Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
sf wont let me post any pics yet for some reason unknown[not enough posts]? but me and my dad were out driving my supra a lil hard today and something went wrong.i had looked in my rearview to see a large white cloud of smoke and car sputter so i let off.
long story short we got the car home and pulled out the new plugs we put in it 3 days ago and the 3rd plug from the nose of the car was crusty and the gap was closed. no sign of it melted in anyway but very crusty and kinda silver in color. the other plugs were just kinda wet and blackish.there was milky fluid all over the engine bey and the dipstick was clean oil but hallf empty.the coolant was clean but overflowed out the overflow tank. we guess it is only a headgasket since the car has 135k miles on it and has never had the motor opened for anything,and we didnt hear any bang noise when it happened just the big cloud of smoke and some sputtering. we had run about 26 psi and 15 degrees of timing on the aem. we did see a steady a/f of 11.2 al lthe time.the car is a 94 6spd with a boostlogic t67 kit with all the supportting mods.
i took close pics of the plugs but cant post them. any one wanna host them to determine if the motor is bad or a simple headgasket job. im scared since dad says the color of the plug looks like the heat coating of the piston.but dont think we ran it hard at all to burn anything up.any ideas on things to look for before we pay someone to take it apart and lie to us and say it needs a whole new motor to rob us.??thanks. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
well, it sounds like you have to open it up to find out for sure what it is....

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
if you found "milky fluid" all over the engine bay i would say maybe you lifted your head and this is why you 1)lost oil 2)overflowed coolant and 3)saw the milky fluid.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
if you found "milky fluid" all over the engine bay i would say maybe you lifted your head and this is why you 1)lost oil 2)overflowed coolant and 3)saw the milky fluid.
agreed on the above.BUT ,explain this:

now what about the 1 spark plug that is sliver and crusty with a closed gap? could have a stock piston coating burnt onto the plug? dosent look like its melted in anyway but looks very strange. could the coolant made it look like this? the a/f was in check at all times[below 11.5 at all times] not ruling out a burnt piston or ring would do this to a plug[hope not]. but hoping the head just lifted and that is the worst.the fix?= complete hg job and have the head machined?then put it back together hopefully? :scratch:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
1chic2nv said:
agreed on the above.BUT ,explain this:

now what about the 1 spark plug that is sliver and crusty with a closed gap? could have a stock piston coating burnt onto the plug? dosent look like its melted in anyway but looks very strange. could the coolant made it look like this? the a/f was in check at all times[below 11.5 at all times] not ruling out a burnt piston or ring would do this to a plug[hope not]. but hoping the head just lifted and that is the worst.the fix?= complete hg job and have the head machined?then put it back together hopefully? :scratch:
i think ur motor's pretty much fucked.

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
pull the head check the gasket...it is a 3 piece metal head gasket so you will see where it is blown out or if it is blown out...your head could also be warped or you will see a burnt up piston. who knows

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would check it, its not worth risking further damage. And if its all good, you have a new headgasket.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SteelCitySupra said:
What gas were you on?
dad mixed up 5 gal. of c16 to the 5 gal. of 93 that was in the tank already.then the 50/50 mix of meth comes on at 18psi and above. timing was a peak ramp of 14 degrees which he says is very low and safe.a/f always stayed in the range of 10.8-11.2. and at this time this happened it was a steady 11.2. the plugs were only 3 days old and the car ran very smooth up until the stutter and then the poof of streeming white clouds of smoke.we think it would be odd that a piston coating/or ring burning up would happen along with the hg since everything was so mild and not extreme conditions.
btw. the new plugs that were in it were those denso ik24[2 steps colder] gap.034.
if anyone wants to host/post a pic of the plugs for me that was nice of you boys.thanks,chrissy :)

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
do any of your plugs look like this?

what problem could this be?sounds like the same problem you have.diagnosis please..

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Before you start taking things apart, I'd suggest you do compression and leak down tests; that will give you an idea of what is communicating with what that should not. If there is bubbling through your radiator, or hissing sound out your oil cap when you do the leak down, that will differencitate between head gasket or piston/rings.

Best of luck
Rich B.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rich B said:
Before you start taking things apart, I'd suggest you do compression and leak down tests; that will give you an idea of what is communicating with what that should not. If there is bubbling through your radiator, or hissing sound out your oil cap when you do the leak down, that will differencitate between head gasket or piston/rings.

Best of luck
Rich B.
wow, my plug looks just like that in the pic.

hey rich, do you think it is even safe to do the leakdown/comp test? should i not even crank it at all and pull off the head first? either way im told it needs a head gasket at the very least. im just worried about the piston. the silver plug worries me.or is it silver because of the coolant?? :scratch:

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
If the side electrode is physically bent to close the gap then more than likely you fragged a piston. If you have a bore scope you could take a look through the plug hole but you are going to HAVE to remove the head regardless of what the problem is. Just pull the head and you will know for sure.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DeanMarcum said:
If the side electrode is physically bent to close the gap then more than likely you fragged a piston. If you have a bore scope you could take a look through the plug hole but you are going to HAVE to remove the head regardless of what the problem is. Just pull the head and you will know for sure.
gap is closed but no bang marks on it. looks like compressed coolant closed it?
and define fragged a piston for me since im a girl please.
i know the head is gonna have to come off either way but i want to be prepared to ship new pistons/rings asap if that is the case.chances are what? any guesses?
tis way i can start ordering some more parts than a headgasket kit if needed. thanks boys. :drool:

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,894 Posts
That silver could be aluminum specs that flake off from detonation. I had some signs of silver specs on another car after I had some detonation issues.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
1chic2nv said:
do you think it is even safe to do the leakdown/comp test? should i not even crank it at all and pull off the head first? either way im told it needs a head gasket at the very least. im just worried about the piston. the silver plug worries me.or is it silver because of the coolant?? :scratch:
Your car was running. From the time it started having problems until it last turned, it probably turned hundreds of thousands of times. A few more can't make much of a difference.

If there is a bad piston, you might not be able to tell by just looking at the head. If you are still worried about doing the compression test, then you could crank it by hand until the pistons are at TDC and just inject compressed air into the cylinder -

BTW, broken piston and all, my plug just looked fouled with oil.

I hope yours is only a head gasket.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sound Performance said:
Silver on plug is from the piston..... do a compression test and leak down. You melted a piston probably from detonation...... but why?
we want to know why also. poor fuel quality?didnt think so but maybe? timing was pretty low ,a/f was dead on.very strange. :scratch:

·
Registered
924 Posts
i am building my 3rd motor right now.This time it will take some time and be all forged .But,i have been on 100% meth for several years now.I think ,as much as i hate to admit it,meth will not allow a acurate air fuel measurement ,especially under heavy boost conditions.My boost controller was set at 28 but it boost spiked ,no idea why,to 32 and fried the 4&5 pistons.The af`s were high 10`s til it spiked ,last 50 feet at the track,and just that fast it was white smoke and gone.You can`t react fast enough reguardless of whether you have a wideband or not.
I`ve taken the meth kit off and sold it to a buick guy.
My car will only run 100% race gas when at the track from now on and low boost on the street will have to do from now on ,motors are TOO expensive ,i haven`t paid for the last 1 yet!
Good luck with yours but i think you know you need a motor,its just hard to take ,i know!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts