Supra Forums banner

BMW X5 4.4 alternatives...

433 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  begone 
#1 ·
I was recently talking to my aunt and she is in the market for a new SUV. She currently has a X5 4.4 and she still loves it, but it's closing in on the 100K miles area and she wants to have a new truck. She is still in love with the lines of the X5 and how it drives. I've made her demo a RX400-h and she liked quite a bit, but not enough to make her swing and buy one. She says it's not exclusive enough and that every other soccer mom drives one (she has no kids and does NOT want to be associated with the neighboring soccer-moms of her gated community...).

She does quite a lot of sports (scuba diving, surfing, etc, so she needs the room) and she likes the "sporty" feel of the X5. I'm not 100% familiar with prices in the US, so thats why I'm asking for a bit of help. For price bracket, think X5 4.4.

So far, I've suggested the Range Rover Sport, which looks very unique, is more exclusive, plenty fast and is just a good truck. She is not against it. She does not like the Cayenne very much (and it's a bit too expensive I think). She is not extremely fond of the FX45 either, unfortunately. I've yet to suggest the new ML500, which might be a good alternative. Forget the Volks because it's not a luxury brand, so you can see I'm kinda running out of ideas here.

Anyways, it's also an excuse to start on a different topic than the usual Z06 vs "the world" conversation. :gapteeth:

BTW, when is the new X5 due? It's been around forever.

-Olivier

See less See more
#3 ·
Although I am not a GL fan - dont forget about the new GL450.

If she is only looking for a "luxury brand" its a quite limited. Off the top of my head her choices in the 60k or less area are: BMW X5 - 3.0, 4.4; BMW X3; MB GL450; Audi Q7 4.2; MB ML350, ML500; MB R350, R500 - which I have a strange fetish with; Lexus GX470; Lexus RX330, RX400h; Land Rover LR3, Land Rover Range ROver Sport HSE; Porsche Cayenne, Cayenne S.

Thats about it when it comes to lux brands - My suggestion is the GX470 and RX400h. If shes doesnt care about the value drop and pita of owning a Benz as compared to Lexus - the R capitvates the hell out of me for some reason. Otherwise tell her to just stick with the X5 I guess. The SUV market in general does not wow me at all.

#8 ·
Spoke to her on the phone today with a couple of your suggestions, and I think it's a lost battle. :(

At least I convinced her to get the X5 in White, should be pretty striking. :)

Thanks for all the input. I've never seen the A7 yet Sam, how does it look like?

-Olivier

#11 ·
I'll try to convince her, but I don't think it's gonna work. I'll keep you guys updated with whatever car she choses and post pics. :)

I also have an extensive FJ Cruiser review that should be ready soon.

-Olivier

#12 ·
If she likes sporty SUVs get the Cayenne. People that have done reviews of it, love it.

Don't go with the RR Sport. It's suspension is way too sporty for a SUV (too stiff), and it looks like complete shit compared to the regular Rang Rover SUV. RR Sport looks cheap IMHO.

So Cayenne if she likes a sporty SUV. If it's too expensive for her, get a slighty used one. She can save a lot of money doing that.

#14 ·
Vilhelm said:
If she likes sporty SUVs get the Cayenne. People that have done reviews of it, love it.
So Cayenne if she likes a sporty SUV. If it's too expensive for her, get a slighty used one. She can save a lot of money doing that.
It's "sporty" I suppose, but in the real world all Cayennes save the Turbo are absolutely nothing special motor-wise. Last time I checked, th entry models were slower than, say, a V8 4Runner which is a real body-on-frame SUV with relatively heavy-duty capacities and 4wd capabilities. Fairly irrelevant because the person isn't question doesn't like Cayenne's regardless....but I felt like nit picking.

While I'm on a roll, that new Audi posted above looks like poop. Did Audi just borrow a Chrysler Town & Country, put normal rear doors on it and uglier wheels?

Olivier, out of all the options she is seems to be seriously considering, the BMW is probably hard to beat. A white 4.4 will be a horny looking rig, and I'll happily take my chances with BMW over VW/Audi, Mercedes and Range Rover ANY day of the week. BMW usually has some decent lease packages going, so hopefully that helps her out too.

#15 ·
Too bad she doesn't like the FX. That thing drives like a dream and feels like a sports car - just higher up.

That SRT Cherokee is pretty sweet. I saw one the other day at the dealership. But I also like the GX430, that's pretty good looking too.

Either way the X5 is a good choice, although I'm down on BMW right now cause of bad experiences with the Service Department, BMW's vehicles are top notch and offer a driving experience unlike any other car I've driven for the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.