Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the supra and drove it for 3 minutes with NO lower intercooler pipe (I forgot to connect it). The turbo made really loud whining noise and it would die after every decelerations.

Later found out the intercooler pipe was popped off. Put it on, but forgot to connect the tubing between the turbo and the actuator; intercooler pipes pop off and the engine dies.

Put everything back together and drive it the third time. All is good, until I slam on the gas. The engine doesn't seem to pick up as fast as it used to. Kind of hesitates or resist revving. I don't remember my supra doing that.

I did also degrease my engine and some water go into the spark valley... would that cause hesitation? Or is my turbo blown? I didn't see any smoke out of the tailpipe though. :eek4dance

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
well your still running an afm right?

if your charge pipe was off your motor wouldn't run good at higher rpms because it would be getting more fuel then needed , the afm seeing more air then the engine is seeing,

then if you had the vac line off on the turbo, i think that would either hold the waste gate open or closed...

and the water could be a cause of poor running conditions.. if she runs, let her idle for awhile to boil off the water on the head.. and see if she runs better after 30 minutes of idling/ easie driving..

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine does run quite strong, but only up to 3k rpms and then it starts losing steam.

What are the other possibilities?

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
the reason the lower IC hose blew off on your second run is because you probably boosted the shit out of the turbo. No vacuum/boost reference to the wastegate means the wastgate spring will keep the gate closed at all times.

As for the third run, the coilpacks getting wet would more likely cause your hesitation. Although by the way you've stated things, you've already driven the car a good amount which should have burned/boiled any liquid off the top of the block. So... i'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Could it be from a clogged cat? I noticed a lot of black smoke when I ran it the first time. Spark plugs fouled?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chrisco said:
As for the third run, the coilpacks getting wet would more likely cause your hesitation. Although by the way you've stated things, you've already driven the car a good amount which should have burned/boiled any liquid off the top of the block. So... i'm not sure.
The coilpacks weren't in the car when I degreased the engine. :hs:

·
Registered
581 Posts
LordLo said:
Could it be from a clogged cat? I noticed a lot of black smoke when I ran it the first time. Spark plugs fouled?
When the intercooper pipe/hose was disconnected, it ran rich as all heck. Since you washed the engine and you probably have water in the plug valley, take off the plugs and inspect them. That should eliminate one possible problem.
It won't hurt to remove the accordion hose and inspect the turbo shaft play. Good luck.

As for the cat, I guess it can clog up, but it's unlikely. If you want to take the time, take the downpipe off from the turbo housing or turbo elbow, and drive a little. It's going to be very loud (plus you can get dangerous fumes in the cab), but do it a little just to test the turbo operation. Install a boost gauge and see how much boost it's making. Also, make sure ALL the intercooler hose connections are tight before driving the car, from now on. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts