Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/general/nextchapter/index.html

It's possible BMW may not have hired the most clever web designers for the BMW X6 M website as the source code contains some rather telling tags, like "550 HP" and "Twin Scroll Twin Turbo."

Despite all outward appearances, we of the Jalop are by no means master web ninjas, but Firefox has this neat feature called "View Page Source" which lets you look under the hood of any website you visit. Doing so for the just-launched BMW X5 M and X6 M minisite reveals the following tag cloud:

Crafted at M, SAV, SAC, Sports Activity Vehicle, Sports Activity Coupe, E70 M, E71 M, X5M, X5 M, X6M, X6 M, M GmbH, BMW M, discussion, behind the scenes, news, spyshots, spyshot, prototype, disguise, disguised, testing, Nordschleife, Nürburgring, report, blog entry, image material, press, press release, eight-cylinder engine, V8, Twin Scroll Twin Turbo, 550 bhp, performance, motorsport, sport, dynamics, xDrive, X-Drive, all-wheel, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Head Up Display, dynamic, sophisticated, feedback, gills, lightweight, spaciousness

Oops. Seems the overzealous designers were hankering for some love from Google and included all the key details about the cars in an effort to maximize searchability. It's possible the details revealed here aren't exact, but we doubt it. So now we know they're both likely to get V8's equipped with two twin-scroll turbochargers blasting out a ridiculous 550 HP, all-wheel drive, heads-up display's and the same Adaptive Drive found on the 7-series. And what is this business of "gills?" The complete details will be arriving in thirty days when the vehicles are completely revealed, or sooner when some real h4xorz turn the website into swiss cheese.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I love my X5, only regrets where it not having more power, and not ordering it with the black 21s instead of the 20" sport wheels. One of these could probably solve both problems, anyone who hasn't driven a 4.8i with Sport package should take one for a spin, it's amazing how well one of these tank of a truck SUVs can handle, I guess having tires wider than most sports cars can't hurt.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
I love my X5, only regrets where it not having more power, and not ordering it with the black 21s instead of the 20" sport wheels. One of these could probably solve both problems, anyone who hasn't driven a 4.8i with Sport package should take one for a spin, it's amazing how well one of these tank of a truck SUVs can handle, I guess having tires wider than most sports cars can't hurt.
i was looking at the x5's and the new M version is going to be sick sick sick.

I went with a jeep srt8 instead :p

·
4,109 Posts
Why is BMW making more X6s? Are they actually selling any of those monstrosities?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Why is BMW making more X6s? Are they actually selling any of those monstrosities?
X6 is currently available with the Twin Turbo V8, X5 isn't. A lot of demand for them has been because of that, and they're popular overseas as well. I think once the X5M comes out many X6 buyers will now be purchasing X5Ms

·
Registered
148 Posts
X6 is just plain fugly. I loved my 05 4.4 X5 as a DD.04-06 X5 is my personal fav body style. Seriously is there a need for 400HP+ out of a DD luxury car. Your just wasting gas for no reason. I mean yeah its cool to say you have 450+hp in your cayenne but your getting 12mpg's for no reason n they still do 6 sec to 60. I mean these cars are boats and to have a good get up n go power is nice but the huge hp numbers are just overkill.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
X6 is practical for some though, personally when I got my X5 and saw the X6 coming out, I realized it would probably work much better for my needs. I don't use the 3rd row seat as much, and don't have a bunch of kids but wanted a SUV for when I have to get groceries or hit Home Depot. The X6 with more power than the X5 is a selling point to me for that reason, and likely is for other people who wanted an SUV, but also wanted a sporty daily driver. I'm not sold on the X6 looks, but am sure you can make one look good with a proper drop and some HRE's.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
You know what that means? The M5 and M6 will also get the same transplant. There have always been rumors that the next M6/M6 will be twin turbo. Fuck me, imagine once Dinan/Vishnu get a hold and just turn up the boost a touch, we are talking about 600+hp:)

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BMW's "terrible twins" have been officially unleashed upon us. Details of the X5 M and the X6 M have been confirmed, from the engine size and power output to styling details. It has been more than a year since speculation began over BMW M Division's first foray into the world of über SUVs. Since then spy pictures of both vehicles, together and separately, have done the proverbial rounds.

Both the X5 M and X6 M are fitted with a newly-developed 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 making a confirmed 555hp (408kW) at 6,000rpm and maximum torque of 500 lb-ft (678Nm) between a very broad band of 1,500 and 5,650rpm. The turbos produce maximum boost pressure of 1.5 bar.

Mated to an M engine for the first time is a 6-speed M Sports Automatic transmission with full automatic mode as well as M driving mode. The latter can be actuated with the gear lever or with paddles behind the steering wheel. The driver can rev it up all the way to the redline before changing gears without any automatic interference from the car. This is also useful for the launch control function. Combined with xDrive AWD these and other systems are said to give both cars a 0 - 60mph sprint time of 4.5 seconds. Top speeds were not given but it is safe to assume an electronically limited figure of 155mph (250km/h).

The X6's Dynamic Performance Control system is now available for the X5 M too. Working in conjunction with xDrive it assists in keeping the vehicles grounded and grip to a maximum. With a weight distribution ratio of close on 50:50 these twins are already well-balanced for performance.

The wheels are 20-inch alloys and tyres are runflat types with sizes 275/40 R 20 at the front and 315/35 R 20 at the rear. Features include ABS brakes, trailer stability control, Servotronic steering, an electronic parking brake with autohold and hill descent control. Other nice stuff includes rain sensors, cruise control, iDrive, adaptive xenon headlights and rear view cameras.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-x6-m-and-x5-m/
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-x5-m-1/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-9r0y-t-_s

·
Registered
889 Posts
Interesting...

·
Registered
16 Posts
All I can think about is how unreal it would be to drive around with a huge turbo sticking out of the middle of the hood instead of a blower...

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Ugly, ugly, ugly vehicles... The engine is interesting. I am curious to find out how the engineers got around the issue of heat in regards to the turbo placement.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Dean Tomazic, vice president-Engine Performance and Emissions Div. at FEV Inc., an independent engine and powertrain systems research and development company, says all this rearranging results in three major benefits: better packaging, improved cold-start emissions and the elimination of turbo lag.

Moving the turbos from outside the cylinder banks to the center of the engine shrinks the powerplant’s footprint and creates more room in the engine compartment for the steering column and other mechanisms that cause packaging headaches for vehicle designers, Tomazic says. It also eliminates the issue of installing bulky heat shielding on both sides of the engine to protect other components from the high temperatures the turbos generate.

Locating turbos and catalysts in the center of the engine also improves emissions, he says.

Turbochargers complicate cold-start emissions because they absorb exhaust gas heat and slow the time it takes catalytic converters to “light off” and reach optimum operating temperature. By placing the turbos and converters on top of the engine close to the combustion chamber exhaust ports, they heat up faster, providing cleaner emissions during startup.

The short path from exhaust port to turbine also minimizes heat losses and improves turbocharger efficiency.

The third benefit of a centralized turbo arrangement is what Tomazic calls “improved transient response,” otherwise known as reduced turbo lag.

“A more compact exhaust system means minimizing the volume between the pistons when they push out the exhaust and the (turbocharger) turbine. With this arrangement you can’t get smaller than that, therefore you have optimized transient response,” he says.

Auto makers have experimented with the concept for years, but until recently were fearful. “They were afraid of overheating turbochargers, overheating the entire engine compartment. We know of cases where the paint on the hood (of a test vehicle) peeled off.”

Still doesn't explain the heat management.

·
1,793 Posts
That engine in an M5 will have Cadillac shitting itself. But it's going to be damn expensive.

X6 is still stupid looking, but the "M" guise helps immensely. Body-colored fender material and a reduction in that massive wheel gap did wonders. 315's in the back isn't too shabby, either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts