on keeping it for life

i checked the FS section, most are in good condition

i understand that these are good cars, but there have to be SOME with abused engines that are ready to blow/already blown

thanks for any help

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
get an RX-7 if you want a car with a blown engine, there are plenty for sale in rx7club.com.

chances to find a supra wih a blown engine for sale are slim.

·
Registered
80 Posts
puma said:
get an RX-7 if you want a car with a blown engine, there are plenty for sale in rx7club.com.

chances to find a supra wih a blown engine for sale are slim.

Lmfao....no kidding. I would honestly say though that the supra is a more worthwhile car to build because even if you do a bangup job building an RX-7, in 3 years you'll be selling it to a father so he and his son can build it up because it's got a blown engine.

If you're willing to do the whole engine in/engine out deal, I'd maybe think about a nice 5 speed NA car and do an NA-T setup or NA=> TT conversion...you'll have plenty of work to do and chances are the car will have a decent body since they're less frequently modded to high hell.

~Tim

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
funny you say that.....i told my dad RX-7 because you can get them with blown engines easily and was on rx7club last night

but my friend asked why i didn't say a supra and he convinced me to at least TRY for a supra

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I actually had the chance to buy one a couple years ago. 93 black auto TT. It wouldn't pass emissions, burned too much oil and they were going to wholesale it. Dorky salesman tried to sell it to me for $17,000, and I laughed. I told him I would give him $13,000, and we settled at $13,500. I then talked it over with my fiance and I chose not to buy it because we were getting married in a month. I sure do wish I had got that though. That was a RARE opportunity.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
InvisibleMonkey said:
i was wondering about prices for a TT 6-speed with engine/transmission problems (even if they have to be raplaced) and a clean title, my dad wants to "bond" before i go to college, and he said he wants us to fix his TR7, then after we do that, we'll do a car of my choice, but it has to need some work...personally, i don't want a salvage title car or a car that needs body work (bent frame for example) because when i get a MKIV, i plan on keeping it for life

i checked the FS section, most are in good condition

i understand that these are good cars, but there have to be SOME with abused engines that are ready to blow/already blown

thanks for any help
Get a cheaper higher mileage TT and overhaul the whole car. Throw in a new shortblock, tranny, single, suspention... etc... that should keep you two 'bonding' for quite a while. :)

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
I'm with Timdog. Get a clean NA and do the swap. There are plenty out there for not alot of cash. $13-15K will get you a nice car that you can still drive around and learn the feel of the car before you put a bunch of power into it. Then depending on what you want you can go mild or wild. Get a JDM engine and build it up while out of the car drop it in and your good to go, with all the right conversion parts of course.
And before you ask me what all is needed just check the NA section there are 3 or 4 stickeys on the topic that provide ALL the info you need.

Good luck. :)

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
This MkIV TT just sold for $21K and there is no way I would have paid that!
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355191

Keep in mind that finding a MkIV with a blown motor is only going to be typical of APU versions as a NA or stock TT just won’t have those issues and if for some reason they do then they will have been extremely neglected and will have other major problems as well.

Just my opinion!

David

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm sorry....i came back to this thread and realized i never thanked any of you.....i think that since i'm not lovked into getting an RX-7, i'll try to get a high-mileage n/a and use that for a little while and get used to it, buy a GTE, drop it in, get used to it, mod it little by little and i'll be happy and not completely unable to handle it

now the only issue is that my dad doesn't want to get a car that he can't see, feel, or sit in, so it would have to be somewhat local...i'm pretty much screwed aren't i?

i don't think anybody can understand how badly i want a MKIV, i don't think words can even describe it

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
I was the same way when I was looking around. For about a month straight I couldn't think of anything else 99% of the day. No matter what was going on around me, all I could think about was the supra.
I think your best bet might be to see if you can take your dad to look at any TTs for sale in your area, and then save a few hundred bucks, and that should be enough to pay for a plane ticket both ways for you and your dad, and go buy an NA from somewhere.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If you want a real project, buy an RX7 with a blown engine and drop an LS1 into it. My friend has been talking about it for months and, after researching it, the result is a very fast and still well-handling car.

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Diablo - i'll try that and see what he thinks

medici - i know it's been done and i haven't researched it much, but don't you need to do a lot of fabrication?

i'd rather do a GTE swap into a supra than an LS1 swap into an FD

a supra has been my dream car since i was little, an RX-7 is just a car i think looks nice

·
Registered
80 Posts
LS1 swap Rx7 has a better weight distribution in the end because the LS1 is not as heavy as a 13brew. There are companies that make full conversion kits with all the mounts ready to go, just some frame cutting and little stuff that you can do with hand tools.

~Tim

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
InvisibleMonkey said:
Diablo - i'll try that and see what he thinks

medici - i know it's been done and i haven't researched it much, but don't you need to do a lot of fabrication?

i'd rather do a GTE swap into a supra than an LS1 swap into an FD

a supra has been my dream car since i was little, an RX-7 is just a car i think looks nice
There's a few kits out there, so the fabrication is not as big an issue as you'd imagine.

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just read into it, seems pretty cool, but i don't think my dad would go for it, i think he would hear "cut parts of the frame" and say no instantly

besides, i'd still rather have a MKIV TT

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
ive got an rx7 with a blown motor for 4k sitting here for ya... its black, on 18s, has a t60 (with 1.08a/r) turbo.... just needs a rebuild

i was planning on putting a crate 350 motor with th350 trans in it, but i changed my mind

·
Registered
417 Posts
Go Supra bro, Rotory engines will only bring you and your dad to misery rather than bondage cuz you'll only be beating yourselves up when trying to keep up the maintenance on these engines. Besides you only live once and trust me when you can finally call yourself an MKIV owner you WILL be proud of it. Just do us all one favor, PLEASE don't be one of these retards that gets an emaculate, wonder beast and ends up plowing it into a telephone poll or even worse an innocent bystandered. Race legally and happy boosting!

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
swearitsstock said:
ive got an rx7 with a blown motor for 4k sitting here for ya... its black, on 18s, has a t60 (with 1.08a/r) turbo.... just needs a rebuild

i was planning on putting a crate 350 motor with th350 trans in it, but i changed my mind
Pics plz

·
Registered
453 Posts
swearitsstock said:

Fb. Fc. or Fd?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts