Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the new twin turbo I6 BMW, might be VERY interesting!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
SYONARA said:
What do you guys think of the new twin turbo I6 BMW, might be VERY interesting!

well they been doing I6 motors for a while. and if you look at the bmw sites. Alot of guys have already done Force induction on their BMW :)

thier fav turbo is the GT35r.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I saw a few of those CRAZY machines, but I read BMW is going to officially put them into production now.

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
its an interesting setup and i think its very promising

looks like bmws might turn into the new dyno queens after supras go extinct

the base price is rather similar
the engine setup is kinda similar
the concept is very close
the aftermarket support looks like it will be just as huge as the supra (couple of the bimmer companies are already prototyping for this motor)

·
Recovering Supraholic
550 Posts
"its nice. rides nice to, we got a few in the shop"

tell me about it, 60 bucks for some winshield washer jets, still love bimmers though

·
Doin' the Monster Mash
156 Posts
I thought the engine looked very promising when I first heard about it, but I just wondered how easy it will be to mod. IIRC form the pics I saw they were using a low mount sequential system that could give some problems if used with bigger turbos...

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
Luna said:

tell me about it, 60 bucks for some winshield washer jets, still love bimmers though

$60 is not bad. some japanese cars go up to $50 something each.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
84 Posts
Luna said:

heh, i wasnt meaning in the shop for repairs, i work at bmw northeast headquaters, we get all the new cars in before they go on sale or are still in the testing phase...we also service all the mclaren f1's from texas to the atlantic ocean, , the rest of em go to some place in cali, so fun to see those things around :bigthumb:

·
Banned
770 Posts
and slowly the BMW falls apart like a BENZ... If they were to copy the Supra or Skyline, the car would still be together...

·
Over Medicated
2,724 Posts
It is not going to be a performance machine. It will have less power than the M3 so as not to compete with it's sales. I don't see it being anything more than an expensive novalty to the BMW 3 Series line.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not saying I would go out and buy one , but just to hear that another twin turbo inline six (or any turbo 6 cyl.) is going into production kinda gets the juices flowing reminds me of "back in the day" when Buick GN's, 300ZX TT's, RX-7 TT's, 3000GT VR4's and the like were prowling the streets. Made races more fun and leveled the playing field, to where nobody quite knew what the other guy had.

Also I think that BMW is in for ALOT of warranty claims that are going to flood in.

·
Registered
834 Posts
SYONARA said:
Not saying I would go out and buy one , but just to hear that another twin turbo inline six (or any turbo 6 cyl.) is going into production kinda gets the juices flowing reminds me of "back in the day" when Buick GN's, 300ZX TT's, RX-7 TT's, 3000GT VR4's and the like were prowling the streets. Made races more fun and leveled the playing field, to where nobody quite knew what the other guy had.

Also I think that BMW is in for ALOT of warranty claims that are going to flood in.
Knowing German cars, I bet you can't mod it nearly as much as you thing. Some part of the driveline will be weak.

Sam

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I doubt it will be a tuner's dream.

With the M3, M5 and M6, the last thing BMW want is those owners coming back demanding their money back because some 335 raped their ass.

They will make a weak drivetrain, a weak engine that can't hold another 5PSI of boost without breaking and the turbos/wastegate/etc. won't support it either. Just to make it difficult to mod.

Plus, whoever buys that car won't mod it anyway. Wrong demographics.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts