Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Addicted to boost
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,

My battery was dying, so I've recently purchased the the Optima Blue Battery (34m) to go along with the blue theme in the engine compartment.

The positive and negative cables do not reach, not even close. If I turn the battery around to get the terminals closer to the connections, that doesn't work either ( and is a lame solution anyway)

Before I bought the battery, I read numerous threads about this battery and some of you claim the cables should just reach while others simply turn the battery around and thier problem is solved.

So, to those have experienced what I'm experiencing right now, what do you do? I would appreciate specific part numbers/stores where you bought your parts to solve this dilemma. Pictures would be great too.

I've called numerous stereo shops and visited numerous auto parts stores, and they don't have a quick solution for me. But, they all say the same thing. And that is I have to replace my cables with longer ones. Is this really the only way???

Any input would be much appreciated.

James
93.5TT

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
The stock cables will reach fine, unless they were tampered with previously.

I've had the Blue Top and the Yellow Top in my Supra, both fit fine. The terminals do get switched around. Positive is on the right, negative on the left if you are facing the car.

If your cables don't reach, your only option is to extend them, which can be a PITA on this car.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If they still don't reach, you can run them to a distribution block and then run 1 wire like a 2-guage or 4-guage to your terminal.
Make sure to use a thick enough wire, take into consideration all of your electrical devices.

·
Registered
457 Posts
T6Rocket said:
Are all Optimas that way? I "was" going to get one! Guess I'll have to mount it in the back!

Al
You can get the orange top optima (I believe the terminals are reversed so, it would be like the stock battery).

I have the blue top and all I did was reroute my positive cable under my power steering reservoir lines and it fits fine.

G

·
0 Posts
The red and yeelow come reversed the number would end in "R" indicating this but I do have the opima blue top and I took the time to buy now terminals and Blue 4 gauge to extend them both Just run the "-" to the bolt that the negative is hooked to right below the battery and run a new one to the starter and to the fuse block. It may take an hour or two but the time is worth is since I hated looking at the battery with the opima logo aiming the wrong way.
But I am very picky about crap like that.

Scott

·
Addicted to boost
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep em coming.

Sully,
you discussed what you did about the positive cable, but not the negative cable. Any good solutions?

Got Twins,
Thanks for your input. I was thinking your idea would be plan "Z", now it's starting to look like plan "A".

Hua,
The car has never been tampered with. I bought it bone stock with intake, exhaust and 29,000 miles 3 years ago. The cables don't reach. Maybe yours reach because you removed the bolt (a valuable grounding point) for the negative right next to the battery tray??? Yes, no???

Michaelrc51,
Good idea. I may just do that. I keep you guys posted on my solution/decision.

Why is it, that after hours and hours of searching threads and learning about products, I buy product "x" only to discover that there is a hitch in installlation or something.
:mad:

James
93.5 TT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts