Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like the only Possible Supra replacement. No one makes inline 6's anymore... Not that it's going to replace a spot in your garage for a Supra, but this would be a nice daily I think.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Nice concept, but 340hp isn't THAT much of an increase over the standard 135 coupe which is much, much cheaper. A dealer installed and warrantied Dinan tune delivers something like 380hp for $2,000. I like the concept, but it under delivers at that price, IMO. Put some bigger turbos (or a large single) on it, bump the base power to a high 3xx number with a tune putting it in the upper 4xx's and come back to me please :)

·
Banned
209 Posts
BMW would never put a large single turbo on one of their cars because it is not of their philosophy to extract power in that manner as it does not make for smooth corner exit when you have a sudden burst of power come on. Two small turbos would probably be more appropriate but I still doubt they'd go that route. Increased displacement would be my guess if they wanted to up power and not upset the handling dynamics.

For 45K I'll pass. I could find a lot of other more desirable cars to me for that kind of money. 993 TT's go for 45k at auction. Could pick up a nice Supra for that. Or a economical daily driver and a motorcycle for the weekend, a pick up and a wave runner, etc

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
BMW would never put a large single turbo on one of their cars because it is not of their philosophy to extract power in that manner as it does not make for smooth corner exit when you have a sudden burst of power come on. Two small turbos would probably be more appropriate but I still doubt they'd go that route. Increased displacement would be my guess if they wanted to up power and not upset the handling dynamics.
BMW switched over to a single turbo on the latest 335. When I say 'large', I'm not talking about a 76mm turbo... I meant something like a Gt35r that would make full boost in the mid 3k RPM range on a DI 3L but still be able to support upper well over 500hp. It won't happen, but I'm just saying for BMW to justify that price point on the M version of the 1-series it will need more than a 40hp bump and some suspension tweak.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'd like to see how this stacks up against the 370z. I definitely like the looks of the 1 series better, but the Z is a pretty nice bang for the buck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The 1m will be cool… my 135i is making 350whp and 359wtq…. Only power modification it has is a tune (not a piggy back)…. The car is a blast at this HP level. Faster than a e92 M3, and way faster than the M3’s of yesteryear.

Honestly the only thing that makes the 1M worth it is the LSD. My car has KW coilovers and front and rear sways, with those simple suspension mods the car handles considerably better, doesn’t quite make up for the M series stiffer bushings around the chassis but certainly makes the care more fun.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
ps. BMW no longer supports Dinan
Hmmm, I hadn't heard of that. It must be because if that simple upgrade to a 335 would retain warranty it would really put a dent in M3 sales. However, it seems like Dinan has taken up the warranty issues on their own.

Dinan is pleased to announce the introduction of the anxiously awaited Stage 2 Performance Engine Software for BMW 335 models. And as always, Dinan matches the new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, including the possibility of consequential damages.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
I generally really like the idea of a badass motor in a small car, but the 1 series is just an ugly car IMHO. I've tried to warm up to it, but cannot. :(

·
Banned
1,874 Posts
i enjoyed driving the 135i i drove. it is small but it feels alot like a e46 3 series. they need to make a ultimate 1m with the v8m engine.

·
Banned
209 Posts
BMW switched over to a single turbo on the latest 335. When I say 'large', I'm not talking about a 76mm turbo... I meant something like a Gt35r that would make full boost in the mid 3k RPM range on a DI 3L but still be able to support upper well over 500hp. It won't happen, but I'm just saying for BMW to justify that price point on the M version of the 1-series it will need more than a 40hp bump and some suspension tweak.
Ah, I thought I read that the 335's come with two small turbos like the Supra.

When anyone says "big single" I immediately think of a 76mm or larger, especially on this forum.

The car is fairly light so 340 hp should be quite peppy.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
im interested.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts