Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my research on 2J swap components for my Z4, I came across quite a few BWM E90 335i's with upgraded turbos making 700, 800, + whp on stock driveline (and engine to boot!). Curious, I found they use the GS6-53BZ 6-speed tranmission. Unfortunately my Z4 uses the GS6-37BZ, which no one has really tested to its limits with torque capability, but this 335i trans may be a good substitution for us Supra guys.

If anyone has any additional experience or comments with these transmissions, please let us know.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I blow my GS6-37BZ, I'll be the next one to try the 335i Twin Turbo trans better believe it!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Drew, I have a 335i with the 6 speed manual and I have a v160 behind my 2jz, both transmissions have a similar feel. The v160 stock shifter feels a lot sportier and shorter than the GS6-53BZ but there are some really nice billet shifter bits on the market now that are actually relatively cheap and effective at fixing this.

335i parts don't have the super car tax that other similar cars have. I see used GS6-53BZ transmission listed for sale for under $1000. I just bought a new clutch kit that is a direct swap, it's the same one that is used on the 550i v10 BMW motor for $350, it's good up to around the 600/600 range.

You take a stock 335i and for around $5k you can have a complete single turbo 750whp daily driver with a custom tune. The most power that I've seen is around the 850whp mark so far but those guys are limited by simple mechanical things right now that should be fixed soon. With the additional fueling mods I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to break the 1000whp barrier on the stock ecu, then we will find out if the trans can take that kind of power or not.

Several auto 335i guys are switching to the manual trans in pursuit of more power and some are putting th400's in them and everything else too.

I looked into it and I don't like the Collins kits so the only kits that I would buy are all foreign but this kit seems pretty legit and it converts to around $1600.
http://www.parts33.com/product/jz-pink-kit-auf-bmw

edit: they claim with this kit the trans has been tested up to 1500nm or 1100ft/lb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts