Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Duper Moderator
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**UPDATE** BMW corporate will be replacing my vehicle.... Now I just need to find a similar one!.

Well guys, its been a while since I posted something up here... But thought everyone may enjoy reading along with this as well. Plus, their is a of course a nifty little video at the bottom. :)

**updates. BMW is wanting to replace the entire engine now. It appears it was a spun bearing.

7 / 5 / 11

7:00 AM - Car goes in for service.

5:36 PM - Metal found in oil pan.

7 / 6 / 11

2:36 - Car diagnosed with a rod bearing that spun on crank shaft. service mechanic called and informed.

3:15pm - Spoke with a (AXXXX) from BMW. Conference call with the BMW supervision and service mechanic (TXXXXXX). Service manager was placed on the phone with (AXXXX) informing of the diagnosis of the car. BMW initially said it would take 3 days to make the call, so I just put them all together. This seemed like the most efficient way of helping the situation and saving BMW time digging up the phone number. Information was discussed concerning the car. No additional information was needed by BMW superviser. The car's diagnosis was given by the service adviser to BMW supervisor (AXXXXXX).

3:33pm - Follow up call to BMW customer relations. Superviser was unavailable. Spoke with (PXXXXX) Left message for superviser (AXXXXX) making sure they had the required information.

4:11pm - Additional follow up. Superviser (AXXXXXXX) was again unavailable. Spoke with (SXXXX). Left message for superviser (AXXXX) again.

7 / 7 / 11

12:42pm - Spoke with (KXXXX) from BMW corporate NA. Waiting to hear from marketing team and engineer to determine how they will fix the situation. Was informed to have a call within 3 days after conversation with the marketing and engineer involved. The part is additionally on back order.

12:52pm - Spoke to (TXXXX) from service, informing him of what BMW corporate NA (KXXXXX) said concerning the vehicle.

*Video below**

BACKGROUND:

I was deciding if I should post anything up, at this early stage, however I figured it would be best to post something up, let you guys follow along, and listen to a wicked little video in the process. I will try to keep the updates play by play to see how the dealership and bmw handle the entire situation. I truly hope that in this horrible situation, bmw and those involved demonstrate why they are the best automobile company on the planet. Also, if you guys have any advice, insight or what not, feel free to PM or just post it here.

As you guys know, I recently purchased a 135i just last week. My introduction is still floating around on the front page here. It was a beautiful jet black with the m sport package and dct transmission. My pride and joy for at least a few nights.

ENGINE NOISE:

While driving, I began to notice a noise coming from the engine bay. It didn't sound like much, may very well have been their when I purchased the car, but never noticed it to the extent it is now, until the noise became more and more horrific. I went ahead and recorded a short video of the noise to try to get some additional insight on what exactly it was. I spoke to a few of the local car enthusiasts on the phone to get their input on the matter and if they had any idea of what the sound could be. We were are all literally stumped. Utterly confused.

SERVICE:

I immediately took it into the dealership bright in early. The car was the first one into service and I was given the standard loaner. Shortly after lunch I received a phone informing me know that the sound was indeed coming from the engine. The engine noises were recorded and sent for further diagnostic to bmw before they began work on the vehicle. Once they got the ok they began work I was informed.

As of now, I was informed that their is metal in the oil pan. When I heard this I cringed. My poor little new 1. Metal chunks in the oil pan, I'm thinking... Well, that is where the situation is at currently, more updates as soon as I hear.

My few short miles with the 135i were pure bliss, minus the extra soft suspension and keeping it under the rpm's for breakin, it was still a fun car to drive around in. I hope things get taken care of professionally.

Again, if you guys have any advice or input, chime in.

HERE IS A SHORT VIDEO OF THE CAR: TAKE A LISTEN...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xTegnxU_xo

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would suggest that you try to get another brand new car. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want a car that's had an engine transplant with only a couple hundred miles on it. I'm sure it's no big deal to the technician or BMW but I would rather have a car from the factory that hasn't been worked on.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
We shall see what happens. I've always been a sucker for inline 6 turbo engines, just never had one fail on me from the factory! haha. :crazy:
I bet they will replace the engine without much of a hassle. It sounds like maybe something was machined incorrectly or assembled incorrectly at the factory so I'm sure they'll do the right thing.

A friend of mine (who also owns a 6speed Supra TT) has a 135i with some Dinan mods (I think ~430+ HP at the crank) and he loves it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
getting a new car is almost impossible. they'll fix the car even if they have too replace 90% of the car. when i was working at ford,a suv was there that the entire weiring of the car needed to be replaced. you should have seen the truck. the whole interior of it was disassembled.

·
Super Duper Moderator
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would suggest that you try to get another brand new car. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want a car that's had an engine transplant with only a couple hundred miles on it. I'm sure it's no big deal to the technician or BMW but I would rather have a car from the factory that hasn't been worked on.
Thanks, that is exactly what I am doing at this stage, not to mention the engine is on back order. The car needs to be replaced, period. I hope BMW really steps up here and delivers.

·
Super Duper Moderator
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet they will replace the engine without much of a hassle. It sounds like maybe something was machined incorrectly or assembled incorrectly at the factory so I'm sure they'll do the right thing.

A friend of mine (who also owns a 6speed Supra TT) has a 135i with some Dinan mods (I think ~430+ HP at the crank) and he loves it.

Good luck!
Thanks Guilly. That was my exact thoughts as well. Doesn't make sense for an engine to let go with 100 miles on it while you are breaking it in properly.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The shop and sales department are 2 separate businesses within a dealership. The shop charges the sales department and vice versa.

You can get a new car if it lemons out a few more times :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
a family friend of ours just purchased a 2011 Z4 Sdrive 35is a couple days ago and came straight over after purchasing it. Car had about 30 miles on it and already had a service engine soon light come up. Took it straight back to the dealer and had to wait a couple days to get his car back. Ended up blaming it on an ecu glitch. : / 2 of my other friends that have bmws both have constant complaints about the electronics glitching/failing. I will most likely NEVER buy a BMW.. I'm not impressed with what you get for the money and I'm not impressed with their reliability.

·
Super Duper Moderator
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shop and sales department are 2 separate businesses within a dealership. The shop charges the sales department and vice versa.

You can get a new car if it lemons out a few more times :)
Additionally, its a lemon from my reading of the law, if the car causes any danger (complete engine failure on the highway road etc. merging) or (diminishes the car's value). Also from my interpretation of the law concerning consumer purchase and commercial code, I may revoke the acceptance of a product if it substantially fails to conform to the sellers warranties and my cancel the purchase, commercial code (2608, 2711). Or, last resort their is the rescission of contract civil code 1689b.3 which I believe I am also covered under. I'm expecting a new car, bmw to right their mistake, and make me whole.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
getting a new car is almost impossible. they'll fix the car even if they have too replace 90% of the car. when i was working at ford,a suv was there that the entire weiring of the car needed to be replaced. you should have seen the truck. the whole interior of it was disassembled.
In my opinion, and after having gone through the ground-up rebuild of a car, I feel this is a BS move on the part of the dealer. I don't care how good their techs are, they'll never be able to re-assemble a car to the fit and finish the factory would be able to. This translates to squeaks, rattles, and at the worst, the loosening of fasteners sometime down the line. I'd be pissed if a dealer expected me to accept a brand new car that had been half disassembled and re-assembled by the local techs.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yes you are right. i'll be pissed too, but dealer and automakers don't work together. dealer fix the car and automakers pay the dealers. dealer can't approve anything that has potential of not getting payed by manufacture. if dealer give a new car to replace the old one it has to be approve by manufacture and to manufacture it's cheaper to fix car than give a new car.

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
As long as they're keeping you in that loaner while waiting for the engine to come in, I don't see what the big deal is. It isn't like they are disassembling the whole car and when you go to sell it no one cares if your 135 is "numbers matching." Frankly, you could do way more damage to that loaner's tires than you could possibly lose telling a potential buyer that your engine was replaced under warranty at 100 miles...

I had a transmission fail in a brand new camry in 1998. It wasn't 100 miles, more like 2500, but I still couldn't help thinking "oh man this car is going to be nothing but problems." That line of thinking is really just silly superstition though, and in my case after the transmission was replaced, it never went back to the dealership and is still in the family running strong to this day.

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
my e36 m3 was nothing but a nightmare of problems. my e46 however has been rock solid. BTW i had a brand new toyota celica back in 2002, one of the coolant lines busted at 600 miles and the engine was replaced under warranty. Few bad apples with every manufacturer, people are just scared of german cars because parts and labor are 10x more expensive.

As for them replacing the engine, i would try to bitch and moan as much as possible for a new car. Im too nice of a person to shit on someones day like that, but my friends mom bought a new X3, the diff went to shit after 4 weeks of owning the car, she made a shit storm at the dealership and got a brand new car ordered.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I didn't need to see this after buying an E46 a week ago... Hope everything gets sorted out for you!
It's really a crap shoot man. Some of them run flawless for 100k miles and some are plagued with issues from day 1. If you're one of the unlucky people then I'd say once your warranty starts to run out, I'd put it up for sale and/or look at trading in lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.