Supra Forums banner

BMW Z4 Build

22K views 151 replies 54 participants last post by  FastTurbo 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#5 ·
#10 ·
Thanks guys. Not sure if this will work, but step by step. Goals are to make this into a track monster. I'll leave the highway prowess to the MKIV. I've always considered the Z4 Coupe an artistic car, pretty enough to stare at and admire, but with one of the stiffest chassis every produced, no sense in wasting that strength on straight line only. Got this thing for such a steal, couldn't pass it up!

Obviously, not an M, and the very bottom of the prestige scale (automatic as well) that I don't feel guilty tearing it up. One thing I have to admire is how expansive the Supraforums community has it with regards to technical know how. I can find anything I need regarding any bolt on this forum, and know its history, who made the bolt, and how many threads it has. Move to a BMW, and that info is practically non-existent (especially in the Z4 community). So, this makes the project slightly more difficult.

Challenge accepted :nervous:

#11 ·
very nice build bro !!
best of luck

#23 · (Edited)
Yes, but what I hate about this type of flooring is jacks, engine stands, lifts, everything digs into the plastic. I've had to be innovative when raising my car.

Talk to 18Fab about the mounts..they sell nice E46 mounts!

This is awesome! I am glad you are doing it to a coupe!

Is that the Collins adapter kit you are using? I have a PMC kit to use with my E46 Getrag for my 2J E36 M3 this winter when I remove the R154.
Yes, Collins adapter with Collins aluminum pressure plate and pilot bearing adapter. As for mounts, 18Fab seems to be a work in progress, nothing on the market yet? And, CXRacing mounts didn't fit. I have no choice but to fab my own, and have no problem doing so. Part of the fun of this build is to do it yourself!

I'll start with a JDM VVTI assembly, mated to the ZF GS6-37BZ 6-speed trans (used on Z4M and e46 330i), Z4M manual driveshaft, Z4M Auto rear non-LSD with 3.64 gearing (stock), but going to 6SPD rear axles which are 38mm diameter (vs 31mm on my current auto Z4).

Was speaking with Reid Sound Performance on some options, this is slated to be a track monster, not highway king. That should give you some hints right there. Baby steps - first thing is to mount the engine, convert this Z4 from Auto to Manual shift, and make sure it runs. Goal is to have everything working, AC, all the buttons, interior, etc.

This is a bit ironic that the new Supra is rumored to be BMW/Toyota partnership, and perhaps Z4~Z5 based platform. I'm trying to beat them at their game :brownnose

#21 ·
Waiting for parts.. ordered some 2J - E46 motor mounts. 15lbs massive steel mounts that didn't even align properly, and cost me a bundle. Returning them and fabbing my own.

#22 ·
Talk to 18Fab about the mounts..they sell nice E46 mounts!

This is awesome! I am glad you are doing it to a coupe!

Is that the Collins adapter kit you are using? I have a PMC kit to use with my E46 Getrag for my 2J E36 M3 this winter when I remove the R154.

#27 ·
Awesome build and good luck

#28 · (Edited)

Now the secret:

Wonder what the hell that is... :D :D :D

#29 · (Edited)
Spent quite some time trying to find other E46 swap threads, details, photos, etc. I haven't found a single technical photo, specifically of the motor mounts (and there seems to be quite a few of these swaps on E46s done).

Had some delay, waiting for parts.. ordered some 2J - E46 motor mounts. 15lbs massive steel mounts that didn't even align properly, and cost me a bundle. Returning them and fabbing my own. Will be welding 1/4" thick aluminum, should be stout.

#30 ·
Looking at this and your oil pan issues, the 2jz in my miata ran into a similar issue where the oil pan did not play nice with the subframe. This makes me think dry sump is the answer...great now i want to re do my entire car because i read this thread lololol.